Half life

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Half life

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jul 2006, 11:56

Is this one good or what?One of the very few FPSs that is actually good.Hell,its better than good,its awesome!You expirience the whole game through the eyes of gordon freeman,and that actually makes you feel like you really are in the game.

I prefer one over two,because the second one is too linear(one is linear as well,but its way older,so it can be forgiven),but the story in both is still awesome.And that enigma of a guy in a suit just becomes deeper.

My most dreaded monster is the giant fish in one.I still have the shivers when I have to face it.And it always scares the crap out of me.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 16 Jul 2006, 14:32

Oh Dlucifer, why did you have to mention the giant fish... Not the giant fish... In Half-life II, whenever I had to go into the water, I became paranoid because of that %#$#& giant fish...

Half-Life was the first shooter that had a good AI, in fact, I'm not sure it has been outdone in any other shooter yet. Nowadays programmers rely too much on scripts and leave little time for standart AI programming. Not that HL didn't have scripts, actually it was the first shooter that featured a heavily scripted campaign, but the scripts were reinforcing the AI, not the other way around.. Most people can't tell the difference between scripted AI and good AI but seasoned FPS players easily can..

HL was great fun, especially when the AI did the unexpected.. The first time I saw soldiers, I just ran towards them thinking to myself 'there, I'm saved' when they shouted something like "Contact, fire at will!".. Sheepishly, I turned back if there were monsters coming behind me and realized only too late that I was the monster there :D, and got killed before I could say 'what the'..

There were many moments that you realized you were going through a unique experience.. You know the standart shooter trick, you show your face, they come for you, you take a corner and shoot them down one by one; this unfortunately still works for the majority of the shooters.. I remember how surprised I was when in HL soldiers didn't come, but instead sent a grenade to greet me.. After a moment of initial shock, I could only say "smart" before blowing up :D..

With all the moments one felt like Bruce Willis in Die Hard series, with its AI, level design (which was simply the best then, and one of the best in any game, any genre ever), good graphics, and atmospheric presentation and music, Half Life is in the top five of greatest games in my book. Sadly they don't make that kind of games anymore...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jul 2006, 14:50

In the original i only got to the point where those marines dropped out of helicopters. Couldn't get passed them. Funny thing is that it would probably be simple right now.

Did finish #2, and it's a pretty good game, for a FPS. The Gravity Gun rocks.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Jul 2006, 15:21

ThunderTitan wrote:In the original i only got to the point where those marines dropped out of helicopters. Couldn't get passed them. Funny thing is that it would probably be simple right now.
Funny thing is that its not even the half of the game.Oh,and dont be so sure it would be simple.I replayed it a while ago and it still was quite chalenging.

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 16 Jul 2006, 19:41

Ah yes, Half Life. I haven't played the second one but in the original I think I got about as far as Zen, where I couldn't figure out how to get around on the floating disks in space. That has got to be one of the weirdest levels ever.

Besides the AI in the game, I was pretty impressed by the 'tentacle monster level' in the rocket chamber. It took me forever to realize how the monster's hearing worked and how to get around it. Certainly quite memorable. :D
Happy Millenium!

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 17 Jul 2006, 13:58

Half-life 2 is just excellent and Episode 1 just expands on the greatness. The gravity gun is one of the most entertaining weapons ever created. It's quite fun ripping pipes off a wall and hurling them into a soldier's head. Arguably, I say the Half-Life series is the greatest series ever made, barely beating out juggernauts like Diablo and Might & Magic.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 17 Jul 2006, 14:07

Good games, but once you've played through them once, they're done.
And I've played DOOM alot more then Half-life ^^

p.s. Funny that no one have mentioned CounterStrike yet ^^

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 17 Jul 2006, 14:37

Campaigner wrote: p.s. Funny that no one have mentioned CounterStrike yet ^^
Ok,I will then:During the course of history theres always been the dark side of invention.Someone invents something good,something marvelous,and surelly someone else will soon twist it.Man invents fire,someone decides to invent burning on a stake.Man invents electricity,someone invents an electric chair.Man invents peniciline,someone invents narcotics.Man invents halflife,someone invents counterstrike.Utter crap!

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 17 Jul 2006, 17:42

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Campaigner wrote: p.s. Funny that no one have mentioned CounterStrike yet ^^
Ok,I will then:During the course of history theres always been the dark side of invention.Someone invents something good,something marvelous,and surelly someone else will soon twist it.Man invents fire,someone decides to invent burning on a stake.Man invents electricity,someone invents an electric chair.Man invents peniciline,someone invents narcotics.Man invents halflife,someone invents counterstrike.Utter crap!
Counter-Strike not technically (the C-word), but it's still not as good as Half-Life. Half-Life is the ultimate survival sci-fi action movie... except that it's actually a game and a darn good one, too.

