Starcraft 2!

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
7h30n
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 7h30n » 27 Jul 2010, 17:47

I'm still waiting for my copy to be delivered.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 28 Jul 2010, 00:01

I wanted to buy it, but then it's $107 and I've got other things to do so I guess I'll delay it like I do with these kind of games.

Have fun TT :)
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Jul 2010, 08:16

No one mentioned the B-word... i mean the game ain't even complete yet, and won't be until the 2 expansions come out (no Lurker = blasphemy).

And with all the fuss about Raynor's appearance everyone missed the fact that Mengsk looks crappy compared to his SC1 appearance... no more crazy eyes and awesome beard.

Image Image

He looks way too passive now. NEEDS MORE CRAZY...
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 28 Jul 2010, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 28 Jul 2010, 08:20

He looks nothing like the original Mengsk 8|
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Jul 2010, 08:24

Well his forehead is too straight, but the beard is the worse offender (besides the look in his eyes).

Sure, you can get more detail now, so not looking exactly like they did in SC1 is acceptable, but why take out the most awesome parts of their design?! Stupid. Bring back Raynor's unibrow.

And don't get me started on uninfected Kerrigan... and the voice is nothing like her original one...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Jul 2010, 08:32

Oh man, it's always hilarious when the mainstream media put out articles on videogames: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10773395

The recipe was an instant hit with gamers, spawning three major add-on packs and having a knock-on effect in the real world.
Campaign maps don't count as expansions you limey gits.

Throughout the seven year development period, designers have stuck with the three races - the powerful Protoss equiped with telepathic powers, the insectoid Zerg who can swarm defenders by sheer weight of numbers, and adaptable Terrans who can steal technology from the other two races and modify it to their own ends.
A campaign only mechanic is how you describe the Terrans... ha. And even then it's wrong, you're actually researching the other races and making improvements on your tech based on that.

And some confirmation that it's all WoW's fault:
Speaking to BBC News, Blizzard's director for internatinal operations Michael Ruder, explained why it had waited 12 years to release a follow up.

"Late is a relative term, because we don't consider it late, because our time line is undefined," he said.

"When we started the process of developing StarCraft II, we had aspirations about what we wanted that game to be.

"But in the middle of that process, in 2004, we launched World of Warcraft and that was a little bit surprising to us in terms of how big that became.

"When we launched World of Warcraft we had a few hundred people, now we've got over 4,600 people so that's put quite a bit of a priority into the company in terms of dealing with that success," he added.

7h30n
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 7h30n » 28 Jul 2010, 12:35

BTW There are Lurkers, but only in Single Player :)

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 28 Jul 2010, 14:15

It finally turned up today, and so far it's going pretty well (though my poor laptop is struggling a bit). The battlenet thing is annoying, as my wireless tends to disconnect at random and as petty as it sounds when I finish a mission I want the achievement to prove it!
"Losing isn't learning to be lost, it's learning to know when you're lost"
Idlewild, 'The Modern Way Of Letting Go'

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Jul 2010, 14:13

7h30n wrote:BTW There are Lurkers, but only in Single Player :)
Haven't seen any so far...

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 29 Jul 2010, 22:01

ThunderTitan wrote:Nah, Bioware just has the same character types over and over...
[img]http://forum.gram.pl/upl/forum/2010_30/ ... 200745.jpg[/img]

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Jul 2010, 07:33

Those clichés are pretty common in fantasy anyhow, and some don't even apply (both KotOR and BG have the main character be someone of not so humble origins, even if you're not told from the start).

While WC3 had the same structure as SC1 (human character get corrupted, destroys stuff and helps the Big Bad have some significant victory, then there's an alliance of good guys that use a giant energy attack to kill the Big Bad, corrupted human is left behind to ascend at the end of the expansion after lots of betrayals and facing a new-ish foe).

HenL
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HenL » 02 Aug 2010, 22:48

I'm more of a multiplayer guy when it comes to rts, but I started the campaign and got hooked. Blizzard are master trolls.. I actually ended up getting all the listed achievements(at first it was just for added challenge and exploring the game more, but then OCD kicked in) and it still says 99%. I think brutal could stand to be a little harder, and it sucks that normal is played on such a slow speed(it being default would be fine, but not being able to change it is terrible).

Now, onto the multiplayer.. I only played some of the early beta, will be quite far behind, hehe. Due to the concentration of tournaments and such even at this early stage I will probably just continute playing protoss which I played by far the most in the beta.

I'm guessing lurkers will make a return in the first expansion which is zerg focused.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Aug 2010, 06:57

Actually i'm pretty sure you can change the speed, i remember doing it and my marines getting made faster. Just look in options/gameplay while in a mission.

HenL
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HenL » 03 Aug 2010, 09:16

Ah, thanks. Too bad I didn't know about that before replaying to get the speed run and armory achievements(kind of ashamed of that), would have saved a couple of hours and been more fun. Oddly enough it doesn't work in challenge mode.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Aug 2010, 07:51

BTW, does anyone know how the speeds compare to SC1's speeds?!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Aug 2010, 19:36

And BTW, what Ester Eggs have you guys uncovered?!

SPOILERS:

I admit i missed the Tauren Marine in Zero Hour and the mini-Diablo from The Devil's Playground, but i did find the Murloc Marine from the secret Piercing the Shroud mission (he's on an island right next to the docking bay where you get reinforcements before the Brutalisk, you just have to go up on the rock parts until you can't anymore and you should see it up and to the left)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Aug 2010, 19:12

No one else playing this?!

Anyhow, some guy on the official forums made a very mind blowing discovery: http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/283439149

Damn, this whole "split the story over 3 games" thing is so annoying, now we'll have to wait for the next exp to see what's gonna happen to the Zerg.

HenL
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HenL » 09 Aug 2010, 13:25

Playing some multiplayer. I'm pretty clueless, but I guess I'm doing ok locally at least. I won a Norwegian tournament on saturday, prize was a couple of tshirts!

I actually never played BW, I guess I will before Heart of the Swarm is released.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 11 Aug 2010, 13:49

ThunderTitan wrote:No one else playing this?!
Nothing here. Couldn't care less for Starcraft HD (in multiplayer), nor for story. Yes, I've heard it is done better than in SC1 (which was nice story interrupted by boring war of attrition against huge AI bases, save for those special missions), however Blizzard's 1 game in 3 attitude has turned me off.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Aug 2010, 07:20

No one asked if you bought it... i for one will be waiting for all 3 to be out and the price to go down...
klaymen wrote:Yes, I've heard it is done better than in SC1.
No it's not... the attempt at allowing you more freedom in between missions has made the story feel fragmented and annoying.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”