Question about experience requirements

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
Phobos
Demon
Demon

Question about experience requirements

Unread postby Phobos » 03 Nov 2006, 13:35

I was wondering whether it's possible to modify the number of experience which is required in order to advance to the next level. I find the current amounts absurdly high, especially after level 20, as it's almost impossible to reach level 30 in ordinary scenarios, thus making it hard to ever have the Ultimate abilities. I would like to change the requirements to what they were like in Heroes III. Can this be done by tampering around with data files, and if it can, how?

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 03 Nov 2006, 21:41

seems likely.

I'll take a look.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 04 Nov 2006, 02:02

With each new level gained, the experience required for the next level rises exponentially. This is how it has always been in Heroes games, and it seems quite understandable to me too. After all, your hero should be very powerful at high levels and the same goes for any creatures he controls, so the hero should have no especial difficulty battling large armies, and thus gaining more experience.

So, rather than tinkering around with experience, why don't you download the mod that enables you to reach the ultimate abilities much sooner, with a bit of planning?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 04 Nov 2006, 08:15

Metathron wrote:With each new level gained, the experience required for the next level rises exponentially. This is how it has always been in Heroes games, and it seems quite understandable to me too.
It would indeed seem to be similar in all games at first, but let's compare. The experience requirements are quite like those of the previous versions up to level 25 or so. After that they start to get ridiculously high in number five--to reach level 31, Heroes III wants only 595,948 experience points, while reaching that level in Heroes V takes 1,228,915 experience points! That's twice as much! On level 36 this gets absolutely insane: to get to the level you need 33 million experience! Can you see the difference here?
Metathron wrote:After all, your hero should be very powerful at high levels and the same goes for any creatures he controls, so the hero should have no especial difficulty battling large armies, and thus gaining more experience.
That was possible in the earlier versions, but due to the high demands on later levels, you need to kill insane amounts of creatures in HV. Think about this - a Black Dragon gives 353 experience points, and to reach level 36 you need about 33,000,000. That's 100,000 Black Dragons! And even if your hero had the ability to beat such a mindless number of beasts, there are still not enough of them! The hero will be able to gain more experience as he gets stronger, of course, but the demands are so insane that there just isn't enough experience around.
Metathron wrote:So, rather than tinkering around with experience, why don't you download the mod that enables you to reach the ultimate abilities much sooner, with a bit of planning?
I did, but I'd enjoy much more if the experience requirements could be changed.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 04 Nov 2006, 13:55

Ah, I thought you meant lowering the experience needed from level 1 on. I now see what you mean more precisely. Yes, the requirements after level 25 do seem absurd, and if those could be altered, that would be a good idea.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”