Stories of Blizzard games (may contain H5 spoilers)

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Extrakun
Peasant
Peasant

Stories of Blizzard games (may contain H5 spoilers)

Unread postby Extrakun » 28 May 2006, 06:42

Sigh. Every since Starcraft, why is there a trend of heroine/heroes going from good to bad? Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft 3...

Mod note: This thread was split off from here.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 May 2006, 06:54

Don't get me started on Warcraft 3. It's plot is Starcraft by the numbers. And Brod War = Frozen Throne. But Arthas was a prick from the get go. Kerrigan still pwns his @$$.

And NWN: I saved the whole city from the plague and I can't get them to not hang that idiot Fenthick? After that evil Aribeth was a given.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 May 2006, 18:55

ThunderTitan wrote:Don't get me started on Warcraft 3. It's plot is Starcraft by the numbers. And Brod War = Frozen Throne. But Arthas was a ***** from the get go. Kerrigan still pwns his @$$.

And NWN: I saved the whole city from the plague and I can't get them to not hang that idiot Fenthick? After that evil Aribeth was a given.
Actually,if you read the WC story,youll see that the betrail predates SC(the one titan that became a chaos legion overlord,I forgot his name).As for NWN,it was in a way very nicely done,although not like the SC,of course.Besides,if you finish that subquest for aribeth in second chapter,you find out how deep her motives are(if you become her friend that is).
Metathron wrote:Another thing I'm not sure I quite understand is the knight's unique abilities: what/how many are there and what do they do?

Also, there is a building in the haven castle called training grounds or something to that effect, which I believe enables you to upgrade your troops. There is another similar building available but I haven't figured out its meaning yet. Anyone care to explain?
The speciall of heaven heroes(couterstrike)is tied with the training grounds.It enables you to upgrade units to higher levels(peasnts and conscripts into archers,archers to squires,those into priests,and them into cavaliers).But you have to use the left big button on the city interface.The second building(an upgrade to training grounds)gives you a discount when doing this.

Benediction is esentially a prayer spell that requires no spell points.It boost your troops initiative,morale,attack and defense(it doesnt work on royal griffins when theyre battle diving).The charge is kind of a protection,you cast it on your own unit and whenever someone attacks it,the knight strikes the attacker(pretty weak IMO).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 May 2006, 20:51

DaemianLucifer wrote: Actually,if you read the WC story,youll see that the betrail predates SC(the one titan that became a chaos legion overlord,I forgot his name).
No it doesn't. Sargeras' fall has only talked about in the WC3 manual. He was just a dead demon lord in WC2.

Arthas = Kerrigan; Jaina = Raynor;

In the main game a character gets corrupted by another playable race to the chargrin of it's love interest. In the expansion said corrupted character takes control of the race that corrupted it while defeating all the other races. It's SC & SC:BW.
DaemianLucifer wrote: As for NWN,it was in a way very nicely done,although not like the SC,of course.Besides,if you finish that subquest for aribeth in second chapter,you find out how deep her motives are(if you become her friend that is).
I'm not arguing her motives. I'm arguing not being able to save that idiot Fenthick no matter what. Stupid mob.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 May 2006, 21:14

ThunderTitan wrote: Arthas = Kerrigan; Jaina = Raynor;

In the main game a character gets corrupted by another playable race to the chargrin of it's love interest. In the expansion said corrupted character takes control of the race that corrupted it while defeating all the other races. It's SC & SC:BW.
But you must admit,it is still nicely done.
ThunderTitan wrote: I'm not arguing her motives. I'm arguing not being able to save that idiot Fenthick no matter what. Stupid mob.
Well mobs are pretty stubborn,you know.And dumb.Look at the communism and WWII.Mobs want blood and sacrificial lambs.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 May 2006, 21:57

DaemianLucifer wrote: But you must admit,it is still nicely done.
True. But I might just be lenient cause of H5....

