Battle for Wesnoth

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Battle for Wesnoth

Unread postby asandir » 26 Sep 2007, 04:50

So who plays/played this one? I know it's listed in the freegames thread, but this discussion is specific to the game itself

I should mention that I'm using 1.2.6

I've played thru the A Tale of Two Brothers, The South Guard (though I stopped that when it went underground cause some major performance slumps), Heir to the Throne and now playing the Rise of Wesnoth, also downloaded a couple of other campaigns, the orcs one with Kapou'e and some others .... really enjoying it a bunch
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 26 Sep 2007, 05:32

I've played it. Not so much these days, though.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 26 Sep 2007, 05:38

did you get thru some of the campaigns? what did you think of it?

I love some of my units .... the archmage is a personal favourite at this stage, and some of the level ups for the horseman for the humans are ace too, but I think the elves are my favourite race atm

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 26 Sep 2007, 14:14

For a freeware game it was fantastic. I played it a lot before I got my new PC. I could see myself returning to it.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 26 Sep 2007, 20:46

asandir wrote:did you get thru some of the campaigns? what did you think of it?
Yup. Good enough story, varied gameplay: overall very good standard, especially considered that it's free.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 26 Sep 2007, 22:47

Great game, especially for its price.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Sep 2007, 00:28

...wesnoth...
You know how hard was to create it? I remember reading article about, nothing easy even writing the core and starting a ball...
...price...
If Heroes V went freeware that would be something, I can see tons of newplayers :tonguehands:
(yeah, price is important)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 27 Sep 2007, 00:35

I've played. Good stuff. I've also dabbled in campaign design, but ran out of steam rather quickly.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Sep 2007, 01:50

It's even more impressive when you look at the units and realise how many there really are .... and the upgrade options ....

I was playing one campaign at work and the other at home .... Deordan at work, but even though I have some very advanced units in that game, Mage of Light, couple of Paladins, Lancer, War Knight, Halbadier, Royal Guard, couple of Master Bowmen, an Iron Mauler and a Shock Trooper, an Arch Mage and a Silver Mage .... so a fairly potent stock of troops, and even though my game at home was the elves under Konrad with a less powerful force, it just seems a little more fun, so I sent that to work today and will finish that before going any further in the Deordan campaign

I think I have an Elvish Ranger and a Marksman, a Captain and a Hero, two Outriders and a Elvish Rider, a druid and a sorceress

quite nice

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 28 Sep 2007, 08:37

Best free game ever.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Sep 2007, 23:12

it's the best one I've ever played anyway :)

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 30 Sep 2007, 01:35

One of the best(if not the best) freeware
games i've played.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 04 Oct 2007, 03:57

indeed

I'm playing Heir to the Throne, and now into The Lost General, the biggest problem I have is being scared of losing my levelled units, which I just do not accept, which does require reloading and strategy

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 06 Oct 2007, 17:40

I just started playing this, asandir. Playing through the Rise of Wesnoth campaign right now. Man, it really sucks when I lose one of my carefully leveled up creatures!

Anyways, its enjoyable to play overall.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 07 Oct 2007, 00:14

I hate that so much that I often go back and reassess strategy and try the turn again, sometimes, I'm ashamed to admit, I become a reload whore :)

I must say that as I near the end of the Heir to the Throne, that I am probably getting a little over it, but that might just be cause I've hammered this one campaign out .... who knows

as an aside, almost got myself a Great Mage, looking forward to that, about 10XP away!

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 07 Oct 2007, 03:59

There's no shame in save-loading if you're playing above Easy. Even the devs tell you so. The campaigns (well, HttT anyway) are designed such that on the higher difficulty levels they assume you've played through it once before. The most common strategy advice is, "Go back a few missions and get more level 2 units."

What I need in that game is a level between Easy and Medium. I can wipe the floor with the AI on Easy, but on Medium I just barely win some scenarios - I don't have enough troops and money left to progress in the campaign.

Wesnoth is by far the best freeware game I've played. It's been in development since 2002 or 2003, and it all started with just one guy who was passionate about making a simple fun wargame. I'm not even sure Dave does any work on it anymore. The community has largely taken over. I know it's grown well beyond anything he ever envisioned.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 08 Oct 2007, 04:07

thankfully I am able to suppress my shame fully!

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”