Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics

When Will DNF come out?

No votes
No votes
52%
1998?
4%
Know why it's called Duke Nukem Forever? Cuz it's forever in development!
30%
It's out! :-D
13%

Total votes: 23

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jun 2011, 20:18

Played the demo (Borderlands GotY came with a code)... man, they sure picked a boring second part to use in it. And it was pretty buggy, with some annoying framerate drops...

Otherwise the game was fine, even if they went with only being able to hold 2 weapons at a time for some reasons...

EDIT: Oh, and the code for Duke Nudem's final wallpaper is DNitems.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 07 Jun 2011, 21:06

ThunderTitan wrote: Otherwise the game was fine, even if they went with only being able to hold 2 weapons at a time for some reasons...

If theres one kinda bad thing Halo set in motion regarding gameplay features. It was regen shields and only two weapons. Well I guess there were other shooters that had those beforehand, but Halo made it more buzzed about.
The bad thing is that... well as you mention Duke only can have two.. That not the Duke way, he ARE a one man army and to honor the retro way, he should be able to carry a shitload of weapons at once like in the good ol' days. "Realistic" or not. The two weapon thing fits more with, well HALO and warfare games. Heck even the newer Battlefield games and the latest AVP game holded 3-4 weapons.

The good thing is that it only fits those kind of games, not Duke.

Btw! TT, can you describe how the EGO "health/shield" bar works? Last time I read about it, it regens ONLY when defeating enemies and may get larger through certain points in the game? I know though that a Balls of Steel / Limited Edition gives you a code to permanently increase the bar??

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jun 2011, 21:22

From what i could tell the regen happened while not fighting, but i didn't pay much attention to it, and the demo was rather short... it could have been triggered by me killing all the enemies....

And the 2 weapon thing is worse because they count the pistol too...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 12 Jun 2011, 21:07

well, played the full game for awhile now and....

i dunno.

it kinda gives me the Duke Nukem feeling and some of the jokes are ok, but the RC racing and turret popamoling....

also, being able to only carry 2 weapons is not very Duke-like.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 13 Jun 2011, 07:54

Talin_Trollbane wrote:also, being able to only carry 2 weapons is not very Duke-like.
I hear that from every person who played this game. Looks like game developers forgot what Duke should be like.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Jun 2011, 18:26

Review in Norwegian Pressfire: grade 2/6.

Basically they're saying that the game has been so hyped up by the legendary old games, that not only could it never live up to expectations, but it isn't even a good game anymore:

"Not only is Duke Nukem himself an ancient antique - he simply doesn't fit in. The game is neither satirical, daring nor particularly funny - elements which have to be there to cultivate his two-dimensional and parodic personality.
Playing through the game feels like getting a taster of what's been going on in the genre over the years."
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Jun 2011, 19:00

Eurogamer: "This is an ugly game, committing practically every graphical sin imaginable. Textures are crude and blurry when they bother to load in at all. Jagged edges turn every diagonal into ziggurat steps while the frame rate chugs up and down. Lumpen and stuttering, Forever does not look like a game that has benefited from millions of hours of development time.

It's the gameplay that's important, of course, but beneath the glitchy surface things aren't much better. Aiming is jerky and imprecise, even after tinkering with the sensitivity. Movement is heavy and sticky, frequently leaving you snagged on scenery or bumping up against invisible walls. Both jumping and running feel sluggish, with Duke's grunts suggesting that he probably should have put some more gym time in before his big comeback."

3/10
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jun 2011, 12:27

Heh, everyone is reviewing the Xbox version... you can tell because that's where the texture and loading (and texture loading) problems are.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 25 Jun 2011, 17:37

Got mine today, can't see what the bad press is all about. As TT said, I think they have the wrong version; I haven't seen a graphical glitch at all, except that it needs a second to get into "focus" when you load. But that's a doddle. And loading's for pussies anyway. Far from spectacular but serviceable graphics, and smooooth sailing at highest configuration.

Gameplay-wise, my only complaint is the inane conecpt of only being able to carry 2 weapons (for which I blame consoles). Had a faint hope that it was only a demo-thing, but nooo... oh well. Otherwise it's a plain old monster-bashing wise-cracking Duke'em up shooter. Which is nothing more nor nothing less than I expected. Fun times :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jun 2011, 22:16

It's really annoying how nowadays they only review the console versions...

But of course 3/10 when they started giving 9+ to any game even if it's not ground-breaking, like a 9+ one should be, looks like simple spite...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 26 Jun 2011, 09:21

I think it is because reviewers nowadays are 19 year old plonkers who didn't play Duke Nukem I on a 386 cpu, and wasn't allowed to play Duke 3D. Because they were 4 years old. And now they squint down the passage of time with the hubris of youth and a determination that Duke is old, and old is uncool, and they'd rather play Halo 7 or whatever. And of course, they only have an xbox...

And I added a poll option :)

edit: and a new signature quote, said by Duke when impeded by a locked door forcing him to go the perilous way around. I burst out laughing at that point, reminds me of Rincewinds steady stream of fourth-wall commentary :D
- Duke

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 26 Jun 2011, 11:37

Duke Nukem Forever was good fun despite linear level design, weapon limit and other modern day atrocities. There was more variety in action than in any other FPS game to date and the pacing was good. Some levels were excellent, others poor, while most were good.

Ultimately the biggest problem is that it was too short (about 9 hours to finish).
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jun 2011, 12:20

It's really sad that nowadays it's ~10h campaign is considered long.

And Ethric, the last option should have had a year attached to it too.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 26 Jun 2011, 12:24

In case we forget which year it is? Or for posterity? But posterity needs their puzzles.
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jun 2011, 13:02

Remembering what year it is is for people with too much free space on their brains...

But i was thinking more about making it clear that none of the options where right...

Especially not this one:
darknessfood wrote:i think about 2010 really.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 26 Jun 2011, 19:46

Ethric wrote:Duke Nukem I on a 386 cpu
The way it's meant to be played! B-)
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 26 Jun 2011, 20:40

TheUndeadKing wrote:
Ethric wrote:Duke Nukem I on a 386 cpu
The way it's meant to be played! B-)
As in "laggy" as hell and with low quality on smallest screen? Besides "minimum" requirements for it was 486.

EDIT: Oops sorry. Thought you meant Duke Nukem 3D. :P
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 26 Jun 2011, 21:02

No worries. :D :)
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 26 Jun 2011, 21:19

The first one, as in:

:D
- Duke

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 26 Jun 2011, 22:24

And what's really funny was that his name was actually "Duke Nukum" in the first game. :D

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”