question to modders - performance

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

question to modders - performance

Unread postby csarmi » 10 Jul 2006, 13:27

Hi all!

I'm playing the game on 256mb memory and it won't change anytime soon. So I often get crappy framerates, save and load takes forever, going into castles takes long and sometimes switching between heroes too (because the game tries to move the camera between the two hero positions smoothly).

It's playable, however.

Now because of this slowness I can't really play with settings (modding here and there, trying to find out what does what). I would do that myself if it didn't take like 20 mins to start/load the game anytime I want to.

So my question is: what do you guys suggest to make it perform better? What settings shuld I use, where... what should I mod and how, etcetera. I already found out that modding the camera zoom and such can help, any other ideas?

I want to maximize framerate.
I don't give a **** about shiny graphics, I don't need them at all. I'd prefer it to be a fat 2d shape but since it isn't, I'll have to go with this one.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 28 Jul 2006, 21:54

unfortunately, there doesn't seem much one can do to improve performance through the settings dialogs.

make sure to disable "eyecandies" in the graphics options, that helps a little (requires the map to be restarted though, :( )

the main problem is that large maps require tremendous amounts of RAM to load.

It looks as though Nival programmed it so that the entire map and all the effects try to load into memory at once (I guess that would actually HELP performance, provided you have enough RAM).

However, unless you have about a gig of RAM, your performance will REALLY suck.

so, bottom line, trying to run this game on 256 RAM will have horrendous results, no matter what you do.

I have 512 RAM, and normal maps play peachy under standard graphics settings, go to a large map, and things start to slow down. go to a very large map, and things crawl as the hard drive is accessed almost continuously.

see for yourself; when you are playing the game, see how often the hard drive light comes on showing disk access. My guess is that with only 256 RAM, the light will pretty much be on continuously.

er, which also suggest that a good defrag of your harddrive will help a bit as well.

good luck.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 02 Aug 2006, 21:16

I have 512MB and do not have performance problems. I use minimal graphics settings and the hard cursor.

Sir T, it could be your problem is not in your memory but in your graphics card.

BTW: This is kinda off topic for the modding discussion. Maybe it could move to tech support?
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Aug 2006, 23:06

I thought that your way for tweaking may lead in this direction >> viewtopic.php?p=55095#55095 ie in direct editing h5 cfg file. Also, did you tried to crawl google or ubi forum? ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”