Gothic II

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
arturchix
Titan
Titan

Gothic II

Unread postby arturchix » 14 Jan 2007, 17:57

Well, it wasn't planned but during my one day trip in Finland I went in a local music and gaming store and bought Gothic II for just 7 Euros. :)

Maybe someone can share with some general tactics how to get easy started, and some other tricks? I figured out that healing and running to tavern to sleep isn't really fun so I'm playing godmode and enjoying the quests, especially the funny dialogues. The graphics hurt the eyes though a little.

How long does it take to finish the main quest in no real hurry?

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 14 Jan 2007, 21:48

Not to long and not to short. If you can survive the bugs, that is.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 14 Jan 2007, 23:30

Great investment. If you really want to enjoy it, you should play Gothic 1 first. It has a much better feeling that way.

Godmode???
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 15 Jan 2007, 04:24

Well, few people recommended to try out Gothic II first, since it is better overall with improved graphics and also has a first person mode. If I will like the game, I might consider buying Gothic I and Gothic III as well. :) I just made it to Chapter 2.

I was having trouble in combat so I switched to godmode not to waste my time for lots of reloadings and sprinting to tavern once the healing tools in my backpack are out. I'll switch it off once I will feel I can handle it.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 15 Jan 2007, 04:34

Gothic I+II are already classics for me.Great RPGs and I believe
every crpg-fun should have them.

I dissagree with God-mode but this is about choises. I found game
prety hard on the beginning but when u will build your char strong
u will feell great satisfaction ;)

I suggest u to play G1 first thought to understand better the story
and meet the charachters from the beggining. The gameplay is little
strange to Gothics so u must w8 few hours to used them, but after that
u will enjoy a great game!

About G3 I don't have opinion because my pc can't handle it :p

Oh, and try to find all pathces for the games, Gothic is too bugie game.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 15 Jan 2007, 17:22

arturchix wrote:Well, few people recommended to try out Gothic II first, since it is better overall with improved graphics and also has a first person
Goddamnit. If you are playing for the graphics in the first place, do not waste your time on Gothic 2 either. There are many games with better visual characteristics. Or, see a movie!
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 15 Jan 2007, 17:39

I'm not playing for the graphics but still it's quite important. In the first place I always put the content of the game and so far, I love it. Does Gothic have a movie as well?
I suggest u to play G1 first thought to understand better the story
and meet the charachters from the beggining. The gameplay is little
strange to Gothics so u must w8 few hours to used them, but after that
u will enjoy a great game!

About G3 I don't have opinion because my pc can't handle it :p

Oh, and try to find all pathces for the games, Gothic is too bugie game.
Well, I read the background story of Gothic I so I know what generally happened before Gothic II. If I will be able to finish it, I'll move on with Gothic I. ;) I'll try to find any patches as well, thanks.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 15 Jan 2007, 19:47

It is not only about the story. You have to experience all of the first game. It is almost like having a martini without vermouth and an olive.

Saturas
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Saturas » 11 Jun 2007, 01:54

Addon "Night Of The Raven" fixes most of the bugs from original but I do not recommend playing NOTR before finishing original. It's much harder and can bring frustration in the begining to inexperienced players.

And arturchix, if you liked the game I strongly recommend you to try out the addon. And don't cheat :)

The story is great and I can never have enough of Gothic. NPC-s that make you feel like a real hero like in no other games, great gameworld, constant advancing through whole game, something that even the great RPG like Oblivion hasn't reached.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 13 Jun 2007, 12:33

Aha! So here is the Gothic 2 topic I thought I saw it somewhere but wondered if that was just my imagination ;| Overlooked it...heh :D

Well as I mentioned in my short living topic. I think Gothic II brings a great addition to the fantasy game genre. The graphics aint that bad, gotta be used to the combat system and it is anyway better than the dice like Morrowind system. I only found 2 bugs until now, if I try to skip the intro scinematics my computer freezes and some places in the game I see the graphics flimmer white and disappears if I take an different approach or after a while.
I find the dialogues great! Feels like a very atmosperic adventure and Im surprised that my character talks! Neither in Fable or Morrowind I heard a single beep from my hero ;|

The enemies are classic and some I have never seen like Bloodflies. I have alredy started to like fighting against the goblins, they are cunning, cute and deadly :devil: Now Im trying to get wolf pelts, 6 of them. Time to hunt!

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 12 Oct 2009, 21:21

Wow, time flies! Anyway, back to the point - after I stopped playing G2 back in 2007, several days ago I decided to give it a new try and this time started with G1. I just beat the game and I'm very impressed - absolutely great RPG. :) I love the Sleeper's temple design - one of the best dungeon designs I've seen in RPG games.

Even though I'm a born power gamer, I was unable to reach 6th circle of magic as I started to learn it very late. In fact, I mastered sword skills first as a mercenary and then joined the water mages to make it to the 4th circle - was quite a deadly warrior mage in the end.

So I'm off to start with Gothic 2 but I'm not going to install Nights of the Raven for the first run. Will it be possible to be both powerful warrior and mage also in G2? Which guilds would you recommend to join and what to avoid? Are there skills that I could skip? In G1 I didn't find acrobatics, pickpocketing and sneaking very useful.

Saturas
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Gothic II

Unread postby Saturas » 16 Dec 2023, 01:16

Time flies when you're having fun!

There's now a remake for G1 planned, with a "coming soon" release date and with the trailer already out for some time.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”