Downloadable games?

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Downloadable games?

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Jun 2007, 17:41

For all my troubles with Dell, I was given a 50 dollar coupon for anything from Dell. I figured I might as well use it to buy a game or something because that's about all they have there that I would want that costs about 50 dollars. I was thinking about Oblivion, but they only have it (and many other games) as a downloadable version. So I was wondering if anyone had ever purchased a game in this format before? I can only imagine how long it must take to download a game like Oblivion - even with a high speed connection. And, once you download it - can you burn it on a DVD or something so that, in the future, if you need to reinstall, you can?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 22 Jun 2007, 03:12

What, nobody has downloaded a game before?? Or are all of you just laughing at me?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 22 Jun 2007, 03:54

Hihihi, yep.

I've never tried any of those download services since the shipping of the package probably will take faster than downloading such a monster as Oblivion. :)

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 22 Jun 2007, 04:34

I have Steam. I got it when I bought Half-Life 2 and Sin Episodes: Emergence. (I didn't actually purchase the games through the service) I did, however, purchase Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition using Steam. Basically you get a virtual receipt that is stored in the database, so if you lose your program or delete it, you can get it back. I really like not to having to bother with cds/dvds to run the games.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 22 Jun 2007, 05:43

but then if it goes bye, bye you have to download it again, as opposed to just reinstalling from cd
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 22 Jun 2007, 12:17

Ah well, I have Steam too, almost forgot about it - for some reason I thought you are talking about something like Direct2Drive and didn't think of old good Steam.

I've bought Half-Life 2 episode 1 and Half-Life Anthology through it, really a sweet system. Everything depends on your internet connection - you don't get any high-speed downloads.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 22 Jun 2007, 13:33

Gameshadow has been pretty useful for downloading patches (and fast).

What comes to Steam, it has annoyed me far more than be useful. Can't even launch Dark Messiah through it.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 22 Jun 2007, 14:05

I bought digital versions of Half Life 2 Silver and Sam and, more recently, Max Episode 1 (I will probably buy the rest of the season eventually). HL was preloaded (during the night mostly) over a couple of days before the actual release, so it went smoothly. I just had to be careful not to bust my bandwith limit (but it happened if I remember correctly). I burnt HL on a DVD, but for S&M I will just redownload the game (around 70 MB) if I lose it.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 22 Jun 2007, 15:44

Well I guess since it's free I have nothing to lose. I wonder how long it will take to download Oblivion?..

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 22 Jun 2007, 16:27

That depends on the actuall speed. Obviously, try, calculate and you will know it instantly.

Like assuming 5GB when speed will be 64kB {512kbps} roughly it will be about 21-22hrs.

I would rely more on good download manager like fdm or wget - which is simple terminal downloader.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 22 Jun 2007, 16:30

The download can be a pain. When I got the Sin episode, it took me about 8 horus on a dial-up connection just to update Steam so I could play it.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Jun 2007, 02:22

argh, thar be dial-up users!

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 25 Jun 2007, 02:29

That was at my parent's house. They are techno-dinosaurs. Actually, I have dial-up in my apartment but only use it when I can't get a wireless signal.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Jun 2007, 02:52

Omega_Destroyer wrote:That was at my parent's house. They are techno-dinosaurs. Actually, I have dial-up in my apartment but only use it when I can't get a wireless signal.
By "can't get a wireless signal" do you meant to say that you usually filch one from your neighbors? :)

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 25 Jun 2007, 02:56

Who me? Never.... :devious:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Jun 2007, 04:41

Corribus wrote:
Omega_Destroyer wrote:That was at my parent's house. They are techno-dinosaurs. Actually, I have dial-up in my apartment but only use it when I can't get a wireless signal.
By "can't get a wireless signal" do you meant to say that you usually filch one from your neighbors? :)
that was my first thought too :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jun 2007, 13:30

Amateurs...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 25 Jun 2007, 13:49

Corribus wrote:By "can't get a wireless signal" do you meant to say that you usually filch one from your neighbors? :)
Says the guy who stole cables at work... :D

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Jun 2007, 14:02

Angelspit wrote:Says the guy who stole cables at work... :D
Borrowed, borrowed!! I've returned them! Well... I mean, I will. Some day. Maybe.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jun 2007, 14:23

Corribus wrote: Borrowed, borrowed!! I've returned them! Well... I mean, I will. Some day. Maybe.
Didn't your family teach you the difference between right and wrong? :tonguehands:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”