okey dokey, the translation is being worked on, meanwhile you can read this:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/11/blizz ... monetized/
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jan 2009, 10:16

Oh, now paying for certain stuff i was expecting (see WoW haircuts), but how stupid would they have to be to charge for MP matches... just ask MS's GfWL how that worked out...

Then again i guess the Activision merger is showing it's ugly head... it's not like WoW isn't making them enough money to afford a free b.net.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 13 Jan 2009, 11:27

As a company manager, will you bother yourself hyping a game (SC2), which will in most optimistic number of sales (let's say 1.000.000 copies, but that is unreal number) earn as much money as a few months of running WoW? I think no. So that's why they split SC2 into 3 games ("3 games in 1? Huh? Why don't make it 1 game in 3?" And they did....) and why they want to start earning more money from Bnet.

It is maybe some kind of infection (maybe EA disease?), because Valve did screw all european customers with increased prices (if you live in Europe, you can pay only in € (except British customers who can pay in pounds and got lowered prices), even if your country doesn't use it as official currency, but they added fixed 20% (25%?) VAT for everyone and increased the price, so let's say Call of Duty 4 changed its price from 49.99$ to 49.99€ over night!!! And for example Norwegians, who don't have any VAT on downloaded software have to pay it too....nonsense). There is a large (3301 posts atm) discussion about it on Steam forums where people complain Valve treats them like morons, no one from Valve did bother to explain the situation and the initiator of that topic got banned. How democratic....
-Ahzek Ahriman

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 23 Jan 2009, 23:30

The release date has been altered to 25/09/09...
"Losing isn't learning to be lost, it's learning to know when you're lost"
Idlewild, 'The Modern Way Of Letting Go'

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2009, 16:57

all release dates u see on the internet are guess works by ppl not associated with Blizzard... so they're useless.

@klaymen

Right... that was like 2 words about bnet... (and 1 mil?! RA3 sold more...)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 26 Jan 2009, 17:00

The beta is near, and therefore the final game. I expect it for either summer or autumn.A battle report will be upload soon(at official starcraft II homepage, though now it doesn't work to me. Does anyone have the same problem?Neither firefox nor IE works :|
1.000.000 copies
Super Mario Bros sold 20.000.000 copies if my mind doesn't cheat me.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 26 Jan 2009, 17:58

Storm-giant wrote:Super Mario Bros sold 20.000.000 copies if my mind doesn't cheat me.
but that is not a PC game, is it?

@ TT: oh,sorry, that 1M was too random number. But let's do the maths. WoW has more than 11M people playing (I don't take illegal servers into consideration), paying 12,99€ per month, that is 142,890,000€ per month (it is exactly 11M users, real numbers are higher).

In my country, SC2 will cost approximately 54.74€ (english version only, localised one costs here 34.82 €, so localised versions will earn less money than english version)
http://www.progamingshop.sk/starcraft-2 ... -1228.html

So 2,61M sold copies will earn as much money as one month of WoW, but that income from WoW doesn't include fees for servers housing, Game Master salaries and so on, so it is not exactly 142 millions €/month, but that doesn't change a thing on a fact that SC2 won't earn more money than several months of WoW. There's no way.
-Ahzek Ahriman

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 26 Jan 2009, 21:04

Yup, but it was out in....1985. And I read that it has sold up to 40*10^6 copies 8|
And about if SCII will make money, you aren't counting the battlenet monthly fee(if I'm right you can pay to have more facilities, if you don't pay no problems, though I'm not sure).

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 27 Jan 2009, 02:42

Yes, I didn't take Starcraft's monthly fees into consideration because I wanted to show TT that there is no reason to release a new game which will earn same amount of money as a few months of running WoW (or a few months of doing nothing, if I can say it that way). Of course I didn't even consider SC2 production cost (which is not small, of course), that will mean fairly large cut from the total income, unless you will sell huge amount of copies, what means another point for WoW (from manager's view) and another reason to ask money for using b.net (or for any kind of premium b.net account, let's hope b.net will have basic version free of charge). Blizzard is now another money earning giant.
Btw after Blizz's epic fail with WoW patch 3.0.1., which did totally screw the balance of game (retribution paladins became mega ultra killers and nothing but another retri paladin stood chance against them, omg, did they even bother themselves with something called "testing"?), I am afraid of the balance of SC2.....
-Ahzek Ahriman

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Jan 2009, 10:58

Well, I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that Blizzard doesn't become (too) corrupt and sloppy.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Jan 2009, 21:30

Wii Sports just dethroned Super Mario Bros...

klaymen wrote: So 2,61M sold copies will earn as much money as one month of WoW, but that income from WoW doesn't include fees for servers housing, Game Master salaries and so on, so it is not exactly 142 millions €/month, but that doesn't change a thing on a fact that SC2 won't earn more money than several months of WoW. There's no way.
Dude, SC1 is near 10 mil sold... best selling RTS. S Korea has 50 mil ppl and SC is broadcast on TV over there... lay off the numbers, your point stands anyway, WoW makes money every month while SC only when it's sold...

And yes, WoW makes them a ton of money... which means that they can afford a free b.net and would be stupid to change that because it's what made them... it's just bad marketing... they can afford to be generous.
localised one costs here 34.82 €
Because of cost/tax reductions... you don't know what the profit margin is...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 31 Jan 2009, 09:11

10M copies, okay, but over how many years? And about Korea....it is totally different world, SC is a religion there. And PC games are common. If you say here in Slovakia that you are a PC gamer, people will think that you are a nerd with no life at all. But in Korea a good gamer has respect and stuff like that.
Yes, they can afford free b.net, but they are not Blizzard anymore, they are Activision Blizzard now.
-Ahzek Ahriman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Feb 2009, 15:10

3 million was in the first years and then slowly it went to 10m, which means they still got money out of it even 10 years later... free bnet being a reason why that is...

And what does it matter where they sell all those copies?! They still make money on each sale...

And Blizz said that Activision won't much interfere, and right now i see no signs that it does except rumours... when you have something tangible then we'll talk.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Apr 2009, 07:55

In case anyone missed it: http://www.starcraft2.com/features/terran/terratron.xml

It even has a frikkin' Black Sabbath reference...

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 02 Apr 2009, 15:12

The first Thors are shit comparing with the terratron :devil:
Tipical April fools day :-D

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 06 Apr 2009, 12:42

ThunderTitan wrote: It even has a frikkin' Black Sabbath reference...
hm.. didnt spot it. where ?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Apr 2009, 21:16

MistWeaver wrote: hm.. didnt spot it. where ?
Teh song from IM... that was Sabbath (heavy boots of lead).

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LjbMVXj0F8

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 08 Apr 2009, 12:48

ThunderTitan wrote:
MistWeaver wrote: hm.. didnt spot it. where ?
Teh song from IM... that was Sabbath (heavy boots of lead).

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LjbMVXj0F8
Yeah, I know. I just missed this "heavy boots of lead" caption under screenshot. tnx :)

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 19 Apr 2009, 16:46

There's a new video available here:
http://eu.starcraft2.com/features/battlereports/2.xml
It's a fight between a Terran player and a Zerg one.
"Losing isn't learning to be lost, it's learning to know when you're lost"
Idlewild, 'The Modern Way Of Letting Go'

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Apr 2009, 22:10

I didn't post it here already... ups.

Anyhow, i love how the creep looks now... and the game so looks like it could be release tomorrow... they need to start the beta already.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”