Why my Mods don't work?

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
^Dagon^
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Why my Mods don't work?

Unread postby ^Dagon^ » 12 Nov 2006, 13:52

I read somewhere that PAK files are just renamed ZIP files. But when I ZIP a mod and rename it to PAK it never seems to work. However, if I put a file (for example a creature file) into one of the existing mods, it works properly. I believe it has something to do with the way folders are zipped. I used Winrar to PAK mods. Any ideas?

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 12 Nov 2006, 20:11

I think it is because you compress the files. You have to use the store compression mode (which is in fact no compression). That way should work.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 12 Nov 2006, 23:52

one of these days I'm going to have to finish the mod manual I've been working on.

here's what you do:

1. extact the .pak file to a separate directory (using winrar or winzip).
-make sure you maintain the directory structure when you unzip it.

2. use some shareware or freeware proggy that allows you to change the timestamps on all the files in the directories you just unzipped.
-I like this one: http://webplaza.pt.lu/~rpetges/

3. once you have updated the timestamps, rezip the files (again, making sure to maintaint the correct directory structure) into either the original or a new pak file (make sure to use ZIP compression, NOT RAR if you are using winrar).

normal compression is ok, or you can use the "just store" method.

if it doesn't work, go back and recheck and make sure you got the directory structure right.

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 13 Nov 2006, 11:42

I use winrar to "redate" the mods too... but i don't use a specific program to "update" the mod, i just open the file , change something, press "undo" , save, zip and ".pak" it again (someone here, i think it was theGryphon recommened me this procedure)...

... but unfortunately the game crashes when playing with those updated mods, guess i did something wrong....
Until i discovered this thread i believed this was because i used winrar instead of winzip.... but it appears the fault must lie elsewhere!

Maybe i'll just have to wait 'til them mod page on CH gets updated for 1.4.

edit: typo
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

^Dagon^
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ^Dagon^ » 13 Nov 2006, 15:59

What exactly are timestamps?

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 14 Nov 2006, 09:30

I use winrar to "redate" the mods too... but i don't use a specific program to "update" the mod, i just open the file , change something, press "undo" , save, zip and ".pak" it again (someone here, i think it was theGryphon recommened me this procedure)...
that's fine for mods with only a few files in them. some have a great many files in them though, and that's where the utility to change the timestamp on the files comes in handy.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 14 Nov 2006, 09:33

^Dagon^ wrote:What exactly are timestamps?
every file on your puter has a date/time associated with it as to when it was last modified (the date you see next to the file when you view the properties, or list it in detail.

in this specific case, H5 uses the datestamp on the files to figure out which ones are most recent, and so take precedence over any others.

this is how Nival "patches" the software: they simply put changed files with newer dates in your data directory, and these supercede the older versions of the files.

yeah, it's stupid, I know. At least it's easy to modify.

^Dagon^
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ^Dagon^ » 14 Nov 2006, 15:53

If this is the case, I am pretty sure its not timestamps that cause the problem, because files I create are always newer than those of the game so they should always work which they don't. As for the 'store' mode, I always use it with no results. It must be something else...maybe its time for my Hex Editor.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 Nov 2006, 15:55

The problem is that they need to be more recent than those of the patches.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

^Dagon^
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ^Dagon^ » 14 Nov 2006, 20:17

I had no patches installed so they were more recent than the game files. They still didn't work.

^Dagon^
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ^Dagon^ » 14 Nov 2006, 21:09

Sir_Toejam wrote:one of these days I'm going to have to finish the mod manual I've been working on.

here's what you do:

1. extact the .pak file to a separate directory (using winrar or winzip).
-make sure you maintain the directory structure when you unzip it.

2. use some shareware or freeware proggy that allows you to change the timestamps on all the files in the directories you just unzipped.
-I like this one: http://webplaza.pt.lu/~rpetges/

3. once you have updated the timestamps, rezip the files (again, making sure to maintaint the correct directory structure) into either the original or a new pak file (make sure to use ZIP compression, NOT RAR if you are using winrar).

normal compression is ok, or you can use the "just store" method.

if it doesn't work, go back and recheck and make sure you got the directory structure right.
Ok, I finally figured it out. Your post was of great help, thnx.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 25 Nov 2006, 20:12

Most of this talk I don't understand, lol. I understand that date stamps are important to Hammers of Fate.

I deleted all the mods that I had installed, using the listing on the mods page.

I have unzipped some mods to a test directory to make it easier to change the time stamps.

I downloaded the program you mentioned, Sir Toejam.

So if I run this program, and go to my test directory, I just change all the file dates so they are newer than the files in the dataa1 directory, and copy them to the data directory and they should work?

When I first installed Gryphon's 1.4 mod, the wait button was missing, but all the other buttons were there. I am hoping that removing all the old mods and the reinstalling them will get the 1.4 mod to work.

Oh. One other question/comment. I did not install the 1.4 patch because so many people had trouble with it. Could that be why Gryphon's 1.4 mod won't work? I would have expected HOF to have all those changes in it.

Color me confused by all this. :-D

Edit to add one more question.
Sorry to be so dense, but after I change the dates, and put the pak files in the data folder, do I have to restart the map I'm playing?

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”