Official VCMI project thread

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 02 Oct 2012, 06:03

As the announcement says, you still need WoG or ERA.

The aim is to make most (if not all) WoG features/graphics as optional at some point. We take it as a nice-to-have, because we know it's on the wishlist of some fellow gamers. But the priority remains with finishing all standard game features (SoD-level), eliminating the bugs and providing a decent AI, and I hope that's understandable.

The project is however open source and already quite modable. So if a motivated coder would like to join and already work on a package that overwrites WoG features/graphics with SoD ones, he/she would be most welcome. But the core team has to keep focus on the priorities listed above, otherwise we risk to delay too much the delivery of a fully playable product.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 02 Oct 2012, 09:21

I see. I was confused because on your wiki page, it says only SoD or Complete, not a word about ERA or WoG.

As I understand it, it only requires resources, not having the game launched at some point in Wine (which is impossible right now for ERA), right? In that case, perhaps I could create an installation bash script to make the process easier and independent of Wine. Hmm.

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 02 Oct 2012, 10:38

GreatEmerald wrote:I see. I was confused because on your wiki page, it says only SoD or Complete, not a word about ERA or WoG.
I believe you should read it again, certainly it does mention both ERA and WoG :P
VCMI : the future of Heroes 3!
People just don't care.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 02 Oct 2012, 11:32

Well, I can see why first line can be misleading if one doesn't read further, so I edited it to avoid confusion.

@WM: can you edit the OP with updates for the 0.9 release?
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 02 Oct 2012, 13:25

It mentioned them at the point where it was talking about compiling from source, but not about binary packages. Now it's good.

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 05 Oct 2012, 10:49

Masterpost updated.
People just don't care.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Oct 2012, 16:21

Hmm, in the source package, there is a configure file, and the readme suggests using CMake for building binaries. Is there any particular difference between the two methods?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 09 Oct 2012, 08:53

I'm trying to use the standard configure method, and when I do a "make", it complains about not having automake. I do have it, but it's a newer version (1.12), while it seems to only search for aclocal-1.11. Shouldn't it search for aclocal instead? As it is, I need to do some hacks to get it going through that point... After all, the older version is obsolete and is no longer packaged in my distribution!

Changing am__api_version='1.11' to am__api_version='1.12' in the configure file makes it work fine. So shouldn't the available version be detected, then checked if it is equal or newer than 1.11, and if it is, used?

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 09 Oct 2012, 11:24

We have forum board for technical discussions.
People just don't care.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Version 0.92 is already released...

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 05 Mar 2013, 20:15

Time to update the master post, right guys? Your web site tells us that version 0.92 was released 01/03/13. And don't say that folks here on CH do not follow this thread. Yes we do. And I visit your Team's web site three times a week, sometimes even more often.

Keep up the good work, friends! We believe in you. "In VCMI We Trust"!

-Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 03 Jun 2013, 11:17

VCMI 0.93 is out! :)

Following requests from many users, as of now VCMI can work with pure SoD installation. WoG or ERA are not required anymore, though remain and will remain supported. Many other changes and fixes, you can read all about in the link above.

@Yurian: Thanks for the kind words. And sorry for the lack of updates at times. Myself I had a few months "break" from the gaming world due to some overlapping projects that took all my days (and nights at some point). Then I had a little accident which included a light concussion, so I couldn't use the computer for a while (I guess the universe wanted me to take it easy or something :p ).

Anyway, I'm back on my feet now and slowly catching up with my projects: at work, at home (renovations) and of course. VCMI. :)

Thanks again and cheers,
Zam

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 02 Mar 2014, 17:56

In case anybody is still here on CH...

Updated main post with VCMI 0.95
People just don't care.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Mar 2014, 18:29

Read you changelog, including modding support and available mods - sounds impressive. That is! Fingers crossed for VCMI. Myself I'm very curious for AI possibilites/architecture. :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

H3 Original Bugs and VCMI

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 16 Mar 2014, 05:43

@VCMI folks:

We are here, so no need to worry about people failing to follow your project. We do watch your progress. :) Now that we're talking about fixing bugs, I wonder if these Original Heroes III bugs will be dealt with by the time your team reaches VCMI version 1.0:

Bug 1

Bug 2

Bug 3

Bug 4

Bug 1: Chance to encounter wandering AI heroes that have No army traveling with them

Bug 2: The Dragonfly battle log bug. The DF uses its special ability (casting Weakness) on an enemy stack, but the battle log is messed up to the extent that it indicates that the target cast the spell on itself!

Bug 3: The Faerie Dragon has multiple issues. The unit's "Spell Book menu" is called "Sawmill" (!) and right-clicking on it talks about "Alchemist's Lab" (!!) In addition to these, the Faerie Dragon can't cast a spell via the F control key if the Hero has used magic before the FD's turn.

Bug 4: There are some left-over (disabled) artifacts in the map editor which can be "placed" on a wandering monster stack as its Treasure

Bug 5: (Not pictured here) The H3:RoE map called "Dragon Orb" has some normally Disabled spells (Fear, Spell Nothing) "available" for the player once he or she has defeated Pyramid guardians in any of the 3 such buildings found on that specific map.

With solidarity and hoping to hear from you soon,

Yurian

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 16 Mar 2014, 16:51

Please report all bugs on Mantis bugtracker. Especially not on abandoned forum like this.
People just don't care.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 16 Mar 2014, 17:29

@Warmonger:

These are original Heroes III bugs that were left on the game even after the final H3 patch, which was 3.2 and first released for the SoD expansion/standalone. I did not report the bugs in question on your Mantis bugtracker because these are not VCMI bugs we're talking about. They are H3:Sod bugs. My question remains the same:

"I wonder if these Original Heroes III bugs will be dealt with by the time your team reaches VCMI version 1.0"

In other words, I'm hoping to see these H3:SoD bugs fixed in VCMI. :)

With solidarity & friendship,

Yurian

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 17 Mar 2014, 19:19

We are not "fixing original bugs". We are creating the game from scratch, which means these bugs never appeared to begin with.
People just don't care.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

No H3 Original Bugs in VCMI is Good News

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 18 Mar 2014, 17:09

@Warmonger: Hmmm. You know, I wasn't tryin' to be a smart a$$. I certainly am glad to hear that these bugs were never in H3:VCMI in the first place. That is good news. Really. I guess I should have put some more consideration into "wording" my thoughts. :) What I was trying to say was "What about these bugs? Will the player encounter these in VCMI?" And you said No. That's all settled then, right? :)

With best regards,

Yurian

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 19 Mar 2014, 07:07

Unless someone explicitly implements the bugs into the game they probably won't be implementing bugs from the original game in the rewritten game.
Rather than that they'll most likely have their own somewhere!
But thankfully it won't be running on a program from 1999 that nobody has the source for, so they'll probably be ironed out unless the project dies hard.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Official VCMI project thread

Unread postby Pol » 22 Oct 2020, 08:17

Closed as dead. Continues here.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”