Modding FAQ

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
Revenged
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Modding FAQ

Unread postby Revenged » 05 Jun 2006, 15:21

No...I don't have one.

But how about it? Could someone with some modding experience write an FAQ?

I'm sure there are a lot of people besides me who'd love to experiment a little, but just don't know how to do it.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 05 Jun 2006, 15:31

It could be a group effort. Let's throw a couple of questions and answers and we'll put them together in a sticky.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Revenged
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Revenged » 05 Jun 2006, 15:49

Great idea.

Here's a few questions, to get things started (in no particular order):

1) Will a text editor suffice for modding?
2) What kinds of changes are possible?
3) What files are editable?
4) What files are NOT editable (besides the obvious ones)?
5) Ok, I have this file on my editor. Can you give me a quick rundown what changes what?
6) I want to change the speed/initiative/attack/defence/etc of Devil/Unicorn/Footman/Bukkake monster. How can I do that?
7) This creature model is downright hideous. Is there any way to change it?
7.1) I'm an expert in 3D MAX. Can I use my own models?
8) I don't like the music in H5. How do I change it?
8.1) I love the music in H1/H2/H3/H4 and I want to use it when playing H5. Help!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 05 Jun 2006, 19:37

1. Obviously not if you want to mod graphics. Otherwise, yes.
2. So far, creature stats and skills, hero starting skills, war machines and spells as well as what speciality it has, skill prer-reqs. I think I can mod what "week of":s are used as well, but haven't tested yet. Icons for pretty much everything. Names.
3. Basically, anything in the data folder. Don't know about the rest.
5. Show me the file and I'll tell you ;)
6. find data\data.pak\GameMechanics\Creature\Creatures\*town*\*creature*.xdb
Extract, while keeping path (Winrar does this). Edit file. zip entire structure, and rename to .pak. Done.
7. Yes. Don't know how, though.
8. Make some .ogg files. Replace those you want to replace in /music. No idea if there's some check of length.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

sisko
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sisko » 06 Jun 2006, 15:37

I like the idea of a modding faq ( would the people making this be modding faqers B-) ? )

How much is actually moddable in the game.

Let's say you want to make a completely different theme (ie Startrek). You can make new "creature" models. ( klingon targ, lvl 1 :D ) But can you also make the towns look different and all the other textures.
Would it "theorethically" be possible to change the adventure map to something spacy, and the towns to planets. (it still could be cool if it was a planet based map if not possible) And the number of factions, they can change since the expansion will have one or two. But can we already make one if enough effort is used.

Also i do know such a theme effort is a team effort. So if all this is possible, how can we get like minded people to create something like this.

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 10 Jun 2006, 15:26

One thing that would be really interesting if possible would be to ability to change the odds to get offered each skill/ability when levelling up. (I am assuming that the probability is described somewhere for every hero class, so if I am right this file must be hidden somewhere)

By the way, this is my first post after long time. So hi again! ;)

DraGon_2k6
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DraGon_2k6 » 12 Jun 2006, 03:32

Gaidal Cain wrote: 3. Basically, anything in the data folder. Don't know about the rest.
5. Show me the file and I'll tell you ;)
I'd like to use more readable fonts, especially for combat messages.

Can anyone enlighten me regarding files format (mean how to edit/replace them) in [texts.pak]/Bin/Fonts folder?

Thanks in advance.
Always in the search of excellence

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 12 Jun 2006, 10:31

Hmm. I can't figure out how to edit those files, but if you do, you should place them in a catalog structure Bin/Fonts and zip the bin folder into a .zip file and rename it to .pak. The rest of the name doesn't matter.

Thanquol
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Thanquol » 12 Jun 2006, 12:48

A few Questions:

1) Is it possible to change what abilities are given to the various creatures/heroes - and if so then what file(s) are involved?

2) Is it possible to make/add new skills/abilities and/or modify existing ones - and if so then which file(s) are involved?

3) Would it be possible to expand the number of skills allowed pr Hero (required UI rework not withstanding)?

I have looked hard in the data.pak for any files that might control this and found nothing that seemed to fit, but that may just be me overlooking the required files of course.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 12 Jun 2006, 13:00

Thanquol wrote:1) Is it possible to change what abilities are given to the various creatures/heroes - and if so then what file(s) are involved?
Not really. Some are- check data.pak/GameMechanics/Creature/Creatures.
2) Is it possible to make/add new skills/abilities and/or modify existing ones - and if so then which file(s) are involved?

3) Would it be possible to expand the number of skills allowed pr Hero (required UI rework not withstanding)?
Don't think either are editable.