Counter-Strike is just paintballing with bad graphics. This, however, is just my opinion.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 17 Jul 2006, 18:56

Ok,counterstrike by itself is not a bad thing.But the community is.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Jul 2006, 01:21

and this is one game that i never got into, i was too busy playing quake 2 and then moved to UT and never looked back!

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 18 Jul 2006, 14:03

stefan.urlus wrote:and this is one game that i never got into, i was too busy playing quake 2 and then moved to UT and never looked back!
Never thought I would find anybody on this board that appreciates fastpaced games like Quake and UT. Tried Quake IV btw? Haven't done so myself yet. Need a stronger computer first.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Jul 2006, 15:20

Maybe if you started a thread about Quake or Unreal you'd find more.

Q2 was still the best Quake, and UT pwns Q3A. The beggining of Unreal is still the scariest thing I saw in a game.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Jul 2006, 15:35

Ever play System Shock 2 ThunderTitan? Now that's a creepy game. Too bad it won't work on XP. :(

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Jul 2006, 15:54

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Ever play System Shock 2 ThunderTitan?
No. But i wasn't refering to the whole game, but the part in Unreal where you're all alone in a crashed ship, with no weapon at all.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Jul 2006, 16:09

I know what you are referring to. Unreal was great almost to the end, when the plot kinda fell apart.

System Shock 2, after some quick training, starts off with you waking up from statis on a ship that has been taken over by the ship's computer. The first thing you see is a woman running away from a zombie, only to smashed in the head with a pipe. Ammo is extremely scarce and weapons break down, leaving you in a sore shape to fight enemies. Even worse, there are evil psychic monkies. You don't think it would be creepy, but hearing even little monkey sounds and not having a clue where they are coming from can be quite off-setting.

If you ever can get a copy to work on your CPU, I strongly recommend it.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 18 Jul 2006, 16:35

Campaigner wrote: Never thought I would find anybody on this board that appreciates fastpaced games like Quake and UT. Tried Quake IV btw? Haven't done so myself yet. Need a stronger computer first.
You're kidding? I am quite the master of 'faster' shooters like Quake and UT. Especially the latter, as I have also worked for Epic Games in the original UT :D.. My 'expertise' is first in shooters, followed by space sims, and then strategy games.

Normally I'm quite good, that is I've countless times beaten players that call themselves 'very good' with margins like 30-5, 50-9 etc., and I never ever camp or do cheap tricks, I just play.. However sometimes, especially in Instagib *cough*my idea*cough* :proud: matches, I become Death Incarnate, and terrorize the map with insane fpm (frags per minute).. If I hadn't broken it without realizing, my record would be, if I recall correctly, in the original Liandri Core map (I think it was one of Cedric's) where once I simply lost it and made 500 frags in about 16:30 minutes... That is a frag for less than every two seconds; I probably still have a screenshot of it somewhere, 500 frags and 5 or 6 deaths.. Ahh, all that blood and body parts flying around :devious:..

For System Shock, well, I have to admit that SS II was better than Unreal simply because of its atmosphere (which borrowed a lot from the original System Shock, mind you), though Unreal's visuals were clearly much better, or more suited to common taste. It's a matter of choice but If Unreal was half as creepy (and hard) as SSII, this thread would probably be named Unreal instead of Half-Life...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Jul 2006, 16:56

Im guessing you somehow missed this thread.

Btw,is it just me,or is the original UT way better and way faster then its sequels?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Jul 2006, 20:37

DaemianLucifer wrote: Btw,is it just me,or is the original UT way better and way faster then its sequels?
Agreed. Most modern FPS lost something since then.

The thing that i liked is that you weren't in any actual danger in that part of Unreal, and yet it was still scary. Plenty of other FPS games that had scary moments (AvP: marine + motion detector + incoming aliens), but i don't recall another that being scary while you weren't in any danger.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Jul 2006, 03:37

i just loved q2 .... it still ranks as one of my favourite games ever, the amount of time i put into that game to go from noob to experienced player is insane, many nights were 8pm - 4am affairs on the local servers (from uni computers so i could get steady pings of 20 or so)

rocket arena was a great deal of fun, but i became best with the rail gun, i state this now - there has never been a better weapon in an FPS then the rail gun from Quake ][ - period!!!

also loved it's co-op, played with mates for fun when the servers went quiet

as for ut it became my game of choice when i left uni, cause i could fps offline against pretty crafty bots, lately i got ut2004 (well after most people stopped playing it) but still find people in the servers and have at least got to a point where i can hold my own, never played ut2003

love the onslaught mode, but am a ctf freak as well, instagib is always good for a bit of crazy fun

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”