Mass Effect

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Apr 2012, 16:48

Ethric wrote:Expecting the 3rd to be better because it's the finale of the series isn't mental gymnastics, you plonker.
No, but giving a pass to the 2nd one because there's a 3rd coming is...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 22 Apr 2012, 21:24

Can't recall how the 2nd one ended, actually. Pretty mediocre then I guess.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 Apr 2012, 13:44

Ethric wrote:Can't recall how the 2nd one ended, actually. Pretty mediocre then I guess.
Oddly enough sequel which could have brought most diverse ending had most similar endings. Then again I probably will speak blasphemy and will play somewhat devil's advocate, but if we take on of most plot wise complex games - planescape, then all true endings were same as well(there was even only one final cinematic). Only way you defeated last boss differed, still no one complained about that.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Apr 2012, 19:11

Ethric wrote:Can't recall how the 2nd one ended, actually. Pretty mediocre then I guess.
Well if you had to tell yourself it's fine because there's a 3d coming with an actual ending that's not surprising...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 23 Apr 2012, 20:07

ThunderTitan wrote:
Well if you had to tell yourself it's fine because there's a 3d coming with an actual ending that's not surprising...
I figured the 3rd ought to be spectacular regardless of how good/not the previous were. Not the same as your assumption.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 27 Apr 2012, 18:32

ThunderTitan wrote:Yeah dude, ME2 had a weak ending too... but at least you could get all your crew killed...
What are you smoking? ME 2 has a fantastic ending with multiple outcomes.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Apr 2012, 05:27

Humakt wrote:What are you smoking? ME 2 has a fantastic ending with multiple outcomes.
A choice of 2 (that doesn't matter in the slightest in the third game), and the ability to get everyone killed... I guess that does award you more for doing everything than in ME3.

In my opinion, the best way to do the ME3 ending would have been to have your different assets actually do something tangible, and shown on screen. Or fail miserably, and shown on screen, if you got some of those negative assets (<spoilers>Rachni queen</spoilers>). Not sure how they could have tied it with the silly Galaxy at War system, though. But even then, I'm not too bothered with the current ending, either.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 May 2012, 18:39

Humakt wrote: What are you smoking? ME 2 has a fantastic ending with multiple outcomes.
The deaths aren't any more part of the ending then the Ash/Kaidan choice was... they just happen closer to the end.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Mass Effect

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 18 Mar 2016, 21:13

I just started an LP of it! Woo! I'm quite excited about that. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... wfFUUbItXR

Meanwhile, I don't know what to think about the upcoming Andromeda. EA has been real terrible so far, and I don't feel like going through games that are DRM'd and not on Linux any more. Yet the ME series is so good... Also, Mako FTW.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 29 Mar 2017, 17:12

ME trilogy was pretty neat. However, looking back into it, I started pondering about our choices, those that made seemingly important differences and impact when you advanced. Most of them would influence the state of characters in the future, those who would live and die for the final push, and their absence would make the real difference. No Wrex, Garrus, Ash, Kaidan, Mordin, Tali, Thane, Jack, Grunt, Legion, Samara, DLC characters; all these characters depended on your choices to survive and play until the end, aiding in your main quest. If they died, those who had a major role would be substituted anyway. So, our choices didn't change things too drastically.

Well, I bought ME:A. In spite the 'technical difficulties', I had fun with the game. Choices, so far, seem a bit blurry. You have 4 moody answers, 1 flirting and 2 agreements. Sometimes, 2 moody answers will appear, sometimes 4. Sometimes 2 moody and 1 flirting. I'm not really sure of the impacts of the moody answers, but the agreement ones seem to have a considerable impacts, if a ME:A2 ever comes. I'm starting a second play to check some differences regarding those key decisions. When I got to the end of the game, I had the impression that some decisions will really impact heavier the story in the next game, not evolving around characters dying, as before, but something else. Which is, I presume, something good. I don't know if we can play the game with fewer characters or have someone die. I believe I got the best final possible, although some taks and small side quests were left unfinished, because I was sort of bored of trying some of them and others were stuck by bugs which didn't allow me to complete them. :)