Oh, and I forgot about the end where the big bad invincible boss gets blown to hell by glowing things. Archimond = Overmind.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 May 2006, 22:01

ThunderTitan wrote: Oh, and I forgot about the end where the big bad invincible boss gets blown to hell by glowing things. Archimond = Overmind.
Ooooo keeeey...This one is just hintly similar.Overmind is being killed by a strong siege on a main baise and then by a massive blow from a cruiser enchanted with pure dark templar (psionic) energies.Archimond gets killed while he does the siege and by many small wisps and their magic.Magic isnt psionic.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 May 2006, 22:05

DaemianLucifer wrote:Magic isnt psionic.
Right. Ever heard of WH40k? They don't have magic either. Psionics = SF Magic. Duh...

Big guy goes BOOM because of glowing thingy. My point stands.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 May 2006, 22:09

ThunderTitan wrote: Right. Ever heard of WH40k? They don't have magic either. Psionics = SF Magic. Duh...
Ever heard of D&D?It has both magic and psionic.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 May 2006, 22:37

DaemianLucifer wrote: Ever heard of D&D?It has both magic and psionic.
D&D has everything. Including spaceships.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 28 May 2006, 22:54

@Thunder Titan

If so, let's face it, every fantasy story is similiar. There is the big boss, most of the time some good turn into bad, and there are a lot of desperate, impossible-to-win for the good battles with evil (but usually the good triumph).

World of Warcraft is very vast, has many unique ideas. So is Starcraft World. Blizzard has a load of very interesting ideas. Lately they thought of a nice idea how to use the Dranei in Burning Crusade. They've created a really nice backround for the new race.

I say, they've got a lot of fantasy, and their characters are very memoriable...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Stories of Blizzard games (may contain H5 spoilers)

Unread postby Corribus » 29 May 2006, 03:53

Extrakun wrote:Sigh. Every since Starcraft, why is there a trend of heroine/heroes going from good to bad? Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft 3...

Mod note: This thread was split off from here.
This is nothing new. The "fallen hero" story motif has existed for centuries.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 05:48

dragonn wrote:@Thunder Titan

If so, let's face it, every fantasy story is similiar. There is the big boss, most of the time some good turn into bad, and there are a lot of desperate, impossible-to-win for the good battles with evil (but usually the good triumph).

All stories are similar if you put it that way, but come on. The similarities are way more specific then that.
dragonn wrote: World of Warcraft is very vast, has many unique ideas.
No such thing. Warhammer anyone? (WC = WH, and SC = WH40k). But they're executed pretty well.

And don't even get me started on the whole Dranei = Eredar thing... Sargeras was supposed to be corrupted by the Eredar and their ilk, not the other way around.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 29 May 2006, 13:35

The SC and WC3 stories are similar in their very very basics because... uh... Blizzard did both. It's also quite nice to have similarities in events between two worlds like these.

Apart from that though the actual specifics and particulars are vastly different for each universe. Even the stories relating to Kerrigan/Arthas are radically different.

For H5 to take on a lot of the WC similarities though is a bit weak on the other hand. Still, I feel the story is different enough (and rubbish enough) to not be particularly bothered.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 14:51

innokenti wrote:The SC and WC3 stories are similar in their very very basics because... uh... Blizzard did both.
I just thought it was kinda lazy. But they do know how to sell it to you.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 May 2006, 15:01

ThunderTitan wrote: I just thought it was kinda lazy. But they do know how to sell it to you.
Lazy?Blizzard?!You must be joking!So what if the characters are a bit similar,the stories behind their betrayls are completely different.And the similarity you see between overmind and archimond is such a small one.The only lazines on their part is the balancing in WCIII that doesnt match starcraft.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jun 2006, 13:54

DaemianLucifer wrote:So what if the characters are a bit similar,the stories behind their betrayls are completely different.
And one's a male while the other is female. One becomes a cool scheming uber-bitch, the other just a little bitch. The devil's in the details only when ur comparing who's better. The overall story is a modified version of SC.

And in the Expansion they both replace their master. Same story, different execution.

ClownRoyal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ClownRoyal » 22 Jun 2006, 15:38

I thought it was pretty horrible how the stories in Starcraft and Warcraft 3 matched up so much. It's one thing to have factions and political intrigue, as well as the hero turned villain, but Lich King -> Overmind, Arthas -> Kerrigan, that's a bit too close of a parallel. The Lich King took over Arthas's mind/soul by way of Frostmourne, The Overmind took control of Kerrigan by infestation. In both instances, the "control" had enormous impact on the game and storyline.

