Okami

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Okami

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 23 Apr 2007, 11:06

I like to make a thread of this wonderful Japanese Adventure game that revolves a Sun God in a white wolf appearence.

Frankly, I think EVERYONE who has a PS2 must play this game. :proud: I mean EVERYONE!! 8| 8|

Although the game has some similar elements to a normal RPG type, but the game doesn't focus on hours after hours of battles just to level up those characters (only sufficient enough to take on the final boss). Still, you get some good rewards if you "purposely" get yourself into trouble. Anyway, the game isn't just about that....

The storyline in Okami is richly detailed, and originally created. Your sterotypical RPG story is about a young boy/girl/man/woman who obviously don't know what's going on around him/her when the whole planet of existence suddenly (not to mention unreasonably) threatens by a big bad demon... or something bad, and the world's fate lies on the hands of our hero, which we ALL know the hero is bound to succeed in ridding the baddie from the lands, else there will be "no good story"

Okami is also about a BIG bad demon (or so you think if you didn't play the game) planning to take over the world, but the twist is you're playing as a Sun God: Amaterasu, taking an earthly form of a wolf. You are bought back to the world to slay the 8-head dragon Orochi that has been set loose and terrorizing the peaceful village in Nippon. Alongside with you is Issun, a wandering artist the size of a ladybug. Issun doesn't lend a hand in combat, but always around to guide the usually "spaced out" wolf.

Now this is where the good part comes...

In a normal RPG, the hero would usually depends on a certain artifact as their hope of banishing the evil. But in Okami, being a God means you HAVE the power to control the very fabric of existence, so it's not about hack-and-slash in battles - you have a power called the Celestial Brush, which you draw certain certain symbols to exorcist your demonic foes. Example, drawing a straight line across your enemies will cut them, a bomb to ... well, bomb them. As a god, you can also restore vigor and life to the already currupted world with just a few simple strokes of the brush. The fun part of defeating enemies with a huge arsenal of brush techniques while your foes have absolutely no idea what's hitting them, that's power. :devious:

The graphics are portrayed in beautifully drawn "paper and brush" calligraphy, instead of the usually realistic (but horribly done) 3D graphics. The people and the surroundings were drawn majestically and flawlessly, therefore players are usually encouraged to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery of ancient Nippon, other than those 3D graphics just to impress to players, but then forgets it. Now that's 10/10 Graphics

The sounds and music are also majestically done. Done with an orchestra playing only ancient japanese intruments, all of the soundtracks sound really good. As matter of fact, the game's orignial soundtracks comes in 5 CDs.. 8| Although it's easily downloadable, but here's a few samples:

Soundtrack #1

Soundtrack #2

As for replayability, the game may be pretty straightforward, but the 40 hours + gameplay will carved a wonderful memory ... in the memory card. :D Still, playing the whole epic tale again doesn't sounds bad, as there are some unlockables after the first game.

There. I think I said enough about the game, now go play it. :) To me, I think it'll be a waste to miss this "Divine" game.

[/b]
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 23 Apr 2007, 17:03

Agreed 100%. Has a lot of unique elements, notably the brush system and the cell-shaded graphics as mentioned above. This really is a special game that shouldn't be missed.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”