Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 07 Feb 2009, 18:42

Of course. :)

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 07 Feb 2009, 18:44

arturchix wrote:This game is a mega crap and one of the most overrated games I've ever played. All you can do is run around from one safehouse to another, demolish hundreds of zombies, one tank and several bombers in your way, reach the next safehouse and repeat the same process like 30 times,
And it is overrated because ... you don't like it ? L4D is definitely game of the year for me. I even bought 2 copies, so I could play with my girlfriend. And Im not even slightly bored with it yet.

As for "repeat the same process just in a slightly different environment." -You can say that for any game. Here is HoMM, ok you played one map, start another and guess what - absolutly same castles and mines and resources, and you need to repeat same process of building upa castle and hiring warriors.. what a boring crap is that ?

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 07 Feb 2009, 19:55

Erm, are you really comparing a strategy game with a simple shooter whose only purpose is to blow the brains of zombie hordes? I mean, come on, there is even no story, there is no starting or ending, just mindless zombie slaughter. Most of the shooters have at least some kind of a story, something to try to achieve...All L4D offers is a co-op shooting, that's it - the game is empty. I'd call it Counter-Strike Zombie coop. Most people like it, I don't so in my opinion it's overrated as I don't see how it deserves the high review grades it got.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 08 Feb 2009, 12:37

All L4D offers is a co-op shooting, that's it - the game is empty
Cool, I guess you allready spent more time baching the game than actualy trying it. Besides coop, there is a versus mode, unique feature of this game. Thats when teams by turns play as special infected trying to stop survivors team.

And what you mean by overrated anyway ? Metacritic shows 89/100 by critics *and* 95/100 by users. Are all these ppl somehow worse than you at game evaluating ? I mean Im totaly fine with you not liking the game, but saying that its overrated when almost everyone else (inluding the press) likes the game is a strange thing to do.

I mean, come on, there is even no story, there is no starting or ending, just mindless zombie slaughter. Most of the shooters have at least some kind of a story, something to try to achieve...
There are many of great games that based on pure gameplay. No story no no starting or ending. Story is important for RPG and Adventure and genres like that. For fightings, racings, shooters and other "press right button in right time" genres - its not. If you expect a story from a shooter - thats your personal preference.

By the way - there is no story in most skirmish maps in HoMM games ? Is thats ok with you because its not a shooter ?

ps: Just want to ask. Do you think that CS and Team Fortress are overrated too? I mean .. no story, no starting/ending just brainless shooting .

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 08 Feb 2009, 13:27

Gameplay is the first thing that matters. If you got a good story, fine, but most people will forget the story anyways, they just want to shoot. It gets high rating because it's really balanced, and it's just exciting, every time you play a match. It's just awesomeness...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 08 Feb 2009, 17:41

saying that its overrated when almost everyone else (inluding the press) likes the game is a strange thing to do.
What's exactly strange here? That taste differs? Most people like to kill zombie hordes in co-op, I don't - big deal. You can reread what A55a55in wrote in this thread - so I'm not alone. Anyway, just get over it - it's my opinion whether you like it or not. I don't mind that you like the game, that's fine by me. I don't like the game, thus in my opinion it's overrated and not worth to play, end of story.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 08 Feb 2009, 18:25

MistWeaver wrote:but saying that its overrated when almost everyone else (inluding the press) likes the game is a strange thing to do.
It's the complete opposite. That's what overrated means. ;|
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 08 Feb 2009, 22:01

What's exactly strange here? That taste differs?
It's the complete opposite. That's what overrated means
lol. Thats what I am trying to say here - personal taste has nothing to do with general ratings. Overrated game is a game that is praised by critics, while some of the primary audience think that it is far from being that good. Nice example - Spore.
What Im saying is that you need at least like coop shooters before you can say is this game overrated or not. Whats the point of saying that new Dimmu Borgir album is overrated if you dont like black metal, for example ?

And when you say that this game sucks because there is no story/starting/ending and only coop shooting, I can confidently say that you won't like any other coop shooters. Because thats exacty what they are all about.
Thats why saying that one game is overrated, when you dont like the genre, and when people who do give it 95% - is a thankless job.

So get over this - L4D is not overrated. It gets exactly what it deserves - its just you or other ppl, not liking coop shooters without story.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 08 Feb 2009, 22:41

It also doesn't say that it's "NEW" or "GROUND BRAKING". It just want's to be a coop shooter, and it is GREAT at that point. If they were saying it's the best new tactical coop game, it will be overrated, but it did no say anything, so it's not overrated in any kind of way...

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 08 Feb 2009, 22:43

MistWeaver wrote:Whats the point of saying that new Dimmu Borgir album is overrated if you dont like black metal, for example ?
Look, there may be no point in saying that, but you can definitely say it, and it will be a true sentence (with your POV obviously, your opinion, I mean the one who says it). :P
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Feb 2009, 11:01

MistWeaver wrote: Overrated game is a game that is praised by critics, while some of the primary audience think that it is far from being that good.
It can work the other way too, being popular but the critics ravage it (with arguments that make sense). Actually that works better then being critically praised but unliked by the population... because that would be underrated.

Overrated = more popular then it should be based on it's qualities.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

linker163
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby linker163 » 15 Feb 2009, 18:45

i bought the game in christmas. it's a lot better than the demo. it's so cool to play with the infected like boomer.... well not boomer but hunter is great and smoker is also great. tank is annoying when you cant catch the survivors
Only thing what i want is to hear your scream as you DIE!!!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 15 Feb 2009, 22:38

Yeah, beeing a hunter is AWESOME. If you are a boomer, you should run and puke at the survivors. If they shoot you, they will get bashed by loads of zombies :). If anybody cares, ad me on Steam, name is darknessfood :)!

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 16 Feb 2009, 05:50

Not found ... I guess its easier to give an ID

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 16 Feb 2009, 17:19

Joined a clan, so changed name to OldManDarknessFood. Don't look at the picture though :P...

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 17 Feb 2009, 00:30

you know, its really hard to ignore it .. damn that was gross

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 17 Feb 2009, 01:14

Sorry for that :P. Send me an invite, we can play together someday :), or gimme your steam ID...

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 17 Feb 2009, 12:53

darknessfood wrote: Send me an invite, we can play together someday :).
I did.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 17 Feb 2009, 13:35

Accepted!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 23 Feb 2009, 17:45

Kinda old news, but downloadeble content will come in spring. It will contain a Survival mode. That means, shooting wave after wave of zombies. The other 2 campaigns will be available to play in Versus mode. Personally, I look forward to the DLC. Espacially the Survival mode!

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”