I've disliked the story of the Warcraft universe since the beginning of Warcraft 3. It completely lost the atmosphere of the first two games. As for that Eredar screw-up in World of Warcraft: that's one reason I quit. They just changed the backstory of the game to "fix" an oversight. They didn't bother coming up with a new story that actually fit the world, oh no, that would be too much work.

I think the "Draenei" are a stupid addition to the alliance, purely put there to draw Horde players to the Alliance side and to siphon more money out of them. I mean come on, they literally created this race of "untainted" Draenei out of thin air. The Warcraft 2 manual/story describes Draenei as small brown people who were peaceful farmers, not large, light-infused glowing magical beings. Warcraft 3 even showed Draenei as the crazy gnarled looking things already present in WoW. They decided to use the Tauren model, pretty it up a bit, make it blue, and call it a Draenei.

To pre-empt people who will dispute by saying the ones we've seen so far in WC3 and WoW are the "degenerate" or mutated versions: load of crap.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Jun 2006, 15:49

ClownRoyal wrote:I thought it was pretty horrible how the stories in Starcraft and Warcraft 3 matched up so much. It's one thing to have factions and political intrigue, as well as the hero turned villain, but Lich King -> Overmind, Arthas -> Kerrigan, that's a bit too close of a parallel. The Lich King took over Arthas's mind/soul by way of Frostmourne, The Overmind took control of Kerrigan by infestation. In both instances, the "control" had enormous impact on the game and storyline.
Well it is the same people that wrot those storie,so your bound to see similarities.Just like youll see loads of similarities in grimm brothers fairy tales.
ClownRoyal wrote: I've disliked the story of the Warcraft universe since the beginning of Warcraft 3. It completely lost the atmosphere of the first two games. As for that Eredar screw-up in World of Warcraft: that's one reason I quit. They just changed the backstory of the game to "fix" an oversight. They didn't bother coming up with a new story that actually fit the world, oh no, that would be too much work.
M&M had some things like this,right?Yet no one cared.

But dont get me wrong,I dont like WCIII at all.Starting from the chubby graphics to the flashy effects,to the SC ripped factions.But what I do like is the story behind the whole WC series(I havent played WoW,and wont ever play it,so I dont know the story),even though it resembles SC story a lot in the end.It is a clasic to have a good guy turn bad,then turn against his former master(the whole fallen angel turning against god is so deep into humans minds that it is ever present in one form or the other).

ClownRoyal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ClownRoyal » 22 Jun 2006, 15:57

DaemianLucifer wrote:
ClownRoyal wrote:I thought it was pretty horrible how the stories in Starcraft and Warcraft 3 matched up so much. It's one thing to have factions and political intrigue, as well as the hero turned villain, but Lich King -> Overmind, Arthas -> Kerrigan, that's a bit too close of a parallel. The Lich King took over Arthas's mind/soul by way of Frostmourne, The Overmind took control of Kerrigan by infestation. In both instances, the "control" had enormous impact on the game and storyline.
Well it is the same people that wrot those storie,so your bound to see similarities.Just like youll see loads of similarities in grimm brothers fairy tales.
ClownRoyal wrote: I've disliked the story of the Warcraft universe since the beginning of Warcraft 3. It completely lost the atmosphere of the first two games. As for that Eredar screw-up in World of Warcraft: that's one reason I quit. They just changed the backstory of the game to "fix" an oversight. They didn't bother coming up with a new story that actually fit the world, oh no, that would be too much work.
M&M had some things like this,right?Yet no one cared.

But dont get me wrong,I dont like WCIII at all.Starting from the chubby graphics to the flashy effects,to the SC ripped factions.But what I do like is the story behind the whole WC series(I havent played WoW,and wont ever play it,so I dont know the story),even though it resembles SC story a lot in the end.It is a clasic to have a good guy turn bad,then turn against his former master(the whole fallen angel turning against god is so deep into humans minds that it is ever present in one form or the other).
I like the Warcraft storyline, at least pertaining to the Orcs in WC3. I also like the Blood Elves. Humans and undead are kind of boring to me in that part of the story, and the Night Elves never interested me at all. But that's good that you'll never play WoW, if you like the Warcraft story. WoW is slowly destroying it, in my opinion.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”