New Combat JogDial - finalized - 1.2

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
Lakasha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lakasha » 06 Jun 2006, 20:52

Several people have accidently put the files in the Demo folder. Check to make sure you didn't do that too B-)

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 06 Jun 2006, 21:07

Apparently he just did it.

<LocalDrive>\Program Files\Nival Interactive\Heroes of Might and Magic V\data

is the path for the demo. Make sure you have the final version. Then, put the pak files into <LocalDrive>\Program Files\Ubisoft\...\data
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

Mimx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mimx » 06 Jun 2006, 22:25

Awesome!

Thanks for the info.

I think I will get rid of that folder now, and I am sure I will remember the correct path from now on.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 24 Jun 2006, 04:23

OK, this is the current version :D
About the possible issues in case of MP games, I am almost 100% sure that this UI mod should not create any problems. Unless you load a game during the combat, and make you opponent hate you and leave the stage. Saving should not create any problems but why would you save if you wouldn't load to it. Wait button is so safe.
In short, although this mod was thought for SP games, having it during MP games should not create any issues.

Actually I can say this for many mods that tune the grapical or user interface of the game, including the Cleric and Treants mods (I didn't look into the Gargoyles mod though), and text change mods like Sev. mod and artifact descriptions. Others like the Black Knight mod or the Devil mod that change creature stats and/or abilities WILL create problems in MP games, UNLESS everyone has the same mod installed. Still, testing is advised.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 24 Jun 2006, 13:44

Great!! I just posted in the things I want from previous HoMMs was a load savegame option, if they do not include one in one of the upcoming patches I’ll definitely be using that one. :tsup:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

ChinaBlue
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChinaBlue » 22 Jul 2006, 21:19

This messed up dial is what I got after patch 1.2. All buttons still work but it hurts my eyes!! Anybody knows how to fix this?

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 24 Jul 2006, 00:24

@ChinaBlue

I don't know what happened but my mods don't seem to work after patch 1.2. I cannot even get what you get. I looked into it shortly but couldn't figure why. Everything looks normal, but what they changed in the exe file could be messing things up.

No user made mod works for me, any comments anyone?

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 24 Jul 2006, 01:26

i get the exact same thing as chinablue wrt to your mod (the full version).

Moreover, the hotkeys no longer function.

You can still use the save button, even though it is partially hidden, so it looks funky, but it's functional enough (and the save in battle function is the only thing i really needed myself).

some of the other mods work (ones that modify appearance, for example, like the gargoyle mod), some work partially (like yours) and some don't work at all (like the stack-size notification mod - the one that gave the stack size ranges as numbers).

another modmaker suggested repacking mods that modify text all together into one pak file using winrar. haven't tried that yet.

keep us posted if you figure out what's up.

cheers.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 Jul 2006, 03:47

gosh darn it, the more i read about 1.2, the less i like it, i am DEFINATELY sticking with 1.1, it is stable and the fanmade mods that i like to use (namely this one) work properly with it

ChinaBlue
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChinaBlue » 24 Jul 2006, 07:52

I don't know what happened but my mods don't seem to work after patch 1.2. I cannot even get what you get.
All my mods didn't work at first either but after reinstalling the game they worked again, exept for the text based mods like Sev.
another modmaker suggested repacking mods that modify text all together into one pak file using winrar. haven't tried that yet.
I did (following the instructions of wombatfeatures) but yet without succes.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 24 Jul 2006, 19:35

I solved the probem with my mods! Both of them are updated. It turns out that the game checks for the file creation date and accepts only the newest version of a file. Furthermore not all archivers can create valid pak files (zip files renamed to pak). Winrar and 7-zip did not work for me but Powerarchiver did. Weird ain't it 8|

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 24 Jul 2006, 22:30

OK, so just to clarify - opening up and repacking the files to get a new date fixes the issue, because the game looks for the most recent data file in the data directory, correct?

so... the reason some of the appearence mods (like the cleric mod) were unaffected was because those particular files were not updated with the patch, correct?

I just got put in charge of the mods section, so i figure we should start putting together a "how to mod HoMM V" guide, and how to get mods to work with the latest patches is gonna be right on the top of the list of things to add. also which tools work, and which don't (you say winrar is unsuccessful, but powerarchiver works?)

:)

ChinaBlue
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChinaBlue » 24 Jul 2006, 22:37

Brilliant!! you fixed it! Thank you :smooch:

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 24 Jul 2006, 23:03

Hi Sir_Toejam!
Yes, you're right in your comments.
And I just got the message from Angelspit. So yes, such a modding guide would be nice. Also I small tool to update the modded files would be just perfect.
About the archivers, I was surprised to observe this symptom. I tried with several mods, unpacked and repacked them using Winrar, 7-zip and PowerArchiver. Only the latter worked. I didn't try others yet.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 26 Jul 2006, 05:01

good work gryphon .... hope to see the guide when it is done ....

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 26 Jul 2006, 05:52

Sir_Toejam wrote:I just got put in charge of the mods section, so i figure we should start putting together a "how to mod HoMM V" guide, and how to get mods to work with the latest patches is gonna be right on the top of the list of things to add. also which tools work, and which don't (you say winrar is unsuccessful, but powerarchiver works?)

:)
I use Winrar and have never had any problems using it to create pak files.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 27 Jul 2006, 04:22

OK, here's a new version. This time I get rid of the huge-useless-confusing icon on the ATB bar. I also get rid of the jog-dial, and correct a few glitches in the combat log box, etc. So this is a very lean version. Check it out!

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 27 Jul 2006, 10:31

I use Winrar and have never had any problems using it to create pak files.
I suspect that the difference in success with using winrar might have something to do with the particular version; some versions might write header information into the packed file that makes it incompatible for some reason.

just a guess.

more experimentation needed.

cheers

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”