Dragon Age

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Dragon Age

Unread postby Asheera » 22 Jul 2008, 18:24

A new fantasy RPG by Bioware, Dragon Age, is scheduled to be released in 2009. It's somewhat like Baldur's Gate, but 3D and it's not based on D&D system or world

Here's a gameplay trailer

And also visit the official site
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Jul 2008, 11:53

Pls... all RPG systems on the Pc are based on D&D... this one just isn't D&D like their previous fantasy RPG's.

Looks good though, and the spell system seems very interesting, hope they pull it off.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 23 Jul 2008, 12:00

ThunderTitan wrote:Pls... all RPG systems on the Pc are based on D&D... this one just isn't D&D like their previous fantasy RPG's.
I was referring to games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, which are in the D&D setting ;)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Jul 2008, 12:30

Precisely... but you used based, which can be misleading. Especially in light of what i just said in my previous post, in case you didn't know it...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 23 Jul 2008, 14:58

ThunderTitan wrote:Pls... all RPG systems on the Pc are based on D&D... this one just isn't D&D like their previous fantasy RPG's.
When she talk about a new game from bioware and mentions how it isn't based on D&D, you'd have to be pretty pedantic/obtuse to misunderstand what was meant.

And no, all rpg systems on PC are not based on D&D. A few similar points doesn't equate "based on".

Been long under development, this game. Hope it has a semblance of originality to it, though if we are to judge by it's title...
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jul 2008, 07:52

Ethric wrote: And no, all rpg systems on PC are not based on D&D. A few similar points doesn't equate "based on".
Sure... only 9/10 similar points just ain't enough...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 25 Jul 2008, 14:19

You seem to imply that any game system that uses numbers to describe a characters characteristics is based on D&D? Take the system used in Elder Scrolls for instance, is that based on D&D?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jul 2008, 18:48

No, just ones that use HP, random dmg values between a min and a max, skill points gained each lvl that are added to a random roll etc.

Sure, not all do that, but it's no where nearly as fun not to generalize... so there. :tongue:

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 25 Jul 2008, 22:40

ThunderTitan wrote:No, just ones that use HP, random dmg values between a min and a max, skill points gained each lvl that are added to a random roll etc.

Sure, not all do that, but it's no where nearly as fun not to generalize... so there. :tongue:
All use a HP number, as that's how PC's work. If there wasn't randomiziation of damage it would be a bit dull. Skill points or similar, gained by use or leveling or otherwise, is quite necessary to reflect learning. All perfectly logical choices. So there.
- Duke

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 26 Jul 2008, 11:32

Looks good, but if the gameplay isn't good, I'll pass (like I did with Titan Quest, gameplay :tsdown:)

However a Baldur's Gate look-a-like ? That can't be bad :)

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 26 Jul 2008, 11:55

Also, most RPGs that are not D&D are not round based, do not have sleep/memorize mechanics - instead use mana, Armor values are based on damage reduction instead of damage evasion, there are no where NEAR the amount of classes, lack of multiclassing, dual-classing etc., usually it's harder to mess your character up (very easy to do so in D&D if you aren't familiar with the rules) etc..

So if they say it's not gonna be D&D, it's not, it's gonna be a lot different from BG/NWN etc. mechanic wise even though they will both be RPGs.
Infiltrator out.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Jul 2008, 14:09

Ethric wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:No, just ones that use HP, random dmg values between a min and a max, skill points gained each lvl that are added to a random roll etc.

All use a HP number, as that's how PC's work. If there wasn't randomiziation of damage it would be a bit dull. Skill points or similar, gained by use or leveling or otherwise, is quite necessary to reflect learning. All perfectly logical choices. So there.
And elves, dwarves etc are pretty logical choices because they're mythology etc., don't make all the Tolkien copiers anything else.

no where NEAR the amount of classes, lack of multiclassing, dual-classing etc.,
So if they only copy the left corner of a picture it's an original artwork?

most RPGs that are not D&D are not round based, do not have sleep/memorize mechanics - instead use mana,
I did say 9/10 especially for the mana.
Also, the Bioware pause thing started with BG, and it just looks like there are no turns, otherwise you'd be able to hit your opponent at the same time he hits you, and that don't happen in many RPG, except those that are more like shooters with stats (annoying trend btw).

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 28 Jul 2008, 14:30

Copying means duplicating something original. Broad general stuff, like using numbers in a PC-game, isn't something you can copy.
- Duke

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 28 Jul 2008, 14:52

@TT: Do you consider Spellforce based on D&D system as well?

You know, it would truly be original if you would enlighten us how to make a game with a different system of mathematics, not numbers... maybe visual system? :tongue:

Too bad computers work with numbers :devious:
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Jul 2008, 15:08

Ethric wrote:Copying means duplicating something original. Broad general stuff, like using numbers in a PC-game, isn't something you can copy.
Sure, because it's only using numbers...

Also, there are other non computer rpg systems out there that aren't D&D, so it's not only the numbers.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 28 Jul 2008, 15:26

Yeah well I know I was a bit over sarcastic, but I don't consider Spellforce (for example) a D&D clone or based on it. ;)
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Jul 2008, 08:24

And that's why "the exception that proves the rule" rule was implemented... so i'd be right anyway... :tongue:

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 30 Jul 2008, 11:56

Well, cept you're not, because you've blurred the line between the D&D/non D&D RPGs so much that by your standards every game is a ripoff, because it has some form of hitpoints and damage values, mana or ammunition etc.

waffen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waffen » 30 Jul 2008, 13:18

I believe this game has a potential to be good, because of exelent developers. Hopefully this will be something like Buldurs gate storywise.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Aug 2008, 13:39

Infiltrator wrote:Well, cept you're not, because you've blurred the line between the D&D/non D&D RPGs so much that by your standards every game is a ripoff, because it has some form of hitpoints and damage values, mana or ammunition etc.
Thus making me always right on the issue... :devil:

But really, i was kinda expecting you ppl to understand that it was implied that all those things should be close in the way they're approached in development terms to D&D (Sacred for example has, as i recall, a system based on % for how the stats affect everything, which is a different approach, even if some other stuff is kinda D&D-ish), sometimes i have these weird bouts of optimism, but 10x for straitening me out...

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”