Black Knight Mod

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
SteveJobs
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SteveJobs » 28 May 2006, 18:42

Things I see differently when I compare the two file structures (since I don't know anything about this)

\data\Textures\Creatures\Necropolis\BlackKnight

the addon has 2 more files named BlackKnight_horse2.tga.dds, and BlackKnight_horse2.tga.xdb

\data\Textures\Creatures\Necropolis\BlackKnight_LOD

the .pak file has two more files
BlackKnight.tga.xdb, and BlackKnight_coat.tga.xdb

\data\Textures\Creatures\Necropolis\DeathKnight
the .pak file has two more files
DeathKnight.tga.xdb, and DeathKnight_coat.tga.xdb

\data\Textures\Interface\CombatArena\Faces\Neutral
all the ico_Black_Knight.* files are missing from the .pak
all the ico_Death_Knight.* files are missing from the mod

\data\GameMechanics\CreatureVisual\Creatures\Neutrals
the mod is missing Death_Knight.xdb

I listed what I believe are the important files/paths, everything else is verbatim .pak to mod.

I don't know why I suddenly have this feeling that somehow the mod got changed so myself and a few others have some differences than you guys with your working mods.

Normally I wouldn't care so much about making a mod work, but these were my favorite creatures from HOMM 3, I'd love to be able to use them again :)

_Akiles_
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby _Akiles_ » 29 May 2006, 00:39

here was my problem

SteveJobs
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SteveJobs » 29 May 2006, 04:02

_Akiles_ wrote:here was my problem

Adding the above files to both the .pak file and the mod folder didn't work, I still after building the creature building in one of my saved games get no type of creature out of it.

edit: needed to start a new game, it worked yay.

edit2: just need to add the death knight files to the mod from the pak file

_Akiles_
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby _Akiles_ » 29 May 2006, 08:15

yep,the mod works fine now i can enjoy the game much better!!

nice work for the modder !!!

mongerman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mongerman » 29 May 2006, 12:41

so i need to use winrar to open data.pak, then unzip the above mentioned files into the mod folder?

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 29 May 2006, 15:19

mongerman wrote:so i need to use winrar to open data.pak, then unzip the above mentioned files into the mod folder?
No, no reason to do that. The reason that it wasn't working was because he didn't start a new game. You can't load a mod that changes game parameters and expect an old save game to work properly.

In other news, I have learned of a better method for handling mod files. It turns out that the game can read and use any new PAK files that are placed in the Data folder.

I will be repacking the Black Knight mod as a PAK file soon, I just want to adjust the stats a bit first. For those who want to convert the current version to a PAK, here are the simple instructions.

1) Select the three folders that came with the mod and create a new ZIP archive with WinZip ir WinRar.
2) Rename the ZIP extention to PAK and place the file in you Data folder.
3) Enjoy!

Skibbles
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Skibbles » 31 May 2006, 05:27

I think they are fine, except the fact they have a 25% chance to kill half a stack, that urgently needs to go!

I cant wait, they look really cool!

mongerman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mongerman » 31 May 2006, 11:01

hmmm your method of making a zip file comprising of the 3 files and renaming it to.pak causes the game to crash at startup...

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 31 May 2006, 14:04

mongerman wrote:hmmm your method of making a zip file comprising of the 3 files and renaming it to.pak causes the game to crash at startup...
I've currently got four mods installed using this technique with no problems. What are you using to zip the files? Anyone else having trouble?

mongerman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mongerman » 01 Jun 2006, 11:00

I'm using winrar

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 01 Jun 2006, 11:41

mongerman wrote:I'm using winrar
That's what I use. You are archiving as ZIP not RAR right? What settings are you using? Are you storing relative paths?

mongerman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mongerman » 02 Jun 2006, 11:10

Ok Ive archived it as a zip file, and it no longer crashes. But I'm still getting wrights instead of knights. Strange...

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 02 Jun 2006, 14:08

mongerman wrote:Ok Ive archived it as a zip file, and it no longer crashes. But I'm still getting wrights instead of knights. Strange...
Did you:

1) Start a new game? Changes won't appear when continuing a saved game.

2) Archive the three folders inside the Black Knight Mod folder and not the Black Knight Mod folder itself?

mongerman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mongerman » 03 Jun 2006, 14:20

Ok works now. Just that the building doesnt show up. It only shows up in the creature buying screen.

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 03 Jun 2006, 16:41

Yeah, I didn't edit the building texts, they still say they build Wights and Wraiths and not the Knights.

I'm almost done with a new version that is more comprehensive and balanced. I found a way to give Necro two knights, neither of which will have the overpowered Deadly Strike ability, while leaving the neutral as is.

Mitzah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mitzah » 03 Jun 2006, 19:15

Arstahd,could you help me a little bit ? I'm trying to make my own mini-mod which involves creating a DDS file. What did you use when you created the new gargoyle skin ?? Photoshop with nVIDIA DDS plug-in? If so, could you tell me what settings u used ?

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 03 Jun 2006, 20:43

Mitzah wrote:Arstahd,could you help me a little bit ? I'm trying to make my own mini-mod which involves creating a DDS file. What did you use when you created the new gargoyle skin ?? Photoshop with nVIDIA DDS plug-in? If so, could you tell me what settings u used ?
While I do have Photoshop, I haven't reloaded in my PC yet. I've been using a little free app called DXTBmp for my dds work. With it you can open a dds file and then send it to your favorite paint program for editing (I use Paintshop Pro 9). Once done with your edits, save the file, go back to DXTbmp and update the new file and then save the dds.

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 04 Jun 2006, 02:55

Just wanted to say that "Black Knight" is a great, great mod! Thumbs up.

But, at the same time I was wondering... Is it possible to change the building description to "allows you to recruit Black Knights" (or whatever it says there) instead of "allows you to recruit Wights"

Also, the Wraiths look really nice, they should replace those $^&$^ dragons at tier 7 creature. Just give them the same stats as the dragon, modify the cost, leave "death Touch" and you have one nice town!

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 04 Jun 2006, 03:16

Alright, to answer my own question: BULDING DESCRIPTIONS ARE IN THE TEXTS PAK FILE (Data folder).

From there (open in an archiver program, I use WinAce), go to

Game/TownBuildings/Necromancy/Dwelling 6

And change the text. You can even rename the buildings (regular and upgraded) to whatever the name was in HoMM III. I think it was "Hall of Darkness" and "Upgraded Hall of Darkness," but we need a new name for the upgraded one.

"Cathedral of Darkness" perhaps? It follows the default progression, and kinda "fuses" it with the HoMM III one.

Mitzah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mitzah » 04 Jun 2006, 07:50

Arstahd, what settings do I have to use...do I have to uncheck "Include when saving" ?

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”