Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
NAG
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

UFO: Enemy unknown

Unread postby NAG » 19 Sep 2006, 13:41

From the old..ancient box.

Anyone else played it here? I believe it was the first part of the X-com serie. I loved it. First game ever that I finished...and started over a couple of times :D
Nil volentibus arduum!

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 19 Sep 2006, 13:54

I never played the first one but I played terror from the Deep back in the day... Great game, but quite hard as I recall.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 19 Sep 2006, 14:11

i played the original. to the end. it was great. i tried x-com2:terror from the deep too but it crashed all the time so i gave up.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Sep 2006, 14:44

Played it after getting hooked on TFTD. Didn't like it as much. I'm curious about the new game Aftershock - looking around for reviews.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Sep 2006, 14:58

May point you all to here?

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 19 Sep 2006, 21:13

tis in my top 3 games of all time, a true classic :). Shame terror from the deep was nothing more than a re-skin and apoclypse didn't quite work.

NAG
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NAG » 24 Sep 2006, 12:55

glad to see more remeber this game :)
It was always so frustrating if one of the aliens mind controlled one of the higher levels in your group. But man....it was awesome.
Anybody knows if there are any simulators available so I can play it again? (cause I kind of want to now :D )
Nil volentibus arduum!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Sep 2006, 13:04

Well if you still have it it should work.Mine did.Played it a few months ago.In fact,Im itching to replay it these days :devil:

NAG
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NAG » 24 Sep 2006, 13:09

DaemianLucifer wrote:Well if you still have it it should work.Mine did.Played it a few months ago.In fact,Im itching to replay it these days :devil:
let me put it this way....I -should- still have it *insert shame emoticon*
But last time I tried to install it it didn´t work. Need to check why not.
Nil volentibus arduum!

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 24 Sep 2006, 21:54

I played it maybe a year ago and I didn't need an emulator. It just worked fine, although the animations were little bit fast :).

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Sep 2006, 22:57

Psychobabble wrote:I played it maybe a year ago and I didn't need an emulator. It just worked fine, although the animations were little bit fast :).
Not for me.Works without a single glitch,like it should.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 24 Sep 2006, 23:17

DaemianLucifer wrote:Not for me.Works without a single glitch,like it should.
Did you use dosbox? or a 486? :) Cause those animations (eg. shooting, moving) are linked to CPU speed and unless you have a more modern version of the game than I do, I didn't think there was any way of stopping them going lightning speed.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 24 Sep 2006, 23:27

Here are programs which can slow down your computer. And easiest way how to do it yourself is to run some multimedia in backgroud - video without sound ideally.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Sep 2006, 23:52

Psychobabble wrote: Did you use dosbox? or a 486? :) Cause those animations (eg. shooting, moving) are linked to CPU speed and unless you have a more modern version of the game than I do, I didn't think there was any way of stopping them going lightning speed.
Nope,no emulators whatsoever(and that suprised me a lot).I even had to increase the speed of moving and combat to 7 because it was too slow for me :D As for the version,I have no idea what it is.It is gold edition(dont lnow if there was any previous editions though).

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Sep 2006, 00:05

Here are two version of the game, DOS and Windows.
* In past I remember same problem but when I changed settings for speed of scrolling and moving it went fine but sounds wasn't so good, yep that was the win version. - So I switched to DOS together with VDMSound and it was working perfectly. However I'm nor recalling atm if I had used some patches or not and do you know that here is also x-com 2000 - multiplayer? It's freeware build over both xcoms.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

NAG
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NAG » 25 Sep 2006, 06:40

I tried it again yesterday. I have the original cd. But a bug (some memory allocation if I remember correct) comes up so I can't install the game. Play from disc only shows me the intro....in high speed and without sounds :( Hence my emulator question. And no I don't have an old pc lying around somewhere to install the game onto.
Nil volentibus arduum!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Sep 2006, 13:02

And you have which version, here maybe many solutions lying around & it should work without DOSbox.

And on both ufos I have patches, xcom1fix.exe and ldr_XCOM2.exe

:At last, but not at least (heh) did you tried installation in its native enviroment? Well, with DOS that may be a problem, hence that's why I'm always keeping games archived in theirs installed phase whenever is possible. And... And here are so many other workarounds....
"We made it!"

NAG
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NAG » 26 Sep 2006, 19:40

Pol wrote:And you have which version, here maybe many solutions lying around & it should work without DOSbox.

And on both ufos I have patches, xcom1fix.exe and ldr_XCOM2.exe

:At last, but not at least (heh) did you tried installation in its native enviroment? Well, with DOS that may be a problem, hence that's why I'm always keeping games archived in theirs installed phase whenever is possible. And... And here are so many other workarounds....
version...good question *inserts disk* ah...V1.2 :D
And no I haven´t tried installing it under windows 3.11...don´t have that program anymore. :D

about the patches...what they do?
Nil volentibus arduum!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 17 Oct 2006, 03:40

Just started a new one.Man,raiding a dreadnaught full of snakemen in month two is damn hard!Luckily I researched heavy plasmas first.I think I moved one square every turn.Damn!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Oct 2006, 05:30

NAG wrote:about the patches...what they do?
They adding compatability, exactly allowing you to run the game with sound, proper timing and such details under win. And I meant win like ninetyfive, ninetyeight, ninety and ten and extra powerful ninety.

It's worthy of try, to put the patch names in google in see yourself, maybe... ;) FAQ
"We made it!"

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”