Easiest RTS?

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Easiest RTS?

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 31 Aug 2008, 13:48

What's the easiest RTS out there? I don't mind if it is an older game. I'm just trying to find a fast fun game that won't have me clicking out of my mind. Or are they all based on speed of reflexes?

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 31 Aug 2008, 14:23

What do you mean by "easiest"? Is it to click slowly and peacefully or easy overall?

Well, I'll have to say that the Blizzard games are very easy in general. Even though Warcraft/Starcraft are fast-paced, games like Spellforce 1 are a LOT harder (which is also much slower)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 31 Aug 2008, 15:01

If you haven't tried Starcraft & Warcraft III yet, you owe it to yourself to do just that, no matter what.

Warcraft III has Normal/Hard difficulty levels, and if you manage to lose on normal, you'll be offered the easy difficulty to complete the scenario you failed. The normal difficulty can be easy (the first campaign) but it can also be quite challenging in some later campaigns.

Asheera, would you recommend Spellforce to someone who really really likes the above games?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 31 Aug 2008, 16:09

Metathron wrote:Asheera, would you recommend Spellforce to someone who really really likes the above games?
I don't know. Spellforce is really different, it's a combination of Settlers and a RTS like Warcraft. To be honest, the first days I played Spellforce it wasn't impressive at all, but then after a while I just loved it... maybe that's me, who doesn't like Warcraft too much.

Spellforce 2 is more like Warcraft though.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 31 Aug 2008, 21:31

I find Age of Mythologies really easy. It's just some building, and whipe the enemie of the field with a shitload of myth mosters...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 31 Aug 2008, 22:23

I don't know, I have warcraft 3, but it seems like there's tons of powers you have to use and there's tons of clicking and pressing keyboard buttons fast to get the advantage.

Actually I was ok at Warcraft (One).

I mean to use TBS examples Civ and Gal Civ are complicated while Heroes 2 is easy...that's the kind of thing I'm looking for but I don't know RTS.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 31 Aug 2008, 22:49

Well I can assure you the Warcraft III interface is one of the most user-friendly in any game, and the game has an almost non-existing learning curve.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 31 Aug 2008, 22:56

Sigh, I think it's the wrong genre for me...my friend and I can't find a game to play online.

I don't like RTS/Shooters and he doesn't like TBS.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 06 Sep 2008, 12:13

In that case, you'd want either warcraft 3 or starcraft. In these games you can adjust the game speed, so clicking is no more a reflex problem.

I played Spellforce 2 but still haven't found anyway to adjust the speed. Not very good if you favor a long run thinking and planning.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 06 Sep 2008, 16:17

IMO Spellforce 2 is ten times worse than Spellforce 1. :tsdown:

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 06 Sep 2008, 16:32

Command and Conquer: Generals.

The AI there is a joke. I was playing on the hardest difficulty (Brutal) in no time. Even on Brutal, the AI did things such as continuously suiciding against a few defenses at the top of a ramp when the ramp next door was completely undefended...

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 06 Sep 2008, 22:57

Yeah, Generals was quite easy. That'swhy i did not go far with it. Mainly i just set it to normal bacause i'm not THAT good at rts games, but suicide runs from the cpu was really annoying, so i didn't play it a lot...

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 25 Sep 2008, 04:55

Try Rise of Nations...it has various difficulties and the game is fun and fast to play. I recommend it B-)

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 25 Sep 2008, 08:58

Got it B-) . And yeah, it's kind fun to play, nice to build your town to the max!

cuc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cuc » 28 Sep 2008, 12:02

The Battle for Middle-earth series fits your description. They have very simple (but not shallow) gameplay and pretty graphics. You do need to click a bit in order to cast some spells and such, but it's as simple as RTS goes.

The first game has cities with walls, the second game plays more like a conventional RTS. You can get the whole series (BFME1, BFME2 and expansion pack) in a very cheap bundle anyway.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 01 Jan 2009, 20:02

Hey thanks CUC I'll check it out.

Zubbus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Zubbus » 05 Jul 2009, 12:16

Asheera wrote:What do you mean by "easiest"? Is it to click slowly and peacefully or easy overall?

Well, I'll have to say that the Blizzard games are very easy in general. Even though Warcraft/Starcraft are fast-paced, games like Spellforce 1 are a LOT harder (which is also much slower)
You gotta be kidding. First of all, Spellforce 1 isn't even a proper RTS. The AI doesn't play the game. Doesn't gather resources or anything. Enemies just keep pouring out of a hole. That's not an RTS.
2nd of all, it's got to be easier than every game that IS an RTS. As mentioned, the AI doesn't even know how to do anything including
-not get in the way of each other or
-cast the only spell he has the only time he needs it,
-or fight first instead of keep swapping places until their enemies kill them.

I am ashamed to admit I have played Spellforce 1 and beat it. And I have not beaten a single RTS. So I don't know how Spellforce can be harder.
The icy yet intense predator hails from Antarctica. His focused eyes betray nothing but lethal instincts. In those eyes every adversary is but a mere fish.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 05 Jul 2009, 16:56

Means you don't have much tactics to counter what you so call 'intelligent' moves, the AI in Warcraft 3 or Starcraft is so easy to beat it's not even funny, while I still struggled against the hordes of armies from Spellforce. :P

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jul 2009, 07:14

Sorry dude, but the little woman is right, AI playing by the rules is never as hard as artificially induced difficulty via waves... except in chess... and they worked for 50+ years for that one...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Zubbus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Zubbus » 06 Jul 2009, 12:27

Well then let's explore it a bit more. I don't mind being the odd one out, I'm more interested why that is.

Where were you having trouble in spellforce 1?

I warcraft 3, I failed to beat Mount Hyjal (further WoW experience tells me that's the last or 1 of the last battles in that campaign.). Although I have Frozen Throne as well, so I played lots of campaigns and I guess I'm stuck half way most of them. So yes, I guess at least that makes WC3 1 of the easier RTS compared to the others.
The icy yet intense predator hails from Antarctica. His focused eyes betray nothing but lethal instincts. In those eyes every adversary is but a mere fish.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”