An artist wanted for work on a tabletop HoMM game

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
Groovy
Golem
Golem

An artist wanted for work on a tabletop HoMM game

Unread postby Groovy » 17 Apr 2012, 05:56

Last year, I started a series of topics discussing various aspects of the HoMM-based design that I was working on, beginning with this one: Breathing new life into HOMM. I’ve since started working on a tabletop version of the design. The idea was to make a print-and-play board game that showcases the main features of the would-be electronic game. I’ve made a fair amount of progress with the design of factions, creature stats, spells, and so on, but now find myself in need of an artist to produce images for all these game elements.

Please contact me if you are artistically inclined and would like to produce the artwork for the tabletop game.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 06 Aug 2012, 01:32

Any progress here?

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 06 Aug 2012, 06:40

On artwork, no. On other game features, yes. :)

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 06 Aug 2012, 13:38

Greetings Groovy

I have a question and some thoughts.

How strategic are you wanting the board? i.e. Old wargames like Squad-Leader have tiles that represent statistical changes in combat calcs. Fog, that eliminates LoS and prevents attack or tiles that represent elevation, thus increasing/decreasing attack strength.

In thinking of map set-up, it occured to me that just like in HoMM editors; you could have objects for placement. Mountains, bridges etc. that would occupy a given cell size and be able to be placed anywhere. Cell numbers could then be recorded for the locations of all map-objects and then folks would be able to re-create any given map design.

As far as artwork, I wonder what you might find in the public domain that you could use?; i.e. "picture of a mill". Anyway, for starters, until you get an artist, why not use symbols and colors to represent creature/type. A green tile with long-bow would be an elvin archer, add some gold to the bow and they become the elite "Robin-Hoods". :D

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 07 Aug 2012, 06:45

markkur wrote:How strategic are you wanting the board?
Ideally, I would like the board to be as strategic as that of the would-be electronic version of the game. The purpose of the board game is to showcase the electronic game design. It will have to be somewhat simpler to be playable on the tabletop, but not so much that it gives the player a misleading impression of what the electronic game would play like. I also want to be able to use the board game to test different aspects of the electronic game design before they are implemented.
markkur wrote:Old wargames like Squad-Leader have tiles that represent statistical changes in combat calcs. Fog, that eliminates LoS and prevents attack or tiles that represent elevation, thus increasing/decreasing attack strength.
I’m modelling the battlefield similarly to Ancient Empires 2. There is hilly terrain that confers defensive bonuses, impassable mountainous terrain, and many others. I haven’t thought of using fog, though. Hmm...
markkur wrote:In thinking of map set-up, it occured to me that just like in HoMM editors; you could have objects for placement. Mountains, bridges etc. that would occupy a given cell size and be able to be placed anywhere. Cell numbers could then be recorded for the locations of all map-objects and then folks would be able to re-create any given map design.
I’m following the print-and-play model. Originally, I was going to design maps by placing terrain tiles together coupled with instructions on what other adventure map objects need to be added.

Later I decided to add all the fixed structures to the terrain and only leave removable adventure map objects (resource piles and such) for the player to place. I thought this would be easier than recording cell numbers, but I still find it necessary to do that, for portals and such.
markkur wrote:As far as artwork, I wonder what you might find in the public domain that you could use?; i.e. "picture of a mill". Anyway, for starters, until you get an artist, why not use symbols and colors to represent creature/type. A green tile with long-bow would be an elvin archer, add some gold to the bow and they become the elite "Robin-Hoods". :D
I’m already using public domain artwork for my own developmental version of the game. It’s not holding me back from experimenting and refining the game mechanics. I just can’t release it like this.

Thank you for trying to help out, Markkur. :)

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 07 Aug 2012, 14:30

You're welcome, although after seeing your progress I'd say more hindrance than help. I thought you were more in the idea-stage. Oh well, even from small discussions...sometimes big ideas emerge. I wish more folks would participate in my own ventures, so I usually try to participate in "mindsprinkles" or just encourage others.

I like the route you're taking; it does make sense to do the P & P. How large is the current board?

Are you going to recreate the battle-map experience for the game as well?