Face and body language sucks. I'm not really bothered, but it does impact a bit, given characters don't feel alive, and you spend a lot of time talking to people in that game, whilst some animations are strange, looping. AI is lacking, somehow like the previous games, our team mates also keep teleporting around us no matter what, so I sort of don't pay much attention to their positioning. This is an issue they said it's going to be addressed. Bugs and glitches happen every now and then. I had 4 or 5 times something that forced me loading the game again, but nothing dramatic. I think many issues are related to mission triggering mechanisms. :|

The game is very beautiful. Scenery is very detailed, the background is breathtaking, effects are fluid. In that regard, it's very well done. :tsup:

Music is nice, but I haven't really paid attention to it.

Missions are too many. For those who like doing tons of things endlessly, that's ok. However, you'll notice sooner or later that many are really only things like: find certain thing 3 times, scan something 3 times, scan the body 3 times, find the datapad 3 times: these are what they call TASKS, and they are rather annoying because they require you to thoroughly explore and search the map (world maps are rather large), repetitive battles on and on. Given that enemies don't vary much either, it might be a bit boring, but you are not obliged to do them. Still, doing these tasks help making the planet viable for living, and will grant you bonuses and points to that end. :creative:

Conversation is a bit poor and improves with time, so you don't get really interested in anyone in particular at first, everyone feels blank. As the game evolves, you'll start grasping their roots and may eventually sympathize with them. So, characters are kinda lame sometimes, but you get used to them before long. :D

Some mechanics and menu handling and map navigation can be confusing and take a while to adapt. Tutorial is often behind times. :wall:

Animations take too long when you are jumping from planets and exploring the cluster. It's around 15-16 seconds you waste watching the camera turning to your destination, travelling and then zooming in your destination. I hope they fix that. I suppose you'll waste around 2h in the end ONLY with animations just as those. :disagree:

All in all, I recommend the game after some more patching. The rest stands upon personal validation, hard to simply say if one will like or not. :-D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 21 Apr 2017, 17:24

After a couple of weeks, I dis-recommend the game even after patching.

The game requires Bioware and EA have some decency and shame first. After that, it needs love and work. Just after all that, we can produce a small flicker of hope that will dictate if it's still worth following that franchise.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

EdmundBregg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EdmundBregg » 22 May 2017, 11:14

The new Mass Effect Andromeda looks kinda unfinished. Bioware should fix some things and even then I might wait for a sale. I've heard about it, but never tried it. I'm going to play UK slots online with no deposit for free at 777extraslot.com.
Last edited by EdmundBregg on 23 May 2017, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 May 2017, 13:55

That would be advisable, if you really intend on buying the game. I am one who completely regret pre-ordering it, and I was advised too, pre-ordering an EA product; but then I thought, it's Bioware! Well, lesson learned, never pre-ordering AAA titles ever again.

MEA's been put on hiatus as well, so things such as DLCs might take a while. Patches are yet expected to come regularly though. Although every time they patch the game, there's a storm of complaints following suit due new bugs surfacing, sometimes game crashing ones, so you can grasp the overall vibe.

However, there are some people that are really loving the game regardless, playing 5-6 times through it.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Aug 2017, 16:13

And MEA has been officially discontinued. No more patches and DLCs for the game.

I'd call it the fiasco of the decade.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Sep 2020, 02:35

Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered is rumoured to be announced in early October and released in late October! :-D

Although I already own the trilogy separately, I wonder which changes the game might have, besides the already added DLCs and possible adjustments on the game with things that were not meant to be cut in the vanilla back in the day. I do hope they cut the elevator simulator in ME 1! :beg: And let's see the price tag, also. These companies are tagging remastered and released stuff with very greedy values lately.

Meanwhile, ME 5 is underway, but might take a while considering the other two big projects ahead of it, Anthem 2 and Dragon Age 4. They could have ditched Anthem. :D

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”