Neverwinter Nights News

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Nov 2006, 21:39

Incredible what can dawn on you while you're waiting for the bloody game to boot-up. Anyone else having problems with the intros?! It's all slowed down and shit.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 08 Nov 2006, 21:41

I feel your pain. I recommend turning off all shadows, bloom effects, companion light sources if possible, and getting the patch if you are able. I ran into an error updating, so I have to await the critical rebuild.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Nov 2006, 21:57

No, i already made the game run pretty well, it's the intro cinematic that does that.

Gamespy review: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/neverwinter-ni ... 657p1.html
If you're the kind of person that pines for the sort of dialog-rich, statistically-sprawling computer RPGs that are all but extinct in the modern gaming landscape, then Neverwinter Nights 2 is exactly the kind of game that will get your blood pumping. Don't mind its name -- apart from the DIY ethos encouraged by the packaged toolset, the game has much more in common with Baldur's Gate than it does with the original Neverwinter. The options for character development are staggering, and the game's adherence to the D&D 3.5 Edition ruleset is impressive (as are the liberties that were taken to make certain rules and mechanics fit better in the context of a CRPG).

Your character starts out as a simple orphan from a backwater village, though once the story gets going, you'll find yourself flirting with royalty, foiling inter-planar assassination plots, and ultimately locking horns with foes of nigh-divine proportions. And that's only half the story -- built into the game's intricate dialog system are plenty of moral choices for you to make, many of which radically alter the factions you end up allying with and determine how well regarded you are by those close to you.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 10 Nov 2006, 00:38

Well, my LE order with Walmart still had not arrived today so I canceled it and just went and bought the standard version from the store.

Now I am downloading the 85.6MB patch with my dial up, 10% done. I also need to download the new HOMM5 patch as well as the Dark Messiah patch. Many funfilled download hours await. :)

I guess I'll watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy again while I wait. That and drink some elixirs of the wisdom of Bud. :)

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 10 Nov 2006, 01:07

A new update came out the other day, so you might want to grab it when you are done.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 10 Nov 2006, 03:24

I guess I'll watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy again while I wait. That and drink some elixirs of the wisdom of Bud
good choice, dialup sucks!!!

It's great not having to worry about download times anymore
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Nov 2006, 13:59

Pls, once you get used to it 5 min for 100mb seems to little.

So, anyone care to link to the patch and patch log, or do i have to search for it myself?

Oh, and anyone car to comment on what henchmen are the most interesting?

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 12 Nov 2006, 20:04

The henchmen thing is hard to answer with spoiling the game for you. My core team generally consisted of Elanee, Khelgor, and Nheeska for the majority of the game, due to their versatility.

Now that a few of us have played, what are your impressions? And what character are you using? I beat the game the other day with an Aasimar level 7 Paladin/8 Divine Champion/4 Neverwinter Nine.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Nov 2006, 21:58

I'm a Human Monk atm, and i'm kinda regreting not putting any more points in Str, as he lacks in dmg.

It has a really annoying camera and some bugs, but i guess it's okay.

As for the henchmen, no need to give details, just say which you found most interesting.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 12 Nov 2006, 22:14

Interesting wise, I'd say: Khelgar, Qara, and Sand. I like Khelgar's punch first, ask questions later policy. Qara has some great insults, but I didn't use her that much. Sand is just so arrogant that you can't help but like his character. There's another one I found interesting, but it will definetely spoil the game for you if I explain who they are.

As for the rest, I felt they were good henchmen, but they seemd a bit too generic.

I like the influence system, but I wish it was more like Knights of the Old Republic's 2 system where the characters start swing towards the Exile's alignment.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 12 Nov 2006, 23:34

I am playing a neutral good human generalist wizard. He is now level 8.

I have the dwarven fighter, the tiefling rogue, and the elven druid in my party. The combination is working good so far. I am questing in Neverwinter.

I have experienced no problems with the game. It runs quite smoothly for me. I patched up to 1.2 (the second 1.2 patch) before I started playing.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Nov 2006, 12:49

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: I have experienced no problems with the game. It runs quite smoothly for me. I patched up to 1.2 (the second 1.2 patch) before I started playing.
Great, now i'll have to look 4 the patches. :snore:

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 13 Nov 2006, 15:04

ThunderTitan wrote:
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: I have experienced no problems with the game. It runs quite smoothly for me. I patched up to 1.2 (the second 1.2 patch) before I started playing.
Great, now i'll have to look 4 the patches. :snore:
The patch is pretty big, around 86MB or so from memory.

You will find a link for manual download here if you need to use a download manager, buried somewhere in this thread:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... m=109&sp=0

If you use the above link, put the file you download in your Neverwinter Nights2 folder, but don't unzip it. Then, staying connected to the internet, run the autoupdater and it will update from the file you saved.

But if you have cable or DSL just use the autoupdate function.

Edit: Actually, try this link for a manual download, page 3 of a different thread:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... =109&sp=30

GOW

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Nov 2006, 17:37

10x GOW.

Looks like 30min. Too bad i didn't find it on DC, it would have been so much faster.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Nov 2006, 20:16

. Then, staying connected to the internet, run the autoupdater and it will update from the file you saved.
Apperently you don't need to stay connected to the net. Now if it only didn't take so long.... :snore:

And done. Interesting, if you don't take Elanee (druid elfchick) in ur party to the Skymirror you get 4+1 party memebers instead of 3+1. And you can keep 'em too as long as you don't try to save the game or press Esc.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 14 Nov 2006, 21:23

I don't remember the Skymirror. I notice that you often get to use her badger even if she isn't in your party. Can be helpful in certain encounters that require one on one.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Nov 2006, 21:35

Isn't he badger a summon creature? I belive that most magic users can cast that spell.

A party of 5: ;)

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 14 Nov 2006, 21:45

Elanee's badger is an animal companion.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Nov 2006, 23:19

Which is a modified SC spell. So a mage might be able to summon one too. Then again i'm just guessing.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 14 Nov 2006, 23:28

There is a spell and it is an ability of druids and rangers. It's in the manuel and when you go to make a druid, you pick which animal companion you want. A cleric can also have an animal companion if they pick the animal domain.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”