Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jun 2006, 23:39

One of the few 3D RTS's I actualy liked. Too bad the original campaign has so short. But apparently the second expansion will fix that, along with bringing 2 new races: Tau and Necrons. I hope a 3rd one will bring the Dark Eldar and Tyranids.

I also love the WH40k world, don't know why, but to me it's just cool.

Innocence proves nothing...
:devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Re: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War

Unread postby Psychobabble » 12 Jun 2006, 23:58

I love the game, I played it online a bit when it first came out - like you said, the SP campaign was its definite weak point. It was by far the best MP RTS I've played, though, the strat point resource system was pure genius and the races were nicely different, if not completely balanced at times.
ThunderTitan wrote:One of the few 3D RTS's I actualy liked. Too bad the original campaign has so short. But apparently the second expansion will fix that, along with bringing 2 new races: Tau and Necrons. I hope a 3rd one will bring the Dark Eldar and Tyranids.
Wow, i haven't been following the news... those expansions sound great! I was disappointed when winter assault had the IG, which aren't all that different from the Space Marines in fluff and concept (yeah, they're troops are weaker, but they're still just human infantry + tanks, with a bit of arty thrown in). Tau and Necrons would round out the game very nicely, if they can balance it. I wonder if the necrons will phase out in any way? t'would be very interesting. Hope the C'Tan are a relic unit :).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 00:05

Psychobabble wrote:Hope the C'Tan are a relic unit :).
I belive the Nighbringer is the one they're using. Actualy one of the dissapointing things in the game is the lack of other Gods and their units except Khorne for Chaos, and in the 2nd Exp C'Tan for the Necrons.
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 13 Jun 2006, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 13 Jun 2006, 00:13

ThunderTitan wrote: I belive the Destroyer is the one they're using. Actualy one of the dissapointing things in the game is the lack of other Gods and their units except Khorne for Chaos, and in the 2nd Exp C'Tan for the Necrons.
I don't know the fluff well enough, but what else would be vialbe? The Eldar have an in-game pseudo-god in the Avatar, but what would be a god for the marines, IG or orcs? I'm pretty sure there's no tabletop gods for those races (might be wrong) and most of the units in the game seem to have been tabletop ports (now that I say that, is that true of the squiggoth?).

And the destroyer should be cool. Where's info on that expansion, btw? I could ask if there'll be things like monolith and WBB rolls for the necrons, but it's easier for you to link :).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 00:27

I meant using all 4 Chaos Gods, and you can chose between them when playing Chaos to get their special Chaos SM's and demons. It would make Chaos more diverse and different.

And the C'Tan is called the Nighbringer, not Destroyer, my bad. The other ones are the Deceiver and 2 others that i don't think have miniatures or rules yet (the Outsider and Void Dragon i think). Of course Necrons are all the same no matter the C'Tan they serve, so it wouldn't matter so much as it would for Chaos.

Link: http://www.dow-darkcrusade.com/region.php

Oh, and the Orks worship Gork&Mork, the Imperium their Emperor and the gods of the Eldar were all killed by Slaanesh except The Laughing God and Khaine (who just got torn up and made into his Avatars because Khorne wanted him too as a God of War).

Linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:W ... 2C000_gods
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 24 Dec 2006, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 13 Jun 2006, 00:55

Ah, see what you mean with the Chaos. Still, that would almost make each chaos god/faction a separate race, yeah? With different allowed units and god-specific untis? It would hugely add to the learning curve and coding. I think I can understand why they just stuck with one chaos god.
ThunderTitan wrote: And the C'Tan is called the Nighbringer, not Destroyer, my bad. The other ones are the Deceiver and 2 others that i don't think have miniatures or rules yet (the Outsider and Void Dragon i think). Of course Necrons are all the same no matter the C'Tan they serve, so it wouldn't matter so much as it would for Chaos.
Yeah, I thought destroyers were their heavy weapons platforms :). Nightbringer sounds cool, I think the Deceiver is the one which is literally impossible to kill, so nightbringer seems like the way to go :).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 09:19

Psychobabble wrote:Ah, see what you mean with the Chaos. Still, that would almost make each chaos god/faction a separate race, yeah? With different allowed units and god-specific untis? It would hugely add to the learning curve and coding.
Not very different. There are like 1 or 2 god specific units in DoW last time I checked (Khorne Berserkers and the Greater Daemon). And even in the boardgame there aren't more then 4 units for any God. But it would require more effort by the devs.
Psychobabble wrote: Yeah, I thought destroyers were their heavy weapons platforms :). Nightbringer sounds cool, I think the Deceiver is the one which is literally impossible to kill, so nightbringer seems like the way to go :).
No, the Deceiver is actualy the weakest, and has less offensive abilities. And you can only kill a C'Tan by using the Warp, but you can destroy his necrodermis to deprive him of a body to use.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 13 Jun 2006, 09:41

So things like Nurgle and Iron Company aren't determined by gods then, I guess?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 12:05

Psychobabble wrote:So things like Nurgle and Iron Company aren't determined by gods then, I guess?

Isn't Nurgle one of the Gods?! And I was talking about Units and what's in DoW, not special rules from the boardgame.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 17 Jun 2006, 17:18

Anyone wanna take match in DoW:WA? Works perfect over hamachi.

ClownRoyal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ClownRoyal » 21 Jun 2006, 16:17

ThunderTitan wrote:I meant using all 4 Chaos Gods, and you can chose between them when playing Chaos to get their special Chaos SM's and demons. It would make Chaos more diverse and different.

And the C'Tan is called the Nighbringer, not Destroyer, my bad. The other ones are the Deceiver and 2 others that i don't think have miniatures or rules yet (the Outsider and Void Dragon i think). Of course Necrons are all the same no matter the C'Tan they serve, so it wouldn't matter so much as it would for Chaos.

Link: http://www.dow-darkcrusade.com/region.php

Oh, and the Orks worship Gork&Mork, the Imperium their Emperor and the gods of the Eldar were all kille dby Slaanesh except The Laughing God and Khaine (who just got torn up and made into his Avatars because Khorne wanted him too as a God of War).

Linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:W ... 2C000_gods
I believe Ynnead, god of the dead or something, is still "alive". If I remember right from the Eldar codex, she is sleeping for now.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Sep 2006, 17:07

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 27 Sep 2006, 15:17

Now this is an expansion I'm really looking forward to. Winter Assault was ok, but I really didn't care for the campaigns.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Sep 2006, 15:55

Hopefully there's gonna be a third expansion with the Tyranids and Dark Eldar in it.

Damn, i can't wait until Oct 6th... I want to play Necron now.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 27 Sep 2006, 22:01

Yeah, it should be pretty sweet.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Sep 2006, 22:24

I haven't actualy finished the last Winter Assault map because the Necrons were so damn though (and i got bored after the 3rd defeat, especialy since the game worked wonky).

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 27 Sep 2006, 23:53

You need to use the big cannons. It took me a while to figure out that you had to manually shoot them,using the attack button.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Sep 2006, 11:09

Yeah, but you actualy have to hold the fort until you can use them.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 28 Sep 2006, 15:38

I didn't finish Winter Assault either. I got bored with fending off seemingly unlimited amounts of chaos units towards the end. Never even made it to the necron fight.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Sep 2006, 16:13

Your loss... them Monolith are bad @$$.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”