Stronghold

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Stronghold

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 30 Nov 2006, 00:48

Has anyone played this game? I just picked it up today and it looks similar to Heroes.

Szaman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Szaman » 30 Nov 2006, 08:36

I played this game for some time, and enjoyed it a lot. It is not similar to HOMM, since it is a RTS, however, there are many things to like in it. When i think about it, the only thing that I didn't like there, was the size of maps (too small), if it had maps of the size that AoE 1 had and some nice maps for the multiplayer mode, it would have been an ideal game :) It definitely can be addictive, if You like games with the story settled in Middle Ages.... I haven't played it for a while, and probably will not play it for long time, because I don't have time anymore...:(

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 30 Nov 2006, 13:34

Yea, I didn't realize that it was an RTS when I picked it up and it's more like the Ceaser series.

I started playing it on Very Hard(something I rarely do with games) and it took me about 5 tries before getting the right combo of buildings down.

BTOG46
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BTOG46 » 02 Dec 2006, 02:04

Is it Stronghold 1 or 2 you have? Stronghold 2 became even more management biased than the original.

One very good thing about Stronghold is the very easy to use map editor, one of the most user friendly I've seen. :-D
Official Whisky taster and Herald to the Mighty Alderbranch
"The clues are out there.....S.N.A.F.U."
Ubisoft Global Moderator.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 02 Dec 2006, 12:32

ive had stonghold 1 for a long time and i played stronghold 2 at friend's place once, but i must say 3d ruined it. if the 2d of sh1 had been improved so theres no vision problems when buildings are in front of you, it would have been better. also, the beginning movie of sh1 was really great. in sh2 it was just a traditional heroic battle of good vs evil in the intro cutscene.

but some new funny punsihments for people that were added were great.

BTOG46
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BTOG46 » 09 Dec 2006, 01:41

vhilhu wrote:ive had stonghold 1 for a long time and i played stronghold 2 at friend's place once, but i must say 3d ruined it. if the 2d of sh1 had been improved so theres no vision problems when buildings are in front of you, it would have been better. also, the beginning movie of sh1 was really great. in sh2 it was just a traditional heroic battle of good vs evil in the intro cutscene.

but some new funny punsihments for people that were added were great.
QFE I prefered the traditional isometric 2d of Stronghold 1 as well, I think they "Improved" 2 to death.

zuraffo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zuraffo » 09 Dec 2006, 23:43

@Vhilhu & BTOG46

But nowadays every game HAS to be 3D. :devious:

@The Mad Dragon

Stronghold is a realistic Castle Sims. If you are into medieval European Castle you are in for a treat.

BTOG46
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BTOG46 » 15 Dec 2006, 23:02

They could have done worse than go the 3d route that the Settlers series took with the release of Settlers 5, Heritage of kings and the 2 expansions, most players still treat that as a 2d isometric unless they need to rotate the view or zoom in to spot something.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 21 Dec 2006, 13:42

I used to LOVE Stronghold. I guess I was only playing the first one. I got upset with it when I got the "Crusader" update. That one has these little guys that can run up and set your castle on fire. That really SUX! I could never control my little guys well enough to set the OTHER guy's castle on fire! Totaly unfair that they were constantly burning mine down.

Of course, now that I got the box out to see if it was #1 or #2 - there's a sticker on the front for a $3 rebate that expired in 2003. Guess I haven't played that one in a long time.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Jan 2007, 15:00

I've played a lot Stronghold as well, but never tried the expansion or the second edition.

I used to like placing archer on the walls, and having all those responsibilities to care about. Those siege battles reminded me a lot of LotR Helm's Deep battle. :D

The only problem was the Portuguese voices...oh boy, that was bad.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”