Round Table Hero

Dragon Quest/Warrior Series of Games

Unread postby winterfate » 05 Nov 2007, 01:44

Well, hello guys!

Friday I got two games:

1) Titan Quest

and

2) Dragon Quest 8

For those of you who have NEVER played Dragon Warrior/Quest (same thing, hence the slash), it's a series of JRPG games that has been running since the NES.

I've played Dragon Warrior 3 (remade for the GBA) and Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 (a Pokemon clone spinoff of the series. The newest title, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, is coming out very soon)

I've only logged in about 40 minutes into the game, but I love it already. Not to mention, Akira Toriyama drew up the characters and stuff. :D

The game is as god-forsaken difficult as ever though (comparing it to the 3rd one). You NEED to powerlevel to get anywhere...since the first boss can do upwards of 20 damage per hit, and he can also Curse (paralyzes afflicted victim).

I lost over 40 minutes of progress when I got wiped out (not truly, you just return to the last place you saved at...and you save at churches :))

However, I just reset...I'm too perfectionist.

So, that's it from me...for now. Let's hear your experiences in the Dragon Quest/Warrior universe! :D
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 05 Nov 2007, 02:55

Hmm, yes I played a dragon warrior for NES. Seemed exactly like zelda and crystalis. Level up in some fashion, and get cool stronger swords. I remember it being fun but that's about it.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: Dragon Quest/Warrior Series of Games

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 05 Nov 2007, 22:50

winterfate wrote:Well, hello guys!

Friday I got two games:

1) Titan Quest

and

2) Dragon Quest 8

For those of you who have NEVER played Dragon Warrior/Quest (same thing, hence the slash), it's a series of JRPG games that has been running since the NES.

I've played Dragon Warrior 3 (remade for the GBA) and Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 (a Pokemon clone spinoff of the series. The newest title, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, is coming out very soon)

I've only logged in about 40 minutes into the game, but I love it already. Not to mention, Akira Toriyama drew up the characters and stuff. :D
And his style really becomes pronounced when your characters go all super-seiyajin :-)

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 09 Nov 2007, 02:24

:D :lolu:

Even if it weren't already obvious...you can tell he has something to do with the game when your party members "psyche up" during battle (building up tension to deal additional damage with the next attack.) If that doesn't look like Akira's style, I don't know what does. ;)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Nov 2007, 19:22

Funny you should mention it. I just recently started to play the game (DQVIII for PS2) myself. It's a nice change from the FF series. For starters, it's actually quite difficult. Very easy to die, and I've already died several times. The lack of save points outside of towns really makes it hard. The game is quite charming in a light-hearted way and the music is some of the best I've ever heard in a video game. I picked it up for 15 dollars used and it's been well worth it.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 09 Nov 2007, 23:04

@Corribus: Indeed it is...all Dragon Quest games are...but it is, as you say, a nice change in difficulty. :)

Using Tension against bosses is key though...as I've figured out already. :)
I think an attack done in High Tension (3 turns of psyching up) does 10x damage...not sure though.

So, how far are you into the game?
I have a party of 3 right now:

[The Hero] : Lv. 11
Gustav: Lv. 11
??????? (t'would be a spoiler if you're not that far yet): Lv. 9

:)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Nov 2007, 05:25

I am about level 10. I just "rescued" Jessica from the tower.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 10 Nov 2007, 12:47

winterfate wrote:@Corribus: Indeed it is...all Dragon Quest games are...but it is, as you say, a nice change in difficulty. :)

Using Tension against bosses is key though...as I've figured out already. :)
I think an attack done in High Tension (3 turns of psyching up) does 10x damage...not sure though.
I believe each level of tension doubles the character's attack power. Against a 0 defense enemy, this means double the damage. Against very high defense creatures (like metal creatures), sometimes you cannot do more than 1 damage (and usually a miss rather than even that) until you get to maximum tension

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 11 Nov 2007, 23:04

@Corribus: I see. :)

I have the full party of 4 myself at the moment now. :D
IIRC:

The Hero: Lv.14
Gustav: Lv. 15 (he does seems to level up faster than everyone else ;|)
Jessica: Lv: 13
?????? (lol...doesn't the manual say who the fourth member is ;)): Lv.13

@Qurqirish Dragon: That sounds about right...thus it would be 8x damage then :).

What does that imply about the super Brownies though?
Super high tension! :S
(Kaioken FTW...*cough*red aura tension*cough* :))
Would that be 16x damage? 8|

I loathe Metal Slimes...my hero got Metal Cut though...good luck managing to get the attack off though...
If my previous Dragon Quest game experience is any indication...they give gobs of EXP and Gold...but their defense and agility is through the roof...:S

Now, imagine trying to catch one of those in the DQ Monster spinoff game.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 13 Nov 2007, 16:32

I really like the game. I haven't played a Dragon Quest (then, Dragon Warrior) game since the first one waaaaaaaay back a long time ago. The voice acting is just fabulous. But I have to say, I find the whole "confessing your sins" way to save the game a little strange.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 13 Nov 2007, 23:26

:rofl:

Indeed it is my friend.

And now, a minor spoilerific (because it's just not obvious in the game :S):

Unlocking Super High Tension:

Well, you know how to get into High Tension right? Psyche Up three times consecutively with a character (the game tells you that that character has "reached a state of high tension"). Well, do this enough (10 times, party total, not per character...IIRC) and you won't get that message after you reach 50 Tension. Psyche Up again and voila! (it has a fail chance...it can say on occasion: Character's "tension did not rise to the maximum"...or something like that...in that case, try and try until it does work)

P.S: I won't spoil HOW they look...especially the Hero. Akira outdid himself with Super High Tension IMO. ;)

P.P.S: Hope that made sense. :)

P.P.P.S (lol): How far have you gotten Corribus? :)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 14 Nov 2007, 16:26

I just beat the squid-monster on the ship. But since I play at most an hour a weak, things are going very slowly. :)

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 15 Nov 2007, 16:17

You still have a while till you get that fourth party member. ;)

*sigh* My internet's on the fritz...I'm using the university's connection ATM...:sad:

And it blocks MySpace and Hotmail...:wall:

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 02 Dec 2007, 01:13

I'm back...finally!

So, I've logged about 40 hours into DQVIII, and I just have to say...awesome!!!

I'm still not done though...:loll:

My party:

Hero: LV.34
Yangus: LV.34
Angelo: LV.32
Jessica: LV.32

And my characters are closing in on 100 for at least one skill tree...Hero and Angelo for Swords, Yangus for Clubs (I hope you didn't invest in this tree...it sucks :S) and Jessica in Staves (Staves rule! :D)

So, how far have you gotten Corribus? :)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Oct 2008, 20:29

I just recently beat it, a week or two ago. See, I told you it would take me a while. :)

Zubbus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Zubbus » 05 Jul 2009, 13:01

Almost 2 years since your post. Dunno if you will still see this, but I played almost the exact same games as you did.
I played DQ3 (although on the NES)
Then I played DQ8. I got about half way and got bored, but my brother finished it.

And now Monster Joker is out and I had a bash too.

If you enjoyed DQ8's art, might want to try PS2's Dark Cloud 2 (aka Dark Chronicles). It's an action RPG so it's quite different. But a very good game.
The icy yet intense predator hails from Antarctica. His focused eyes betray nothing but lethal instincts. In those eyes every adversary is but a mere fish.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”