DraGon_2k6
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DraGon_2k6 » 12 Jun 2006, 13:03

Gaidal Cain wrote:Hmm. I can't figure out how to edit those files, but if you do, you should place them in a catalog structure Bin/Fonts and zip the bin folder into a .zip file and rename it to .pak. The rest of the name doesn't matter.
Thanks, I already know how to place *.pak files ;-)

I even tried just place 10 renamed TTF files there - no changes...
In fact, it's probably not necessary to edit them at all as there are some files with references (with ext/ of "xap") which point to these long-named-encripted font-files.

Maybe someone is familiar enough with hex editor to open them and tell us about the format?

Thanquol
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Thanquol » 12 Jun 2006, 13:13

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Thanquol wrote:1) Is it possible to change what abilities are given to the various creatures/heroes - and if so then what file(s) are involved?
Not really. Some are- check data.pak/GameMechanics/Creature/Creatures.
Been there, done that. As far as I can see then that only allows to add/change spell like abilities(that you need to activate yourself) and not passive abilities(which were the ones I needed to shift around/add).

Rather odd to let us have access to thousands of more or less useless graphics handling files, while most of the rules that would be truly usefull to be able to modify are unavailable for modding :|

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 12 Jun 2006, 15:17

Well, the heroes are pretty customizeable. Not surprising, as they'd have to be in the editor anyway.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 12 Jun 2006, 15:32

Just one question :

Can the heroes' portraits be changed easily ?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 12 Jun 2006, 15:42

Yes. Make the necessary new portraits, make the correct directory structure to put them in.

DraGon_2k6
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Readable fonts mod - takes care of your eyes.

Unread postby DraGon_2k6 » 14 Jun 2006, 03:07

I succeeded in this!
While using your own fonts in the game seems not possible (fonts are probably stored in raster format), I've managed to MAP font pointers to one of "system" ones available.

Isn't it great that they make the game so easy to configure?
The ability to configure almost everything is wonderful - I feel myself a Linux guru administrator ;-).

Now all the text in the game is rendered in nice sans-serif font.
As for me, I'm excited: I can instantly read all tooltips/descriptions w/o need to "decode" them ;-).
It's especially useful for battles.
I've uploaded some screenshots.
http://dragon2k6.atspace.com/

For those of you who like the original "decorative italic" fonts, I've prepared tha limited version:
"useSimpleFont_keepHeaders.pak" keeps items named "headers" (e.g., town/hero/creature name, window title etc.) rendered in original fonts.

Download Link (18 kb):
http://rapidshare.de/files/23006780/use ... t.zip.html

Below is the content of readme file.
Lets take care of our eyes!

=============================================

How to "install"
==================
Just put one of *.pak files into your "data" folder and enjoy nice readable fonts!

How to remove
==============
Just remove the *,pak file mentioned above.

Description
============
Simple mod to make text in the Heroes of Might and Magic 5 game more readable.

* useSimpleFont.pak - replaces ALL fonts with "system" ones

* useSimpleFont_keepHeaders.pak - replaces ALL fonts with "system" ones BUT keeps items named "headers" (e.g., town/hero/creature name, window title etc.) rendered in original fonts.

Notes
=======
As some data seems to be stored in saved games, it's recommended that you start new or restart a mission after "installing" this mod. Otherwise, you're at risk to see some "special characters" somewhere. I've noticed them in tooltips for outer buttons of the main control ("flower" at bottom-right ).

If you start new mission, all will be rendered correctly.

Enjoy!
=============================================

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 14 Jun 2006, 11:49

So if we can change the combat dial and even change fonts in the game, could the dial in the City Screen be replaced by a big pillar filling the right hand side of the city screen completely with buttons that actually say "Build", "Hire", "Exit" etc?

If not, why not, as the combat dial was modified... is there a limit to the size or shape somehow? I forgot who did it, but he added wait, save and load buttons into the game.

Indral
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Indral » 27 Jun 2006, 10:02

did anyone find out how to open and edit the 3D models?

i'm looking to change the horrible gargoyle as soon as possible.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 01 Jul 2006, 15:36

A point worth noting is that you do not need to modify the data.pak file. The standard data.pak definitions will be replaced by ones found in other files in the Data folder. I am not sure of the order, however. It looks to me as if the additions are applied in the order their folders would appear in a listing.

So to get started, make a copy of data.pak, use WinRAR to unpack it to your working directory, and then have your fun. Pack a folder with your own definitions, give it a .pak extension, and put it in the data folder and you are good to go. If you goofed something up, you can always remove the folder and things will work normally again.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Xenophanes
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Xenophanes » 17 Aug 2006, 19:02

Indral wrote:did anyone find out how to open and edit the 3D models?

i'm looking to change the horrible gargoyle as soon as possible.
I'm interested in this too. I'd like to equalize the Black Dragon-Green Dragon sizes. Right now it's ridiculous.

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”