King's Bounty / HoMM differences...

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ToastMan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

King's Bounty / HoMM differences...

Unread postby ToastMan » 11 Mar 2008, 09:53

I tried to look around but couldn't find a straight answer for this.

I know that King's Bounty is the spiritual predecessor of the HoMM series but I have never actually played it. From what I've seen in the screenshots and video of the new King's Bounty it looks almost identical to HoMM. In what ways does King's Bounty (or more specifically, the new KB if possible) differ from the HoMM series?

On a side note I'd like to add that from I've seen, King's Bounty Legends looks fantastic. It seems that it takes a lot inspiration from Heroes V art style and then takes it up a notch. Really looking forward for this...

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 11 Mar 2008, 10:07

Thats very easy. KB is RPG/Adventure with tactical battles. Heroes is TBS.

It seems that it takes a lot inspiration from Heroes V art style and then takes it up a notch.
Never say that again. I honestly think that this would offend KB artists. Besides its as silly as saying that Disciples3 took inspiration from Heroes V. KB art is very different from H5 and any other Heroes games.

ToastMan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ToastMan » 11 Mar 2008, 10:23

I was looking for a more descriptive explanation. That's an answer that I've already found and I don't know what to make of it.

I guess you're right. Maybe saying that it takes inspiration from H5 wasn't accurate, but can you honestly say the art direction in both games are very different? I'm finding a lot similarities. But like I said, KB artists are doing a much better job with it. Especially animation-wise. Very fluent and natural.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 13 Mar 2008, 13:31

Toastman if you don't mind old games you can try the original kings bounty.

My impression is that you control your level up points (instead of having them assigned to you) and that you can run around on the world map in real time to fulfill story objectives.

The combat looks hex based. So more like Heroes 3.

waffen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waffen » 23 May 2008, 10:33

Main difference is that you have no need to upgrade castles, no active opponents in KB:tL. Your hero is freely roaming fantasy realm without any fear that enemy heroe will jump out from the nearest portal and catch you with small army. There is your main heroe and large map with different locations. You are not in hurry building castle and collecting resources in fastest way. If you engage strong army, you can just escape and fight this army later. If you visit castle, you can hire army and receive quests.
There are a lot of quests. You can solve problems of peasants and nobles, doing mercenary job (head hunting), marry elf or demon girl :devil:

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 23 May 2008, 16:52

or zombie...

There are so many quests and stories in it... it's practically mind-boggling. But then I expected no less from Katauri after the stunning Space Rangers games.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 24 Jun 2008, 03:23

innokenti wrote:But then I expected no less from Katauri after the stunning Space Rangers games.
Are those turn-based?

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 25 Jun 2008, 18:22

Yup.

And excellent.

Hambone
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Hambone » 05 Aug 2008, 01:01

Hi Toastman, great question and one I decided to answer for myself quite definitively!

So a few years ago I wrote an essay precisely on how King's Bounty evolved into the HOMM series and what we can trace of the gameplay similarities throughout. Since the new King's Bounty is coming out soon, and since the upcoming HOMM:Kingdoms is going to again tinker with the fundamental gameplay recipe, I thought my old essay would be worth reposting on the new HOMM:Kingdoms specialty site I've just launched.

Let me know what you think. I might update it once I get the new King's Bounty in my hands, or if someone has more info on the development of the genre historically.

Speaking of which, I'm off to hunt down a copy of the Space Rangers game Innokenti mentioned... :D

"The adding features part depends on the end of the patch plan." -- Fabrice Cambounet

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 07 Aug 2008, 01:13

Cool site Hambone. I'll look over it when I get some time.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”