Bioshock

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Aug 2007, 15:46

Nice sissy yellow background. :devil:
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 21 Aug 2007, 15:52

Explain why I don't care Titan. :D

Anyways, here's a picture of the Big Daddy I got with the limited edition. It's metal, not plastic, which surprised me.

And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 21 Aug 2007, 15:52

Hey I'm using just the same. Switched here from Haven few weeks ago and not planning to return. This is new Academy feel :devious:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Aug 2007, 16:03

Corribus wrote:Nice sissy yellow background. :devil:
The annoying yellow helps keep me on edge... just consider yourself lucky there's no pink setting, or i'd be making you all weep right now.
Omega_Destroyer wrote:Explain why I don't care Titan. :D
I find your disregard for factual information disturbing.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 21 Aug 2007, 17:20

So far the game is top notch. The atmosphere is truly exceptional. Everything from the deranged splicer comments to the advertising to the water effects is just dripping with polish. I really like how the game uses audio logs to reveal the plot, very much like System Shock 2 did. I'll post more later.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Aug 2007, 17:33

Metroid Prime was like that too, and I liked it in that game.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Chai26
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Chai26 » 21 Aug 2007, 17:58

damn, your lucky od, provide us with more feedback from the game! :-D
Voodoo Child
Some say, he/she sucks the moisture out of ducks.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 21 Aug 2007, 19:12

Omega_Destroyer wrote:And the game is a first person shooter Ethric. They don't tend to be on the lengthy side, so 20 hours is a good amount of play time.
Gee wiz, Omega_Destroyer, you don't say. And now tell us how babies are made, please :tonguehands:

But it does sound like a good game. Any feedback on replayability would be nice. Are there different choices to be made along the way and so on.

Oh, and I gather the story is a big part of it, so maybe be careful with the spoilers in this thread :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 21 Aug 2007, 20:10

I'm not going to spoil the story like someone may have done for me on GameFAQs.

Anyways, I'm not that far into the game. As for enemies, there are all kinds of splicers (genetically altered humans who have completely gone nuts) and the Big Daddies who take an incredible amount of abuse to stop. Usually after stopping one, most of my ammo and health packs are gone. What really sucks is when a stray bullet hits one and they immediately set off to kill you.

As for the weapons, you have your standard FPS fare. A pistol, shotgun, tommy gun, wrench, and grenade launcher. I know there is supposed to be a chemical launcher somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. Each weapon has three different types of ammunition, such as armor piercing, explosive, anti-personal, etc, etc. Explosive and Electrical shotgun shells are great for taking out the Big Daddies.

There's a good amount of hacking in the game which I'm a big fan of. Instead of clicking nodes like in System Shock 2, you have a series of pipes and you have to arrange the pieces to connect the ends. It can be fun and tricky when you are running out of time. It is nice to have three turrets mow down anything that tries to get in your way.

The plasmids are a lot of fun to use. Since I enjoy using guile, I stick with pasmids that are good for getting others to do my dirty work. I have one that causes enemies to attack a target of my choosing, another that sneds securtiy systems after enemies, and the electro-bolt which allows me to disable turrets for reprogramming. It's also nice to be able to electrocute those stupid enough to be standing in water. You also get passive plasmids that effect engineering, combat, and physical skills. For the combat skills I have a damage reduce and a static pulse that emanates when I'm hit in phsyical combat. For physical stuff, I have a plasmid that gives me health every time I successfully hack something and another that allows me to see more clearly. I haven't really noticed anything different with that plasmid, so I may switch it out. For the engineering, I have plasmids that make hacking easier and give me more time to do it. As for other plasmids I've picked up, I have one that allows me to set people on fire, hypnotize Big Daddies into fighting for me, and a few others. Since I can't bring myself to kill an innocent little girl, I am only getting half of the ADAM possible, so my character's growth is a bit limited.

One thing I did notice is that during one of the Big Daddy fights, for about 3 seconds the game did slow down. I'm not sure why, but I thought I should inform you guys. It's only happened once and it was after about 2 hours of playing. Other than that one time, the game runs like a dream.

Other than that small nuisance, the game runs very well. The controls are tight and switching weapons/plasmids is very simple. The atmosphere just keeps getting better and better. My words couldn't really do it justice. So far, I'd call Bioshock the best First Person Shooter I've ever played and I've played; even better than Half-Life 2 and System Shock 2.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Aug 2007, 20:14

@O_D

If you read the Gamespot review, they noted the occasional (sometimes more than occasional) jerkiness as well, with no idea of where it came from.

Would you describe it as a FPS, or more as a FP adventure game?

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 21 Aug 2007, 20:33

Probably a FPS Adventure sums it up well. Ever play System Shock 2? Because for the most part, it plays very much like that game. (And if you haven't played that, try to find a copy. You will not be disappointed._Instead of cyber modules, you have ADAM. You don't, however, have an inventory to worry about. Any food items you pick up you consume automatically. There is a good amount of exploring to be done and it can prove worthwhile when you find hidden plasmids. I almost forgot to mention that you can research enemies like in System Shock 2. Not only do you get an increase in damage when fighting them and tips on what ammo works the best, if you do enough, you may get some extra plasmids. I was able to get a Scrounger plasmid after researching two leather-faced splicers.

It's not a mindless FPS, like Serious Sam or Painkiller. Rarely do you face more than one foe at a time. It's very rare that you fight Splicers and Big Daddies together, seeing as how some splicers think they can take the monsters.

One thing I forgot to mention was the music, which doesn't play all the time, but it fits perfectly when it does. In quite a few areas, you are treated to old-time music pouring out of old radios, similar to the likes of Louis Armstrong and what not. It reminds me of Fallout when it plays.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Aug 2007, 20:36

That's good. I have no stomach for mindless FPS most of the time.

I never played System Shock 2... but I'll check it out if I can find a copy.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Aug 2007, 16:11

"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 25 Aug 2007, 09:18

Wow. Are the game developers of the day so blind that they couldn't see that things like that make people want to do piracy more than ever. And doing piracy is free and rather easy and not many countries have solid (not to mention clear) laws against it.

As a customer I am very annoyed when games have to check for cd/dvd always when launching the game, nowadays I always tend to check for no-cd/dvd crack when I'm starting the game. Steam suscription on Half-Life 2 made for longest and most disturbing install I've ever made (at least props for Steam that I don't have to put DVD on station; instead I have to launch Steam :mad: ).

And the cd-keys, well, they stop being fine the moment they don't work.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Chai26
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Chai26 » 25 Aug 2007, 10:18

i hate always having to put the disc into the disc drive! always need to look for a no cd-patch! :flame: :flame: :flame:
Voodoo Child
Some say, he/she sucks the moisture out of ducks.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 25 Aug 2007, 15:48

Yeah, because taking a few seconds to insert a cd is a real pain.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Aug 2007, 17:44

Corribus wrote:I never played System Shock 2... but I'll check it out if I can find a copy.
Or you may try Sytem Shock (1) :devious:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Sgt_BFG
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Sgt_BFG » 26 Aug 2007, 07:48

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Yeah, because taking a few seconds to insert a cd is a real pain.
But still, it can be frustrating.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Aug 2007, 12:07

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Yeah, because taking a few seconds to insert a cd is a real pain.
I find the ceaseless spinning slowly destroying both drive and cd worse.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 27 Aug 2007, 02:50

Then don't play the game. Simple as that.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”