Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Stardock's Not-Master-of-Magic 2

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 16 Oct 2008, 06:51

http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/10/15/ ... f-fantasy/

Yes, there it is: Master of Magic 2, except Sony wanted too much money for the title, so it will be called different. First official screenshot is out. Public beta in spring-mid 2009.

Now, with GalCiv II and Sins of Solar Empire Stardock has established itself as a producer and developer of first class strategy games, and I have high hopes that we'll see something worth the wait for.

Here's a recent Brad Wardell interview where he's peaking about it:

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticl ... 995&page=2

This sums it up quite well:
Strategy Game 2010 ("Not Master of Magic")

It has been known for years that Stardock has designs on the long-dormant Master of Magic franchise, but complications with license owner Atari have stymied the developer's attempts at a true sequel. As CEO Brad Wardell told Gamasutra in 2006, "We were able to agree on the money, so we thought everything was set, then their legal guys got involved, and that's where it stalled."

But the company's MoM-themed project is still in the works minus the license, according to today's report (teaser picture inset). Referred to as Strategy Game 2010 and Not-MOM, the game is "a turn-based strategy game that supports random map generation, integrated modding, city building, unit design, tactical combat, multiplayer, incredibly powerful magical spells, and much more" and is scheduled to enter public beta by next June.

I suppose this would be worth a mentioning in the news section.
ZZZzzzz....

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Oct 2008, 17:46

Let see. Just let see afaik 2010 is having a plenty of time and I certainly hope that they will not screw the original idea - which, judging from the interview, seems to be already done. Simply, it doesn't look for what I was hoping in.

"Arena Battles"

"No editor, hardcoded 3D maps."

"NMP based..."

"...where are the stories? Complex magic and math system? Genuine simplicity? Hmm..."
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 16 Oct 2008, 20:06

Errm, that's Demigod you are talking about. The MOM part comes later on the page. ;)
ZZZzzzz....

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 16 Oct 2008, 21:04

They've been hinting around Not-MOM2 for a long time over on the GalCiv forums. Don't pin the anticipation meter to maximum just yet. Stardock's a good company - they can and will slip the release date if the game's not up to par.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 17 Oct 2008, 00:11

I'm sure they'll do a good job on it. I have the Galactic Civ games. And they seem to have a clue about customer service and treating the customer right.

But I consider Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic to be the spiritual successor to Master of Magic at this point.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Oct 2008, 05:18

@JJ
Oops, sorry then.

By that what you outlined is all what can be heard right now. Which's too little.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”