Official VCMI project thread

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 20 Sep 2009, 19:54

Warmonger wrote:...by 1st October all new features will be tested and fixed...
To be on the safe side, let's add a "hopefully" in there, as there's quite a bunch of new features. ;) :P
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Mitzah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mitzah » 20 Sep 2009, 21:58

Great job! It reminds me of the Fallout custom resolution mod. :P

Extending the number of hero portraits to be shown, however, is pretty useless since you can't have more than 8 heroes on the adventure map. Unless you changed that as well, of course. :D

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 20 Sep 2009, 23:25

Mitzah wrote:Great job!
Thanks. :)
Mitzah wrote:Extending the number of hero portraits to be shown, however, is pretty useless since you can't have more than 8 heroes on the adventure map.
I know. There are several ideas of what can be done about it:
- Create a new box in the side panel (and there are few ideas of what can be used for, like console or mini kingdom overview, with daily income etc)
- Add the garrisoned heroes at the bottom, using different (e.g.: grayed out) icons, not selectable (but available for r-click hero info for example)
- Leave it as it is and hope nobody would mind. :)

Creating a new box requires the most coding effort, plus has the disadvantage of reducing again the number of visible towns. Adding garrisoned heroes may be a bit annoying to implement, as it would make sense to keep the 8 AdvMap heroes visible, and make only the garrisoned ones scrollable if necessary. And as the priority now is recreating all features from the original H3 rather than fancy new features, I guess the long hero list will remain as it is for the time being. ;)
Mitzah wrote:...you can't have more than 8 heroes on the adventure map. Unless you changed that as well, of course. :D
That won't change in the core game, but modders will be free to alter it. If there is request, perhaps it will be available as an option for map makers, especially considering the support VCMI will have for maps larger than the H3 XLs.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 20 Sep 2009, 23:36

Here's a thought for those empty hero slots. I don't know if it would be possible, but perhaps you could put in Hero Portraits from team members in MP. You could'nt get them to do anything of oourse, but their pic would appear. At least it would put some use to the empty slots. Just a thought.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Sep 2009, 11:37

I think it should be done like in HoMM4: info on your creatures/hero skills should appear there.

Supreme Archangel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Supreme Archangel » 01 Oct 2009, 03:41

today is 01 Oct, waiting for the 0.74 version :D

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 01 Oct 2009, 19:21

Any minute now....

*goes back to hitting F5 continuously* :P

j/k - but it should be ready soon, no worries. ;)

-------------

EDIT: It's there now. Warmonger will probably update the original post soon. ;)

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 03 Oct 2009, 12:09

Masterpost updated with VCMI 0.74 info and screenshots.
VCMI : the future of Heroes 3!
People just don't care.

Sinner
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sinner » 26 Nov 2009, 04:35

GreatEmerald wrote:But there is the earth texture that you can loop as well as the treeline at the top.
Instead of trying to manipulate the old textures, why not create another project that focuses on creating high resolution graphics?

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 27 Nov 2009, 00:07

I think that can be easily done within VCMI, if any programmers with the knowledge & motivation to do that would like to join the team.

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 28 Nov 2009, 06:26

Development version 0.74c has been released. It contaiins lots of bugfixes and minor features and interface tweaks. Full list can be seen on Mantis Bugtracker. It is pretty much what 0.75 will offer, but additional testing is needed.

Unfortunatelly none of us had enough time to work on brand new, big features. Major improvements are postopned to after Christmas.

Also, since the number of download reaches thousand, it may be necessary to download VCMI maual which explains installation issues, new features and more.
People just don't care.

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 02 Dec 2009, 09:50

VCMI 0.75 was released.
People just don't care.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 02 Mar 2010, 00:59

VCMI 0.8 was released.

Most notable features implemented since the last release:
- support for hot-seat mode. It's still somewhat preliminary but should be functional.
- victory and loss conditions. It's finally possible to win or lose game (though counting points and Hall of Fame are not implemented yet). This feature, together with hot-seat, makes VCMI 0.8 first playable (to some degree) build.
- compound artifacts can be assembled and disassembled.
- Grail and related functionalities: Obelisks, Puzzle Map, Digging, Constructing the ultimate building.
- Kingdom Overview window has been implemented. It has several variants, adjusted to different game resolutions.

VCMI now supports 8 custom resolutions: 1024x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1336x768 (new!) and 1680x1080 (new!)

For those who want to help with the project development - details are available here. You can look for help in building and developing VCMI sources in the development board.

Warmonger will probably update soon the O.P. with more details.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 02 Mar 2010, 06:25

It's good to see this project keep getting better and better. I haven't downloaded it yet because the comp I have can handle the original. But the next comp I'm getting soon will require me to need this. I keep getting excited eveytime I see the latest release. Thanks you guys and continue making the best product possible! Can't wait to get my new computer now!
:tsup:

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 03 Mar 2010, 05:06

Oh great, you release a 1680x1080 resolution mode just after I get a Full HD monitor (1920x1080)... Ah well, I guess that's something for later releases, then :)
I'll have to try it out sometime.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 02 Apr 2010, 03:00

We are happy to announce the opening of VCMI Wiki, which aims to collect in one place documentation and guidelines for users and developers.
It's still in its initial phase but it'll slowly but constantly fill with content. Now, among general information about the project and collection of links, it features the tutorial How to build VCMI.

VCMI Wiki address: http://wiki.vcmi.eu

The VCMI Wiki shares integrated account system with the VCMI forum so no additional registration is needed for those already registered on the forum. All registered users are allowed and invited to participate and help editing the wiki :-)

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 02 Jun 2010, 05:55

VCMI 0.81 was released!
People just don't care.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Jun 2010, 19:59

Just tried it, and nice work! It's actually even playable, only that it's slightly crashy. (Fun fact: VCMI once gave me a message that it crashed. I ignored it and continued playing. Then after like 30 minutes I clicked OK and what do you know, THEN it crashed :D )
The main flaws as of right now are in battles I think. For one, all the animations are very odd and asynchronous, same with sounds (I'm playing on Medium speed setting just so you know), and numbers near units sometimes overlap. Nice to see idle animations implemented, though (just that they aren't played the whole time).
And, of course, non-existent adventure map AI is something to look forward to :)
Oh, and one more thing, I can't get any resolutions over 1440 running for some reason, the app crashes.

By the way, about the space to the left and right of the battle view, you could place creature info there.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 07 Jun 2010, 21:59

@GE: Thanks for the tests.

> About the crash: I never experienced that before, so it may be interesting to know more about the crash. If by any chance you didn't get any other crash afterwards, you might still have in your game folder the file VCMI_client.exe_crashinfo.dmp created at that time. If the case, could you please create a report about it on Mantis and attach the crashdump to it (CLICK HERE to report)? If not, then see if you can reproduce it to have .dmp file from that crash for a report. Question: after the crash msg, while you continued playing, did the game continue to autosave after when you hit End Turn? A savegame file from after the crash message might also be interesting to have attached to that report.

> We are aware of the issues with animations, sounds & stack size boxes. They'll probably be fixed during some of the next releases.

> Adventure Map AI is currently the main challenge. We had some coders who worked on it which came and went, so it is incomplete and currently disabled.

> I tried now the resolutions about 1440 and they work on my machine. What is your native screen resolution? If you have screenshot and/or crashdump files from those crashes as well, perhaps you could report them as well using the Mantis link above in this post.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 02 Aug 2010, 00:26

VCMI 0.82 released!

Notable progress in the following areas:
- All Adventure Map objects are now supported
- Most town structures supported
- Most hero specialties supported
- Over 60 bug fixes
(check the link above for the complete list of all improvements)

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”