Baldur's Gate

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
BTOG46
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BTOG46 » 27 Nov 2006, 03:03

Blackrazor wrote: Planescape Torment is better. IMO, the best PC game, ever :)
I`m in complete agreement there, much as I love Baldur 1&2, Planescape is simply awsome in terms of plot and the gameplay is just great.

I really must make a start on Throne of Baahl though, I`ve been meaning to play it for ages, after that I might even go through the Icewind Dale series again.
Official Whisky taster and Herald to the Mighty Alderbranch
"The clues are out there.....S.N.A.F.U."
Ubisoft Global Moderator.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Nov 2006, 03:16

Hiya BTOG .... I really should get planescape torment .... never played it, not sure why not .... it is single party only though isn't it (as in you control only a single person?)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

BTOG46
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BTOG46 » 27 Nov 2006, 03:52

Well you do have companions, one of which you get right at the start, he`s an annoying little skull that acts as an advisor, but he can help out in other ways too and don`t worry about dying, you`re already dead, that`s the whole point, you wake up on a slab with no memory.
You can get killed but you revive back on the slab with the memories of where you were up to in the game.
I don`t really want to give away any more as that would spoil the great story.
Official Whisky taster and Herald to the Mighty Alderbranch
"The clues are out there.....S.N.A.F.U."
Ubisoft Global Moderator.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Nov 2006, 05:33

Now... how does one kill off the Chromatic demon in the tower? It changes chape continously, and I've tried trapping it in the posion lab but it doesn't seem to be working...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Nov 2006, 06:15

Knowing this can assist - this is what he is weak against in his different forms ....

Red Demon > Ice
Ice Golem > Fire
Shambling Mound > Lightning
Air Elemental > Poison

If this doesn't help then I can give you a bogus way to defeat him too

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Nov 2006, 02:00

Yeah, it didn't seem to do the trick... and I have already tried the "bogus" approach; locking him inside the poison lab with the fumes set to kill... except they don't. There's no message saying the demon is taking any damage, and if I wait a while and try to open the door to see if he's still there... well, he is.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Nov 2006, 02:05

It's been a while since I played that bit, will see what I can find

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Nov 2006, 02:37

Never mind, I managed to beat it. :)

I gathered my warriors in a large room and them gang up on it when it came by. I summoned some small things to keep it preoccupied, and moved in with my boosted fighters. Whenever it started hurting one of my characters badly, I withdrew that character from battle, healed and got back in the game. Eventually I killed it.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Nov 2006, 02:46

That's the way I always do it in a tough battle as well, some fodder can provide some pretty handy breaks, especially with my characters soon being able to cast gate and summon planetar!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Nov 2006, 05:58

Man, now here's another problem... I managed (after much reloading and experimenting) to escape with my life and the pirze from that gambling freak of a Cambion (he cheated... I won but he attacked me anyway), only to find myself in the midst of another battle with several Mind Flayers. They take some three point eight seconds to kill off three of my characters. On the lowest difficulty setting. What to do now...

I might mention that I am playing Shadows of Amn, and I have entered this Watcher's Keep. I read a walkthrough the other day and it looks as if it was supposed to be a Throne of Bhaal area, and so it might not be easy for SoA characters (level wise) to complete this one... is there any way to go back to the city and come back to the Keep later?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Nov 2006, 06:30

Oh Sh!t, I forgot, you only just started SoA didn't you?

If so then get the hell out of Watchers Keep, fast! that place has some crazy freaks that can outright kill you fast without some healthy bonus and spells! even then it's tough, I don't know what I was thinking, I have yet to do watchers keep and I just installed ToB, so will get to it asap, but bear in mind that my guys are pushing level 20 plus, with the gear that goes along with it, Crom Faer, Flail of Ages, Carsomyr and the like

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 28 Nov 2006, 11:45

Gaidal Cain wrote:You do that as well. I think it's been mentioned to you a couple of times, yet you didn't remember it? Norwegians... :rolleyes:
He has a knack for not listening to what he's told. Best way is to beat him across the head wit something as you speak to make sure he pays attention. And if it doesn't work, well, no harm done :D

And you can always do the first couple lvls of Watchers keep early on, for some handy gadgets, then leave it for later when the going gets too tough.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Nov 2006, 16:10

Guess I'd better try to leave it then. But once I reach the top, how do I get off the damn thing? IIRC I was brought there by them temple people...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Nov 2006, 17:22

Got it. :D

Found a forum with some people who had the same problem; starting WK too soon and thus having seriously underdeveloped characters... Note: it shouldn't even be possible to go to the Keep this soon, IMO.

Anyway, from the room with the Demon Wraith (and his slaves) and skeletons lying around: go South, South, West, North. That exits the level. Then just head out of the left portal by the Chromatic Demon's cage, and we're outside the keep. Down a stairway and off to freedom! Yey.

Got a couple of level ups on this trip though... :)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 Nov 2006, 04:03

And some handy items I'd imagine! I may hit up Watchers Keep tonight with my characters and see if I can get thru .... what level id your group at and you are you using at this stage?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Nov 2006, 20:55

I was a level 12 Ranger when entering. Got hold of a couple of great swords.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Nov 2006, 02:47

goddamn! the swords will help ya a bit, but it woulda been some nasty fights!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Nov 2006, 04:44

Yes, I had great difficulties along the way, but then I also had Resurrection and Heal spells. And, of course, I am very good at this. :proudirule:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Nov 2006, 05:28

ahahhahahaa .... yeeessss, I'm sure .... tell that to the mind flayers!

little spoiler ahead, don't read if you don't want to kalah, but it doesn't spoil anything really

that should cover it

though they become more fodder later, if memory serves, at one point in the expansion ToB you fight a Mage/Dragon who really is a challenge, not to mention trying to fight the guy at the end of watchers keep! Man there are some scary monsters down there!!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Nov 2006, 13:02

... that was a spoiler? "Man, there are some scary monsters down there"? That's the best you could do? How about: Yoshimo is a traitor, Imoen your sister and your mama's so big... no, wait, that was the RTW section.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”