Baldur's Gate

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Oct 2007, 15:15

Woah, Nelly, this is insane....

I'm playing with the TUTU now, which allows me to play BG1 with the improved BG2 engine... Man, this stuff rocks.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Oct 2007, 15:49

What'sna whosit, elaborate please? :-D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 15 Oct 2007, 16:13

Kalah is wearing a tutu and thinks it rocks. The less will be said about the issue the better.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Oct 2007, 16:20

EasyTutu - a program that enables me to play BG1 with the better BG2 graphics engine. Works great, but there's a hitch... The voices. Right now, Imoen has the voice of Minsc. ;|
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Oct 2007, 16:48

Angelspit wrote:Kalah is wearing a tutu and thinks it rocks. The less will be said about the issue the better.
Wait - Kalah is actually a titan?
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Oct 2007, 16:55

Kalah wrote:EasyTutu - a program that enables me to play BG1 with the better BG2 graphics engine. Works great, but there's a hitch... The voices. Right now, Imoen has the voice of Minsc. ;|
I'd rather keep the old graphics with the old voices ;)

And BG I is better than II. So there.
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Oct 2007, 17:01

Yeah, the voices thing is too much. Game... off... But without that program, the game is choppy as hell.... maybe I'll just try transferring all DVD data to the HD, but play without the program.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Oct 2007, 18:31

Decided to play BG2 instead, it just plays a lot better. Might try BG1 again later, if I can get it to work without the chopping and freezing.

Also, I'm trying something new: I'm going with a female protagonist :)

Heretic_Cata
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Heretic_Cata » 15 Oct 2007, 18:45

I don't see why anyone would play BG1 when BG2 is out. :P
Maybe it's just me, but having Fireball as the best spell in the game doesn't sound very intresting.
Haven't finished 2 tho. Got bored at chapter 6 - i got a short atention span. :)
"Be who you are and say what you feel - those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Oct 2007, 19:18

Well, the story of BG1 is more interesting than the one in BG2, IMO, but I agree that there is more stuff and more spells and cooler sidequests in BG2. That's why I've been playing it for so long. Still, BG1 is the more challenging (read: difficult) game, and that's why I tried to go back to it now.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Oct 2007, 19:25

I don't see why anyone would want to play such a ridiculously unbalanced game as BG2 when they could be playing the much superior BG1.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Oct 2007, 19:26

Why unbalanced? If you think it's too easy, you can always turn up the difficulty, right? Works for me...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 15 Oct 2007, 19:40

I didn't think BG2 was easy, for one. And that's why I liked the first one better.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Oct 2007, 20:05

Kalah wrote:Why unbalanced? If you think it's too easy, you can always turn up the difficulty, right? Works for me...
Simply because there are heaps and heaps of "cool stuff" that you can (and thus will) get. I just prefer the more low-scale BG1, where Full Plates are rare items, not something you sell in heaps for what you consider to be medium price. What i meant by "unbalanced" is that there are so many magic items and powerful spells is that there is very seldom a sense of real wonder when you do get something, even if it's one of the very top items.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Oct 2007, 20:20

Yeah, I agree with you there. Acquiring large amounts of cash is easy, since you can collect all sorts of items and sell them for big mounds of cash. Also, there are several good items of the same type spread around. Just look at two-handed swords. You've got Lilarcor, the Psionic blade, Warblade+4 etc. etc... It'd be better if some of the weapons only appeared if certain conditions were met - either randomly, or if you fight a certain enemy who only appears on occasion (or if you're a certain type of character).

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 15 Oct 2007, 20:57

Still in the first your characters can die very easily which I really hate. Imbalances with enchanted items/weaponry aside I fail to see what bg 1 has superior. The only reason I would consider is starting from lvl 1 but that's subjective anyway.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 16 Oct 2007, 00:38

here's my thoughts on it, BG1 was a rocking game in all senses of the word .... tough and enjoyable, had the awesome benefit of having level 1 characters, who can be a lot of fun levelling, great story, characters etc .... the benefits of 2 are the expanded options with classes and the like, which would be super cool to have in number 1, items, spells etc

it's tough to compare cause they are both great for some different reasons (as well as having excellent stories and gameplay in common)

it's tough to beat getting your wizard in bg1 to cast magic missile with a few missiles though, or that first fireball .... something that you don't get in bg2

but then you look at the fights in bg2 .... the dragon wizard .... the liches .... it can be pretty insane really

it's really personal preference is what I'm trying to say
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 Oct 2007, 14:38

In these games, it's much harder to make a good and involving story the higher up in levels your characters are. BG I have not this problem at all. BG II starts to get a bit like this, and by mid-Throne of Bhaal is' quite crazy. Now the story is good, as such, but still. It's not all that fun to be godlike in a narrow scenario/storyarch. Maybe it has to do with the more power you have the more you could theoretically do, and the less sense it makes to keep up the one story you are forced onto? But at the start of BG I, your fosterfather dead and you with few friends in the world and not much you actually can do, in the grand scope of things, the story and quests you get makes more sense. Just an hypothesis.
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Oct 2007, 17:31

Josh: "Did you notice how I used "an" there correctly?"
Donna: "I did."
Josh: "You crack me up."
Donna: "You know, there are times when, to put it quite frankly, I hate your breathing guts."
:)

What I like about this game first and foremost is that there are always new things to try. Playing as different classes/alignments, good/evil, male/female...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 Oct 2007, 17:58

Is this a "random quotes"-thread now?
- Duke

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”