Mass Effect

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 11 Jun 2008, 12:31

Well, you don't work, so you can use that time for some good looking ;)!Or trying to get nice :)!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jun 2008, 10:54

I don't work?1 Why do you think i started posting here again?! I haven't posted from home for months...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 12 Jun 2008, 19:14

Cause your mom kicked you out of the basemend! :devious:
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Jun 2008, 09:49

She'd have to dig one first... and all the bodies would just get in the way...

STUPID F*CKING COMPUTERS.... STUPID ME TOO FOR NOT JUST BUYING A DVD INSTEAD OF WANTING TO USE THE ONE I GOT LAST YEAR...

but as soon as that's over Mass Effect here i come...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 16 Aug 2008, 20:06

I finished my first play through as a soldier/storm trooper, taking the paragon route. Great game! I used the asault rifle and shotgun as my weapons.

Next I'll play as an adept and chose assault rifle as my bonus talent.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 04 Oct 2009, 10:10

So, Im jumped off the l4d (at least until part 2) and was able try other nice games. And ME is surely one.

Finished it few days ago with soldier class.
Initially I started as Infiltrator, because I like being an ass and kill most of the enemies even before they can make it into their own firing range. But soon I found that sniper rifles very underpowered here. So I started with assault rifles & shotguns class.

My overall impression is that ME is the first awesome sci-fi RPG (not hack&slash). Story line is good, dialogs are great, visuals and fighting system are cool too (aside from underpowered snipers ;) )
Its a bit short to my taste though, and some secondary quests are boring, but nonetheless it's an excellent game.

ps: Taking renegade options mostly is much funnier. :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Nov 2009, 11:45

Dammit, still haven't played this one... but now i actually own it... hopefully soon i'll get off my arse and play it.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 21 Nov 2009, 18:10

The game is so good that I completed it twice (second time more thoroughly) under two months. Haven't touched it much since then, but it is definitely one of the best RPGs ever (and best scifi rpg I've played). Cinematic, fascinating story, best dialogue system to date, nice graphics and ok combat. Only downside is that there's rather little in the way of character customization.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 14 Jan 2010, 21:37

MistWeaver wrote:But soon I found that sniper rifles very underpowered here. So I started with assault rifles & shotguns class.
Interestingly I played through once with an Infiltrator, and on my second time now I took Vanguard with Singularity bonus skill. But I just don't know if I can carry on without sniper rifle, especially in landscape-fights. Underpowered is the last I'd say it is, because you can fire from so far away that you can't even see the enemy (before you zoom on that is. Yes you have to sense that they are there). And it's handy for it's frequent knockbacks. Tried equipping Garrus with sniper rifle, but meh. The accompanying morons seldom shoot at all, let alone snipe.

One thing I wonder, which I have read in several game guides/tips, is people recommending that you don't put points into charm/intimidate, because you get 3-4 points for free and by your third playthrough with the same character you'll have full up with points in those skills. But why the frak would I play through it three times with the same character? When I play through another time, I want to try something else, and I certainly don't want to be fully leveled when I do it. Sillyness...

What I like best about this game: shooting people in the face during conversation :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

SoRHunter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SoRHunter » 15 Jan 2010, 12:12

Those who say to not put any point into Charm/Intimidate are trying to get the best character possible to import in Mass Effect 2. For that to happen, you can get those skills for free - why should you put your hard earned points in something you can get for free?

By the way, after your first play-through, there are still 10 levels for you to grab (the first time, you can only get to level 50; the next time, you can go up to level 60). ;) Oh! And you don't have to do every single side quest in the game for each play-through! :)

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Jan 2010, 18:37

So you will keep your charm/intimidate skills in ME 2? Because those are then the only skills you will keep, from what I've read. I haven't seen that reasoning mentioned either.

But easier to just use a character editor then, to avoid the drag of playing through three times with the same non-improving character. Unless that's your thing, I won't judge ;)
- Duke

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 17 Jan 2010, 14:08

No, I don't think you keep charm/intimidate, as those skills don't exist in ME 2. Not putting points in charm/intimidate was just to get the most powerful combat character possible when playing ME 1.

