Trading Card Games

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 07 Jan 2007, 04:48

:rofl:

What's Etherlords like? I've never played it myself.
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Chai26
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Chai26 » 07 Jan 2007, 11:33

Etherlords?
Think it as MTG in a PC
i first played etherlords even b4 i even heard of MTG (maybe my bad)
Voodoo Child
Some say, he/she sucks the moisture out of ducks.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 09 Jan 2007, 10:32

I used to play Pokemon quite some and to a high-level, and I retain most of the knowledge. I've since dropped out though because of the sheer number of new cards, how the only way of attracting more players seemed to be printing more and more powerful cares (in the past, a Pokemon's max HP was 120 and now it's gone to 200; in the past a three-energy for 30 damage attack was mediocre, a three-energy for 40 damage attack was average, a three-energy for 50 damage attack was excellent, a three-energy attack for 60 damage was so exceptional that a whole archetype was built around the only Pokemon who could do it. But now three-for-60 is quite common and there're even Pokemon with three-for-70. Crazy.) and most importantly, changing interests. I've not picked up any new trading card game but I've certainly poured a lot of time and attention to games (Heroes, DotA, Guild Wars) as well as studies.

I know the rules to Magic: the Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh as well. Magic's a truly fascinating game with multiple layers of strategies, but there're just way too many cards to look over. Yu-Gi-Oh is in my opinion a broken card game, and the moment one side goes on the defensive he's almost guaranteed to lose if his opponent has control cards. But then I only know a few Yu-Gi-Oh cards :)

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 09 Jan 2007, 10:40

I don't know, I like to try to make jitzu decks. They are mostly defensive in nature, but seek to turn the other players decks against them. Any type of control spell (or creature) is fun :). Also traps and such that make the enemy unable (or unwilling) to attack is great as long as you can do damage also. However, defense decks do usually loose. I've claimed a few small trophys (small tournaments) with the Jitzu decks though. People get flustered when their creatures, mana, spells, and traps are all turned against them (mtg).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 12 Jan 2007, 06:01

I know the rules to Magic: the Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh as well. Magic's a truly fascinating game with multiple layers of strategies, but there're just way too many cards to look over. Yu-Gi-Oh is in my opinion a broken card game, and the moment one side goes on the defensive he's almost guaranteed to lose if his opponent has control cards. But then I only know a few Yu-Gi-Oh cards
haha. And unfortunately you're right. The main problem with Yu-Gi-Oh is that you can "run the table". What I mean with that is you can have one strong monster on the field and your opponent will be virtually powerless to stop it (unless he/she destroys said monster with an effect). Yu-Gi-Oh is the only game to do that (At least in Duel Masters and Magic you can fight back).
I don't know, I like to try to make jitzu decks. They are mostly defensive in nature, but seek to turn the other players decks against them. Any type of control spell (or creature) is fun. Also traps and such that make the enemy unable (or unwilling) to attack is great as long as you can do damage also. However, defense decks do usually loose. I've claimed a few small trophys (small tournaments) with the Jitzu decks though. People get flustered when their creatures, mana, spells, and traps are all turned against them (mtg).
:applause: Congratulations, Mytical! When did you win those tournaments?

I wish I could go to a Duel Masters tournament (my Water deck has suffered one loss ever since I made it, and has had countless victories :D).

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 12 Jan 2007, 07:42

Hmm I forget exactly, 1997? Was forever ago and not a big thing as it was a home town tournament. Think a whole 16 people (including me) was there.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 22 Feb 2007, 23:47

I've only ever played MtG and it was a waste of money....Only bought a starter- and a tournament deck and had only one guy to play against (who only had old cards ((Ice addition))).

I didn't even know that you should only use two or three colors so I used all 5. Even had a card that gave me life when he used multicolored spells (but he didn't have any such cards....)

And the thing about tournaments only accepting the latest series of cards absolutely sucks! Can't get much more obvious that they're after your money....

And Etherlords is great! :) I play it and I want opponents.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 22 Feb 2007, 23:55

And the thing about tournaments only accepting the latest series of cards absolutely sucks! Can't get much more obvious that they're after your money....
I totally agree, Campaigner. It's a shame too (I personally love TCG's).
And Etherlords is great!
I keep hearing that game is pretty good. Maybe I should get it and try it out...:D

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 23 Feb 2007, 09:31

I understand that competetions can only involve one 'series' like "Ursas", "Ice Age" and such and I agree with it. It preserves the theme, and balance is probably only considered in the separate series so mixing cards from different series would probably ruin the balance.
But then there should be tournaments for every serie and not just the latest one. I would feel ripped off if I read an ad for a tournament but my best decks are a series old and therefore not allowed....

About Etherlords....Part 2 has a slightly better system from what I've tried of the original demo but in part 2 you can build your own deck just like in tcg. You get a certain amount of resources and buy herolvl, skills, artifacts and cards. Can get it for a euro these days on ebay (or from any other privateperson).
Last edited by Campaigner on 09 Mar 2007, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 23 Feb 2007, 23:39

I understand that competetions can only involve one 'series' like "Ursas", "Ice Age" and such and I agree with it. It preserves the theme, and balance is probably only considered in the separate series so mixing cards from different series would probably ruin the balance.
But then there should be tournaments for every serie and not just the latest one. I would feel ripped off if I read an ad for a tournament but my best decks are a series old and therefore not allowed....
It is truly terrible...

There are tournaments with no card restrictions for Magic: the Gathering, but very few of them are actually sponsored by Wizards of the Coast.

Thus, if you want to stay competitive in M:tG, you have to invest a lot of money into it...

and where I live, no one else plays it...

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 09 Mar 2007, 06:32

From TCG I play Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic The Gathering, and a little of Duel Masters.
PS. Blue-Eyes White Dragon rules!!! :-D

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”