MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Medieval 2: Total War

Unread postby MistWeaver » 30 Nov 2006, 18:53

So its out. Lets share opinions, Ill start:

Whats good:
- Battle grafics & effects.
- Redone troops recruiting. (now they are "stored" in cities and can be "trained" in one(several) turn(s) )
- Sys. req. (nevertheless nice grafics and thousands of units with different faces) are tolerable.

Whats bad:
- Well.. its not quite Medieval sequel. Its Rome sequel.
- Fights sometimes look odd. Some of the units in subdivision can start "fighting" while being 30 meters from enemy, who can continue to charge bolts in their asses. And you cant do anythining about it.
- Retard global map-units comments

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 13 Dec 2006, 14:41

from worthplaying.com

Medieval II: Total War' Patch Coming Tomorrow

Creative Assembly is finalizing the first patch for its recently released 3D RTS Medieval II: Total War. The update is expected tomorrow, Tuesday December 14, and will include a new charge mechanic, 2 new charges, unit balancing/tweaks, AI optimizations, unpacker for the modders, and the usual bug/crash fixes

fix list here
http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid ... ad&order=0

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 21 Mar 2007, 10:12

Medieval 2: Total War was a pretty nice surprise for me. I was a bit skeptical when buying it, but it has been an amazing game so far..

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 25 Mar 2007, 23:53

I liked how the AI was given some improvements, leasways battlewise. (Rome AI bothered me greatly). It's still slightly odd in campaign, since a free map is far more difficult to make an AI for then the old risk-maps, but still a great improvement over Rome.

Additionally, the variety of units is marvellous, compared to the largely identical tech trees the Catholics got in MTW. I especially like the ship types and the choice in miltia.

The campaign map still is annoying, first of all because of all the micro-management that kicks in late-game, and also due to the Merchants. Personally I hate the merchants. If you put them on a local resource lke tin in England they will be safe, but won't gain any xp or make any money. If you want to make money you have to send them to a distant resource, which takes forever and they are more than likely to be taken out by an enemy merchant.
That leaves... using them to make money by putting enemy merchants out of business, which is, realism speaking, about the most convuluted game-application for merchants ever made.

Besides the merchants, I'd say the game itself is very nice, and certainly a great stride forward aesthetics-wise and units-wise. Yes, I agree there are some glitches and bugs that need to be worked out (some shields actually give negative protection, and some units' stats are misleading in that their attack animations are veery sloow, making them worse), but the overall improvements in recruiting and defense mechanics are very nice. There are some things I missed from MTW, but in general I'd say that (sans the bugs, which are temporary) this game outshines its predecessors by a long shot.
Happy Millenium!

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 18 Aug 2007, 16:27

The expansion pack is coming out pretty soon. I have to admit, some of the new campaigns look really interesting and worth the money.

I'm pumped.

Chai26
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Chai26 » 18 Aug 2007, 17:49

never got the chance to play it yet, gonna play it soon(i hope) loved Rome Total War
Voodoo Child
Some say, he/she sucks the moisture out of ducks.

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 08 Oct 2007, 23:20

Does anybody still play Rome? I booted it up the other day, and I was surprised to see how much fun I had while playing it.

DonMatthew
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DonMatthew » 10 Oct 2010, 02:48

Good:

Graphics and Effects
Weaponry
Fighting style
Character

Bad:

like mistrever said it's not a medieval sequel.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.
medieval sword

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 10 Oct 2010, 09:55

I played this game a fair bit. It's OK, but not spectacular. Major weakness is the AI, which is quite stupid. I believe a good player who's willing to micro everything carefully can wage war on the entire world successfully. Diplomacy doesn't work either - it's way too easy to make people hate you than like you, and in the games I play I simply screw making people like me and wipe everyone out. Unit control in battle is extremely clumsy, although perhaps this was intended as a fog of war effect. Mop-up takes exceedingly long, with units taking forever to walk across the map. In spite of the large number of races, I find most races play similarly, and all my battles are just manoeuvring my calvary and charging ...

It's reasonably fun and all, but it got boring quite quickly.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”