Your character will start as a level 1 character with bonus skill points based on the level character that you import. The "Rich" achievement means you start with more credits to spend. Having done the mineral quests means you start with more minerals. Your squad members that died under your command stay dead. If you had a romance going on with a squad member that continues.

You have the option of changing class and facial features when you import a character. If you let the council die that carries over. How you treated some other characters carries over.

That's as much about the carry over stuff that I recall.

It looks like some of the role playing elements were nerfed and it leans a little more towards the shooter side as far as combat goes. But I think there will still be a lot of non-combat role-playing elements.

Oh, another thing is whther you were more of a paragon or a renegade carries over. I think it is only a portion of those points though, not all of them.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 25 Jan 2010, 19:30

Goooosh... I have now at least 3-5 saves ready to import some of the same character but different ending. Imagine the headache for Bioware when they try to figure out the diffferent consequences that snowballs through ME, ME 2 and into ME 3 8|

Right now Im doing a ruthless Adept going havoc with Tali and Kaidan at his sides. I though the sci-fi mage would be boring, couldnt be more wrong!

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 27 Jan 2010, 09:02

I finished a ME playthrough just a few days ago with an adept. I used Ashley and Tali all the way through.

I imported him to ME 2 where he started at level 5 and is now level 8.

I don't think I've played enough to give a good overall impression. The first parts of the game were like a tutorial though it didn't call it that. The minigames that replace electronics/decryption weren't explained well and took a little getting used to. A lot of people had trouble with downloadable content yesterday when it kicked off but I think that has been resolved now.

I had trouble with the mouse being too sensitive. There is no way to adjust mouse sensitivity with the controls, but you can edit a file to do so.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... 5/1#785861

Dispite the things I've mentinoed my initial impression is it is a good game. It is more of a shooter as far as combat goes than the first one was. But there looks to be a lot of story and dialog in the game.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 10 Feb 2010, 02:41

I've finished Mass Effect 2 for second time already and I have to say it is definitely one of the best games ever. First Mass Effect was epic, second is a lot better (thought you'd miss some of the charm if you haven't played first).
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 16 Feb 2010, 07:20

Mass Effect 2 is definitely an improvement on the first one. I'm in the middle of my second playthrough now.

One problem I noticed is that the hardcore and insanity difficulties are very different compared to the easier ones, because just about every enemy has some kind of protection now, which makes anti-protection abilities like warp, overload and such extremely important, and pure biotics like Samara and Jack situational at best. If you want to beat the game on the hardest difficulties, you're gonna find Miranda pretty damn useful.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 17 Feb 2010, 17:40

ME2 is probably the crappiest game I like. The content is very limited: small areas with almost 0 freedom of exploration, oversimplified arcade-style gameplay, repetitive and linear action, the "good and evil" paths are basically the same, without significant impacts, and so on.
However, the game's universe is engaging, the character are sympathetic, the visual presentation is great, the story is OK, there is a comforting lack of annoying major bugs(!), and it is FUN to play!
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 17 Feb 2010, 18:28

It's fun, but doesn't fit in any particular category. Meaning it's a piss-poor RPG, and likewise shooter, and a dreadful space exploration game. But with a bit of each together, it works.

And of course a lot of both big and small touches that makes it fun, like shooting an enemy with cryo rounds, which makes him freeze to a statue, fall of a ledge and shatter *teeheehee*
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Feb 2010, 23:49

Veldrynus wrote:However, the game's universe is engaging, the character are sympathetic, the visual presentation is great, the story is OK, there is a comforting lack of annoying major bugs(!), and it is FUN to play!
Sorry, but Bioware games no longer get points for a good story, it's official even: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... s-Effect-2

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 06 Mar 2010, 00:37

ME2 is really an exceptional game, the best of its kind. I'm currently on my 3rd playthrough.. :D

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”