SPORE

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 02 Oct 2008, 16:03

I was going to buy it or wish for it for Christmas but now knowing that there's an installation limit on it, I'm not so sure. What the heck are you gonna do in ten years if you still wanna play the game but got a new computer and don't have any more installs left?!! ;| How would you acquire such an old game?! The life span of such a game is very short. That's a shame. I was so looking forward to it :(
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 02 Oct 2008, 16:05

I think you can call tech support and see if you can get more installations, but why such a hassle after you have paid $49.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 02 Oct 2008, 16:11

Tech support?! Hmm, still, there are plenty of games without limitations that I wanna have. It just doesn't seem like the proper solution to the whole piracy problem. I think they'll lose fans over it.
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

SoRHunter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SoRHunter » 03 Oct 2008, 08:51

According to the latest news, EA has decided to remove some of the activation limits, due to bad press and the anger of its consumers.

Check this news. ;)

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 03 Oct 2008, 11:21

I guess they recieved a lot of outrage and maybe recognized they were losing sales because of their stupid limitations. I might pick up the game now.
they’re switching to as many re-installs as you want on a maximum of five computers, with a patch for multiple accounts for one machine on the way. That’s a big change of heart.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 03 Oct 2008, 14:29

Well, that surely turned everything upside down :D
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Oct 2008, 13:30

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:I guess they recieved a lot of outrage and maybe recognized they were losing sales because of their stupid limitations. I might pick up the game now.
they’re switching to as many re-installs as you want on a maximum of five computers, with a patch for multiple accounts for one machine on the way. That’s a big change of heart.

I don't get why you didn't just buy it and the crack it... That's hardly piracy, unless you think you shouldn't be allowed to change the rims on your car etc.

And they always do that once a few months have passed and it's obvious that there's plenty of pirated copies out there (and in case of SPORE they broke the record for piracy because of the DRM... ah, the internet, is there anything you can't do?)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 11 Oct 2008, 15:06

Errrrr because I don't use cracks for games. Hopefully EA nixing the DRM will spell the end of DRMs.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 11 Oct 2008, 21:16

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:Errrrr because I don't use cracks for games. Hopefully EA nixing the DRM will spell the end of DRMs.
Can't expect the old and grumpy to keep up with technology, eh? :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 11 Oct 2008, 21:22

Errrrr....cracks are illegal. I am pretty up to speed with technology, thank you very much.

Wolfsburg
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Wolfsburg » 11 Oct 2008, 22:08

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: Errrrr....cracks are illegal. I am pretty up to speed with technology, thank you very much.
Remembers me a good old song from RUSH, The color of right: (refrain) ...you're so full of what is right you can't see what is true...

I myself would answer a bit different to TTs question: I wouldn't buy it under such circumstances because I want them to reconsider their bad choice. And being a customer, there is no better way to do it, then basically not buying their product. IMO, paying them right from the start is not much of a way to make my insatisfaction clear. .

And I know how skeptic you are TT, Im already waiting for the whole: your miserable bucks make no difference when everyone else is paying meatloafs of money for it. :)

But I still like to fantasize I make a big difference. Thats what keeps my boycots going strong.

But anyway, I lost my appetite for it: no Spores for me thanks! (I am sure I heard Corribus saying that before ;| )

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 11 Oct 2008, 22:31

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:Errrrr....cracks are illegal. I am pretty up to speed with technology, thank you very much.
Errrrr... Is it a motorbike? A blender? Some cardboard fastened to a childs bike? Who can tell :tongue:

Though sorry to hear cracks are illegal where you live. Around here (Norway) consumer rights are valued higher than business' desire to cause difficulty.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Oct 2008, 22:50

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:Errrrr because I don't use cracks for games. Hopefully EA nixing the DRM will spell the end of DRMs.
Except they haven't... they just made the DRM less draconic...
Errrrr....cracks are illegal.
That might depend on where you are... but even then no more the any mods.

I'm pretty sure over here as long as i don't sell the modifications it isn't (of course the way they change laws at random i'm not sure atm).

Wolf wrote:I wouldn't buy it under such circumstances because I want them to reconsider their bad choice.
I was wondering because they haven't actually stopped with the DRM, just modified it, so it's hardly taking a stand... espeacily since only 3 installs is unrealistic considering space requirements and formating.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 12 Oct 2008, 00:28

Ethric wrote: Errrrr... Is it a motorbike? A blender? Some cardboard fastened to a childs bike? Who can tell :tongue:
Ummmm...I was puzzled at your suggestion that I become a wanton criminal. 8|
Ethric wrote: Though sorry to hear cracks are illegal where you live. Around here (Norway) consumer rights are valued higher than business' desire to cause difficulty.
Well, you know, evil capitalist system and all. :mad:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Oct 2008, 09:06

And as i already said, mods are also illegal according to the EULA... also, i'm not really sure if cracks are even illegal in America, as i recall some guy winning a suit over there about the EULA not being biding as you only agree to it after purchase and getting the product home...

But i'm too bored to look it up.

Chai26
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Chai26 » 12 Oct 2008, 12:12

played the game recently, actually not so bad, i love the cell stage
the creature stage was rather nice
the tribal stage deserves to burn............ :disagree:
Voodoo Child
Some say, he/she sucks the moisture out of ducks.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 12 Oct 2008, 12:49

The most annoying thing about the game are the every-two-minute random events in the space stage, which require your immediate return to one of your colonies in order to defend it against enemies/pirates/eco-disasters. You cannot have the fun of comfortably exploring the Universe, which would be the point of that stage. They need to fix it.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Chai26
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Chai26 » 13 Oct 2008, 04:17

Veldrynus wrote:The most annoying thing about the game are the every-two-minute random events in the space stage, which require your immediate return to one of your colonies in order to defend it against enemies/pirates/eco-disasters. You cannot have the fun of comfortably exploring the Universe, which would be the point of that stage. They need to fix it.
you actually played that far? :|
Voodoo Child
Some say, he/she sucks the moisture out of ducks.

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 20 Oct 2008, 18:59

I picked this up a week or so ago, and it's a nice game.

Yeah, I sorta lose focus and stop playing once I get to the 3rd stage. I think the first 2 stages are great and fun, but for some reason I never finish playing the tribal stage. The civ and space stages sound fun though, so I'll probably give it a shot again.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”