Anyone for a good FPS?

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 18 May 2007, 22:01

After DOOM III my interest in shooters have been non-existing. You go through the story one or two times on a higher difficultylvl and I got no interest in going online and being abused to death.

WWII games I'm not interested in since I don't want to fight for the allies. Uninstalled brothers in arms when I wasn't even halfway through.

I will play Quake IV, Enemy Territory and Bioshock though. Crysis I'll try when I get a good enough computer to play it. Didn't like FarCry (uninstalled when at the boat) so I don't think I'll like Crysis either.

New Deus Ex you say? Now that's interesting.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 May 2007, 10:58

like Interstate 76
Oh yeah that one and Interstate 82 were terrific and not at least hilarious games. American muscle cars with attatched machine guns and missile batteries gunning down opponents in the open deserts brings back many memories from my first years of gaming :)

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 06 Jun 2007, 09:56

My Top 10:

1. Deus Ex
2. Quake II
3. Aliens vs Predator 2
4. Painkiller
5. Soldier of Fortune
6. Unreal Tournament 2004
7. Half-Life 2
8. Half-Life: Opposing Force
9. Wolfenstein 3D
10. Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Favourite Mod:

Half-Life: Natural Selection
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 13 Nov 2007, 16:36

*Bump*

Anybody play Crysis yet? I wonder if it will run on my laptop.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 13 Nov 2007, 18:21

Well, it will NOT run on ANY laptop. The system specs are INSANE for that matter...

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 15 Nov 2007, 09:28

I think best ever FPS (if you take the time when it appeared into inclusion of rating) is Doom.

You guys have no clue how big it was when it first emerged if you didn't play it around then. Fast paced action, good graphics, great sound effects, nice music and very effective use of lighting and darkness just blew many player's mind. It is the game that started the boom of FPS and for very good reasons.

As a sidenote, I'm a bit disturbed by the lack of the name Max Payne in this thread. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who found those games very enjoyable.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 15 Nov 2007, 16:10

Max Payne was more of a third person shooter.

As to great first person shooters, how many of you have played the Serious Sam series? Now that's some crazy fun.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 15 Nov 2007, 17:25

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Max Payne was more of a third person shooter.

As to great first person shooters, how many of you have played the Serious Sam series? Now that's some crazy fun.
Oeh,Serious Sam is indeed very nice :). Nice humor (those stupid ass oneliners:P). And very strange enemies

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 23 Nov 2007, 18:02

Ow, yesterday i bought Prey. Pretty good one too!

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 25 Nov 2007, 12:39

Humakt wrote:I think best ever FPS (if you take the time when it appeared into inclusion of rating) is Doom.

You guys have no clue how big it was when it first emerged if you didn't play it around then. Fast paced action, good graphics, great sound effects, nice music and very effective use of lighting and darkness just blew many player's mind. It is the game that started the boom of FPS and for very good reasons.
I always felt Wolfenstein 3D was better.
Omega_Destroyer wrote:As to great first person shooters, how many of you have played the Serious Sam series? Now that's some crazy fun.
The first Serious Sam was crazy fun indeed, but the sequel was a great disappointment for me. I'm a Painkiller fan, now. B-)
darknessfood wrote:Ow, yesterday i bought Prey. Pretty good one too!
Prey was cool, it was kind of a mix between Doom and Quake 4. Being a Quake fan myself, I thought Quake 4 was cooler, of course. :D
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 25 Nov 2007, 23:31

No One Lives Forever games are pretty great as well. With nice weapons, humorous adversaries and good and varifying missions.
TheUndeadKing wrote:
Humakt wrote:You guys have no clue how big it was when it first emerged if you didn't play it around then. Fast paced action, good graphics, great sound effects, nice music and very effective use of lighting and darkness just blew many player's mind. It is the game that started the boom of FPS and for very good reasons.
I always felt Wolfenstein 3D was better.
I don't see anything better in Wolfenstein 3D. It was good, sure. But I think "Wolfenstein was better" is coming from somebody who never had chance to enjoy Doom in multiplayer, co-op or other wise. Or played Doom in the dark, alone and with fullscreen. ;)

And I think Serious Sams are only succesful because they tried to mimick another good side of Doom: masses of monsters and the speed. That's prolly another of the reasons why Doom 3 wasn't as good as the originals.
Thundermaps

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 25 Nov 2007, 23:58

Humakt wrote:I don't see anything better in Wolfenstein 3D. It was good, sure. But I think "Wolfenstein was better" is coming from somebody who never had chance to enjoy Doom in multiplayer, co-op or other wise. Or played Doom in the dark, alone and with fullscreen. ;)
I was thinking about the single player mode, of course. I don't recall any multiplayer options in Wolfenstein 3D. And no, Doom wasn't scary at all, not for me at least. Doom's multiplayer was indeed great, I'll give it that. ;)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 26 Nov 2007, 03:40

I still fondly remember LAN sessions of Doom in the Uni labs, awesome stuff

co-op Quake][ was really sweet as well
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 27 Nov 2007, 03:47

asandir wrote:co-op Quake][ was really sweet as well
Oh, yeah, Quake II... pure awesomeness! Cool weapons (esp. the BFG10k - best BFG ever!), fun multiplayer maps, excellent atmosphere and a GREAT soundtrack... definitely a classic!

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Nov 2007, 06:23

indeed, many, many hours were wasted, using the uni network helped, cause I got steady pings below 50 so lag was never an issue .... worked my way from complete newb to fairly good, man that rail gun has yet to be beaten IMO as a normal in-game weapon .... so very very cool
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Nov 2007, 08:10

Ah, Wolfenstein 3D... i remember that i couldn't play that game for more then 10 min without getting sick and having to lay down... :ill: good memories.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 27 Nov 2007, 09:08

Well, if you have a snes and you can find this game, you practicly own Wolfenstein 3d as well :D. Good if you hate goats :)...

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 18 Dec 2007, 00:44

Anyone remember the classic Painkiller!!! Great shooter, kill everything that moves :D

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Dec 2007, 07:16

I tried it but didn't like it. Felt like a second rate Serious Sam. The monsters were cool and all, but the weapons left a lot to be desired.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 18 Dec 2007, 08:43

Omega_Destroyer wrote:I tried it but didn't like it. Felt like a second rate Serious Sam. The monsters were cool and all, but the weapons left a lot to be desired.
Serious Sam feels like a second rate Doom. :D
Thundermaps

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”