No votes

Total votes: 0

Dillips
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Virtual Console Review: Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts

Unread postby Dillips » 11 Jan 2008, 16:58

http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/action/super ... ?id=538574

If you have an account on Gamespot please rate my review and if you track me I will do the same. If not then just check out my review below, any comments are welcome.

Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts

This sequel is less enjoyable then the original, but it is still good fun.

Four years after the previous story Osteoporosis sufferer Arthur has to save princess Prin-Prin from the evil Demon Emperor Sardius which is exactly the same story as the original (Except a last time it was evil Loki.)

The first difference from Ghouls ‘n Ghosts is that you can’t play this game if you don’t have a classic or Gamecube controller. I understand that this is the SNES version, but this title only requires two buttons and the digital pad, why isn’t the Remote compatible with this game?

The level design is top notch with each level having something new to offer: in one you’re in a graveyard with coffins rising from the ground in another you’re sailing the angry seas on a tiny raft. Platforming has also improved with the introduction of the double jump; this means you will be required to put more thought into jumping, as failure will usually result in death. All this increases the challenge and adds more depth to the gameplay.

Littered around these levels are money bags which are worth 500 or 1000 points collect a certain number of these and you earn and extra life, however some are placed in the most annoying places, like near a hazard or a difficult platform, so you will be thinking “Is it really worth taking that risk?”. I enjoyed attempting to get every single last one.

Hidden chests make a welcome return, which contain either, weapons, armour, evil wizard or a leg trap (which kills you instantly!) and compared to the original the triggers are in hard to reach places, often requiring the player to jump and double jump around to see if one appears. This adds to the enjoyment of the game and makes a welcome return to this sequel.

Arthur can no longer his fire weapons up or down (comes with old age), presumably to give the new weapons certain advantages, this feels very restricting particularly if you’re a fan of the original. The weapons found in this game replace ones found in the original; unfortunately there is a lack of balance in terms of the usefulness of each weapon.

This game now has another amour type called super armour which upgrades your weapons and its fun to see how this effects the way this effects the gameplay. The magic armour makes a return with a magic gauge which unleashes a powerful weapon specific attack when charged; unfortunately these powers are very similar and don’t offer any memorable or unique.

The magic armour now provides you with a red shield which absorbs a single projectile, which is virtually useless as it has only taken two hits in my fifty hours playing this game (see 3:47 "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ_gizJiZ-I" the shield finally had some use!). The upgrade to the blue shield increases the charging speed of the magic gauge which is far more useful.

The wizards make a welcome return, this time round they are far easier to kill, but at least now they turn you into a variety of different things, such as a baby, teenage girl or even an animal, this stops you from attacking and slow Arthur’s movement.

Bosses and monsters look more detailed and the background looks ok, but I would have preferred a bit more artwork in the background. I have also noticed an occasional drip in the frame rate during boss fights. The audio doesn’t sound as good as the original especially the background music which is very forgettable compared to the previous games, and the some of the sound is on par with the NES.

Despite the introduction of the new items I felt this game wasn’t as fun as the original, at least the level design and the challenging platforming makes this worth considering a download. If you own a classic controller and a fan of the previous title then you should think about downloading this game, everyone else should try Ghouls ‘n Ghosts before purchase.

Strengths: Great level design, new abilities and items, good graphics

Weakness: Boss fights are easier, no two player mode, music isn’t great, some bad audio, Arthur moves slower, unbalanced weapons

7.0 Good
Check out my reviews and news!

http://uk.gamespot.com/users/Chief-Irons

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”