Campaign heroes available in normal/mp maps?

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
Breger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Campaign heroes available in normal/mp maps?

Unread postby Breger » 24 Jul 2006, 08:06

I've looked around, tried principally everything I've read, but none of it works. How do I do to make the campaign heroes available in multiplayer/singleplayer maps?
Thanks in afvance, to any answer.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 Jul 2006, 10:21

Well, I've not tried it myself, but you do need to edit every single map you want to make them available in. Someone most likely already have created such a mod, but I can't remember if I've seen it.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 24 Jul 2006, 14:22

There are two steps:

1) Edit each map to allow the new heroes. At the end of the map file there is a section that looks something like this
<AvailableHeroes>
(list of heroes)
</AvailableHeroes>

You can either add the new heroes to the list or enable all heroes by replacing that entire section with this line:
<AvailableHeroes/>

*Note - using the second method will take the hero list from the All.xdb file in MapObjects. I know of one hero (Maeve fron Haven) that is omitted from that list and will not appear unless added back in.

2) Edit the hero's .xdb file and change the <campaignhero> parameter from "true" to "false".

Breger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Breger » 24 Jul 2006, 16:49

So, if I take away all these lines of heroes, and replace them all with <AvailableHeroes/> it will work, right? I've already changed the .xbd files of the heroes.

</isUntransferable>
</AvailableHeroes>
(list of heroes)
</AvailableHeroes>
<MapRumours/>

That's what it looked like. Now, it looks like this:
</isUntransferable>
<AvailableHeroes/>
<MapRumours/>

Is this the way it's supposed to look like? If not, please correct me. And, what do I do with the map afterwards. Pack it up into the data.pak again?

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 24 Jul 2006, 17:04

Breger wrote:So, if I take away all these lines of heroes, and replace them all with <AvailableHeroes/> it will work, right? I've already changed the .xbd files of the heroes.

</isUntransferable>
</AvailableHeroes>
(list of heroes)
</AvailableHeroes>
<MapRumours/>

That's what it looked like. Now, it looks like this:
</isUntransferable>
<AvailableHeroes/>
<MapRumours/>

Is this the way it's supposed to look like? If not, please correct me. And, what do I do with the map afterwards. Pack it up into the data.pak again?
Right, that should do it.

Don't pack into Data.pak, instead make a new .pak file with whatever name you wish. Make sure to keep the file structure when you zip the modded files. For testing purposes you don't even need to pack the file, just place the folders in the data folder and it should work.

Breger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Breger » 24 Jul 2006, 18:10

Right. But, the map doesn't show up. Why not? I have made a new .pak file with the map and few files that comes with it, but it still does not appear.
Must I change the map name? If that's the case how do I do that?
And thes campign heroes, I'd be able to choose them from the selection screen, right?
Thanks for all the help so far.

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 24 Jul 2006, 18:45

I recommend that you make copies of the files that you wish to modify and place them in the Data folder. These will be your "work" files which you can quickly edit and then try out without the need for packing between tests. Start by making an obvious change to one of your work files (like removing all but one hero from a map) and then test it out. If you see your change then all is good and you can make your real modification, you know that that part will work properly. Then move on to the next file in the same fashion.

If you make all of your changes at once it's likely that you can mess something up and none of it will work and you'll have no idea of what is wrong.

As for your questions, you don't need to change the map name, and yes, the camp heroes will show up at the selection screen.

Breger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Breger » 24 Jul 2006, 19:10

Thank you very much for your help, Arstahd.
It all works now.
Thanks once again, for all help.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 31 Jul 2006, 06:44

You may also need to edit the heroes to set <ScenarioHero> to 'false'.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Aug 2006, 02:32

cool, just finished the campaign and i wouldn't mid seeing some of the campaign heroes available for use in the single scenarios
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”