Latest game you purchased

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 20 Apr 2009, 16:57

Kalah wrote:If, like me, you're not stuffed full of cash
*checks account* Nope, not at all like you :tonguehands: Yet I have no console... but then we're back to needing a bigger TV as well. Then They'll want my name, to squeeze me for my hard earned cash (TV-fee *shakes fist*).

And you agree with me, but felt an urge to post twice as much as me to say so? :creative:
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Apr 2009, 18:13

Ethric wrote:And you agree with me, but felt an urge to post twice as much as me to say so?
Yes.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 20 Apr 2009, 18:50

Kalah wrote:To be sure, it works, but it's not very practical on a daily basis. It sure doesn't look very good. A console simply fits more naturally into the home movie theatre than a PC.
Why would it look "worse" than with a console? It doesn't make sense, unless the space is occupied by a console. Not to mention laptops which are also much more flexible than consoles.

Nevertheless my point stands: the PC is an open platform and I think everyone who plays games needs one anyway, but not the other way around (i.e consoles).

As for plugging the switch and loading fast, ever heard of stand-by mode? :P
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Apr 2009, 22:06

Borsuc wrote:Why would it look "worse" than with a console?
You have never lived with a woman, have you...? :tongue:

Ahkay, quick explanation of what I mean: I'm talking about aesthetics. A console is small and can be slid in and stored along with the rest of the stereo, and it's quite often designed to look nice. A PC is a large, square box. You can't "pack it away", it doesn't look nice, and to the girl in the house, it would be a real eye-sore. She would say a PC doesn't belong in the living room, and to get it the hell back into the office underneath the desk before the dinner guests arrive.
Borsuc wrote:the PC is an open platform and I think everyone who plays games needs one anyway, but not the other way around (i.e consoles).
Yes, that's what I said: PCs are more practical overall. And you can hook them up to the home movie theatre system like I have (meaning you can use them for everything), but it's not good as a permanent thing.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 20 Apr 2009, 22:22

Kalah wrote:You have never lived with a woman, have you...? :tongue:

Ahkay, quick explanation of what I mean: I'm talking about aesthetics. A console is small and can be slid in and stored along with the rest of the stereo, and it's quite often designed to look nice. A PC is a large, square box. You can't "pack it away", it doesn't look nice, and to the girl in the house, it would be a real eye-sore. She would say a PC doesn't belong in the living room, and to get it the hell back into the office underneath the desk before the dinner guests arrive.
Huh? I mean, I get what you mean, but you are aware there are many types of "configurations" you can do, if you want something stylish and/or small instead? There are even 'home theater' pre-packaged systems (although I personally prefer to package them myself). (for example, cases designed for microATX motherboards, not full ATX, etc...)

Or get a laptop and hook that up. Can't get slimmer than that :tongue:

And PCs aren't just "more practical", they are the embodiment of information processing and software -- that is, software is DESIGNED to be open, not "hard-coded" or "hard-wired". After all, the PC has the same 'types' of components (processor, graphics card, motherboard, even if different Intel vs IBM instruction sets) as a console. The difference is that PCs use their capacities to full (a processor can do ANY information processing, not just games/movies, including programming), instead of being limited as in the console.

My point stands: most people who play games need PCs. People who have PCs don't need consoles, unless the damn games were made for PCs (think: emulators work fine, so it IS possible, even if slow as hell). If only those devs had less of this obsolete idea of "hard-wired specialized and 'locked' closed system" like a console is.

Another example of a locked closed system is anything that has PC components but doesn't act as a PC (i.e is very limited). The processor inside CAN DO as much as a PC but is obviously limited in it's power because of the design -- which is why I consider it obsolete (the design I mean).

Ok enough rant from me regarding this subject, maybe I should make a thread "Why consoles suck" if I had the time :P (of course, I'll detail it's only my opinion)
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Apr 2009, 17:00

yes, yes, consoles are for noobs that have too much money... lets move on.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 22 Apr 2009, 01:36

ThunderTitan wrote:yes, yes, consoles are for noobs that have too much money... lets move on.
Only if they whine that "my PC is 5 years old, can't handle new stuff" when they have a console... ;)

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 22 Apr 2009, 11:01

I have bought Company of Heroes:Tales of Valor last week. Got it relatively cheap, and it is fun, mainly the new MP modes.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Apr 2009, 14:58

How's it work? I mean, what the story, is it like a C&C mode thing, where you sit "above" it all and direct your troops 'n stuff?

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 22 Apr 2009, 18:51

Original CoH + Opposing Fronts are pretty much classic RTS (though they are about capturing and holding strategic points and sectors, similar to Dawn of War, not about mining something).
Tales of Valor has introduced "direct fire" mode, where you control where your unit will fire, but it is enabled only in new campaigns and one MP mode (operation:panzerkrieg). When you hit "direct fire mode" button, you will still control the movement of that unit with RMB, but with LMB you point where your unit (for example your Tiger tank in the Tiger Ace campaign) will fire.
-Ahzek Ahriman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Apr 2009, 07:42

Tales of Valor is out... hmm...

BTW, CoH takes some getting used to... 1st time i played i was losing left and right, and i've been RTS-ing since at least '98...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Apr 2009, 10:56

Some (most) of the reviews of Tales of Valor on amazon.co.uk are pretty poor...

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 23 Apr 2009, 13:10

It is not an ideal expansion pack, but I think it is good.
You will get 3 campaigns, each containing 3 missions, then 8 alternate units (2 for each army). Not additional, they replace your original units, if you want to use them. (so they are something similar to HoMM4, where you get one unit or another) For example Wehrmacht has new tank hunter vehicle (I forgot the name) which replaces your StuG, or the British have armored car (Staghound) as a replacement for the Cromwell command tank. So you can somewhat customize your army.
It is a shame that you will get only one map for each new MP mode, and the campaigns are short, but I am satisfied with it. I won't sound like a fanatic Relic fanboy defending the game to the last breath, I just didn't expect new Frozen Throne.
-Ahzek Ahriman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Apr 2009, 09:24

Kalah wrote:Some (most) of the reviews of Tales of Valor on amazon.co.uk are pretty poor...
Well i would have suggested you get Opposing Fronts anyhow... and just mod it to allow you to play the original campaign... or wait for a Gold/Platinum version...

And it has a 70 on Metacritic, which isn't all that bad for such an experimental expansion...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 24 Apr 2009, 19:14

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 25 Apr 2009, 18:40

Latest four additions: Sacred 2 (mainly for lan and multiplayer with friends), Deep Space, Far Cry 2 and one of the best RPG games ever: The Witcher The Enchanced Edition.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 27 Apr 2009, 19:24

Bought Dawn of War 2 today. Man, I'm glad I did so.
-Ahzek Ahriman

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 16 May 2009, 19:01

Just got C&C: Red Alert for free. That should be fun.
Also got SW: Force Unleashed. Both for PS3. Can't wait to get started :-D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 16 May 2009, 19:25

Red Alert for the PS3. There I was, thinking that only RA 3 appeared on that console :devious: ...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Zubbus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Zubbus » 04 Jul 2009, 17:27

Bought Heroes V Gold Edition for £10 and it just arrived today. NOT looking too great for £10 so far. Hope it gets better.

Same with StarCraft, except I paid a fair bit more for the Battlechest and I'm definitely done with it.
The icy yet intense predator hails from Antarctica. His focused eyes betray nothing but lethal instincts. In those eyes every adversary is but a mere fish.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”