Btw, I can draw landscapes fairly-well but I doubt that could work here.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 07 Aug 2012, 16:06

markkur wrote:I wish more folks would participate in my own ventures...
I’d be keen to find out about them. Have you described them somewhere?
markkur wrote:How large is the current board?
It doesn’t have a fixed shape or size. Each map is broken up into fragments (like the one from my previous post) that are placed next to each other when setting up the game. The fragments can be turned upside down individually, which is used to simulate exploration of the adventure map. Also, portals and planar rifts can be used to link disparate landmasses and planes, which allows the map to be played on multiple smaller surfaces. This setup can be used to implement a low-tech version of simultaneous turns, where players play simultaneously until they enter a contested landmass or plane.
markkur wrote:Are you going to recreate the battle-map experience for the game as well?
I’m not sure what you mean?
markkur wrote:Btw, I can draw landscapes fairly-well but I doubt that could work here.
There’s no need. Landscape photographs are plentiful. I’ll just tone down the colours for the final version to make other adventure map objects stand out.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 08 Aug 2012, 15:38

markkur wrote: Are you going to recreate the battle-map experience for the game as well?

I’m not sure what you mean?
In my head, I was seeing Heroes on the board/adventure-map and when one decided on battle then a seperate battlemap would be used for the troop placement, replacing the electronic version of zooming-in to a more detailed battle arena. Just like the e-version you could have many arena-boards.

Btw, for a good laugh; long years ago when I was a young mage and not an old hoary-headed wizard ...I loved Chess. I fashioned my own custom game by gutting an old TV console, w/ wheels. It was made out of oak, had doors and I removed the back. So, when it was game time I would roll it away from the wall and spin-it for two players to sit...gazing inside to play chess:D

Inside the box can be whatever you make it. My chess had a Black-light environment with brightly glowing board and landscape with trees. Sometimes we had to remind each other whose turn it was.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 12 Aug 2012, 19:59

markkur wrote:In my head, I was seeing Heroes on the board/adventure-map and when one decided on battle then a seperate battlemap would be used for the troop placement, replacing the electronic version of zooming-in to a more detailed battle arena. Just like the e-version you could have many arena-boards.
That’s the plan. Hopefully you’ll see it in action pretty soon...
markkur wrote:Btw, for a good laugh; long years ago when I was a young mage and not an old hoary-headed wizard ...I loved Chess. I fashioned my own custom game by gutting an old TV console, w/ wheels. It was made out of oak, had doors and I removed the back. So, when it was game time I would roll it away from the wall and spin-it for two players to sit...gazing inside to play chess:D

Inside the box can be whatever you make it. My chess had a Black-light environment with brightly glowing board and landscape with trees. Sometimes we had to remind each other whose turn it was.
Are you sure it was chess you were playing? :D

lourencohen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby lourencohen » 17 Mar 2014, 11:20

I am not much of a good designer but I know some people who can really help you with this. But you will have to pay them a good salary. If you are okay with that just contact me and I can give you their phone numbers.

Thanks
Lourene

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 18 Mar 2014, 06:46

Thank you for the offer, lourencohen. I have already found someone to collaborate with, so I won't be hiring anyone to do the artwork (this would have been a last resort option for me anyway).

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Apr 2014, 04:31

Hello again, Groovy, how have you been? Our last messages are dating back 2011! I didn't know I was away for so long and I am happy beyond words reading this thread, I'm quite pleased you've been keeping your work on your tabletop project whilst I failed to keep mine. :)

I got some serious business to attend to and couldn't really get back to Heroes Tabletop project we were discussing those years back, and I kinda will have to delay that for a while.

If you don't mind telling me, I'd like to know the status of your project, what else is to be done, if there's some art demand or already done. More out of curiosity, but I think if you had some small tasks at first, I could see if I can lend a hand. It would mean to me almost like an auto-psychological treatment I think I need these days. ;) And perhaps later, in due time, I could focus back on what I left undone.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 24 Apr 2014, 15:02

Can it be? The dragon warrior has returned? I had almost given up hope!

:hug:

I’ll send you a private message. There’s a lot to catch up on...

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Apr 2014, 16:01

Answered already. :D

Let's see where this road goes.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”