Top view camera MOD

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
val-gaav
Peasant
Peasant

Top view camera MOD

Unread postby val-gaav » 04 Jun 2006, 09:35

Since i did not found a topic about it here i'll post this info

Orginally a guy named OnionKnight has found how to do it in this topic on official forum:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 6501002744

It's not so much of a mod just some settings in "game directory/profiles/autoexec.cfg"

Set those :

mission_camera_limits 90 10 100 -90 0 0 0
mission_camera_softlimits 90 11 100 -90 0 0 0

or those (that depends of how far you like too zoom out)

mission_camera_limits 90 20 70 -90 0 0 0
mission_camera_softlimits 90 21 70 -90 0 0 0

The efeect is this :

i know some people will find this view more useable then the one we have in the game ...

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 04 Jun 2006, 15:04

i think it really defeats the whole point of 3D heroes.... if you are uncomfortable with the 3D view and/or get laggy when its not set to top view, then just move the camera all the way up. that way you still have the ability to move it around and go down abit closer to ground level if you ever feel like it. i suppose that there will always be some people to like it, though....

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 04 Jun 2006, 15:07

Does this mod give you a cameraview unavailable with rotating the camera around? It looks like a nice view, from the picture.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 04 Jun 2006, 15:10

Well, some of us really don't care about 3D and graphics... Besides, the point of 3D is that you can rotate the camera from every angle... Limiting this is awkward...
I like this mod (i use a modified version i think), it's great to at last have full control. Now, i hope that there will be one for the combat screen, because we can't move the camera completely now.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jun 2006, 15:46

How about a 360 BF Camera mod?! I really don't get what's with all the camera limiting in 3D games.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 04 Jun 2006, 16:41

Exactly... if you're gonna limit the camera, make it 2D, fixed, beautiful and smooth. Actually, i wish developers would prefer to make a great 2D game than so-so 3D graphics... But they must think it helps sales... It might be true for some games, but i don't think it is the case for series like HoMM.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 04 Jun 2006, 17:26

of course, almost all heroes fans would prefer great 2D gameplay than so-so 3D graphics, bu if they ever want to attract new customers, then they have to keep up with modern, sharp looking, and eye-catching graphics, otherwise no one would buy it except for old fans.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jun 2006, 17:28

soupnazii wrote: otherwise no one would buy it except for old fans.
Because people are drooling idiots that only like sHINY things.

*turns on TV, watches for 5 min*

Err... nevermind.... they are! :disagree:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 04 Jun 2006, 17:34

you better believe it....

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 04 Jun 2006, 17:47

I don't know... the picture looks kinda odd... The game was designed for 3d and seing objects from above makes them rather hard to distinguish, especially if they're small. Of course, it is possible for one to get used to it, but I think that's unnecessarily difficult... ;|
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jun 2006, 18:02

I still want a 360 BF Camera mod. Any takers?

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 04 Jun 2006, 18:28

360 BF camera would be nice, but i dont know if there even is anything there (in the are where you cant normally see). plus, they probably only did that to reduce lag. i mean, by not including that whole chunk of the map, they are reducing the whole thing by like 30%, which is good for people with slow computers....

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 04 Jun 2006, 19:16

Well, if it is too slow, people should not use it. But do leave the goddamn option open ^^

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jun 2006, 20:47

soupnazii wrote:360 BF camera would be nice, but i dont know if there even is anything there (in the are where you cant normally see). plus, they probably only did that to reduce lag. i mean, by not including that whole chunk of the map, they are reducing the whole thing by like 30%, which is good for people with slow computers....
What? The rest of the BF is still there, so how does it reduce lag? Not to mention that the BF Zoom and Camera rotation don't cause anywhere as much lag as the Adv ones.

Ur confusing being able to move the camera 360 degrees with moving it outside the grid. It wouldn't show more stuff on screen, so it shouldn't couse any more lag then usual.

val-gaav
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby val-gaav » 04 Jun 2006, 21:02

Not to be picky to the guys saying that this kills the whole fact of being this game in 3d , but .....

IMHO rotating and zooming in a strategy game should be optional .... (now in h5 this not so whatever view you will use)

i would gladly see a mod which would increase the size of neutral creatures and some of map buildings.... but I guess this is too much to ask from modders ....

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 04 Jun 2006, 21:08

once again, I'm all for a 2D game with beautiful graphics... but since we're stuck with 3D, at least use the 3D to do what it was designed for, ie being able to have the view you want.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jun 2006, 21:18

val-gaav wrote: IMHO rotating and zooming in a strategy game should be optional .... (now in h5 this not so whatever view you will use)
Optional, not non-existant. If they use 3D, then they should use it fully, not limit it. Stupid sHINY™.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 05 Jun 2006, 01:44

ok, ur right TT, i got confoosed... and if enough people complain about it, im sure they will also add a patch that makes a top view like in this mod an option in the game...

grumpy_dwarf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby grumpy_dwarf » 16 Jun 2006, 03:35

am I the only one that doesn't get the top down view with this mod? I am using patch 1.1 and copied
mission_camera_limits 90 20 70 -90 0 0 0
mission_camera_softlimits 90 21 70 -90 0 0 0
straight to my autoexec.cfg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit:
this actually works great, especially in the Underground....

Indral
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Indral » 27 Jun 2006, 08:31

ThunderTitan wrote:
soupnazii wrote: otherwise no one would buy it except for old fans.
Because people are drooling idiots that only like sHINY things.

*turns on TV, watches for 5 min*

Err... nevermind.... they are! :disagree:
agreed. :proud:

a good man once said:
"it's not all that glitters is gold, half the story has never been told.."

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”