Disciples III video. Compare graphics, art and other details

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Disciples III video. Compare graphics, art and other details

Unread postby karacha » 16 May 2006, 18:55

Hey guys. If you've ever played Disciples games, look at this new video from E3. (For those who don't know it's another turn-based strategy/RPG hybrid game). 224 MB, 6-minute DiVX AVI video link:

http://www.hardwired.hu/bigdl/3/10/Disc ... tation.avi

What can I say? Looks great so far. Much darker than Heroes, but that's not a surprise. Disciples always had that kind of atmosphere... I was not surprised, but this movie is 6 minutes long and shows the map editor - GREAT STUFF! - I loved it.

Look at the 3D paperdoll! True RPG stats for each hero, where you can put skill points and such... Vitality, Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence etc... To quote Gamespot's preview (click here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/dis ... id=6151270)

Every piece of armor, every accessory, and every weapon will be visibly indicated on the 3D character model for your leaders, and as they level up, you'll be able to improve their stats as you wish.

Also, some of the art that you can see on new "spell cards" is just amazing.

Cretures will now move in battles, HoMM-style.

How do you think these two games will compare?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 May 2006, 19:05

From what I heard the movement won't be HoMM style.

As for comparing to H5:
- they seem to have the "less factions" part down;
- it's also gone all 3D;
- it's being developed by a russian company;
- the design of the demons didn't impress me in this one either;

I'll give you a more informed opinion once I see the video. In 2-3 hours.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 May 2006, 19:32

ThunderTitan wrote: - they seem to have the "less factions" part down;
Oh come on!Five was already at the limit,but three!To few!

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 16 May 2006, 19:49

I like the dark theme of Disciples. Much more serious than cartoon HoMM. Heroes is like Nintendo where Disciples is Resident Evil 2 (when it was brand new).

Gameplay wise I've always considered it mediocre since it's all about leveling up your hero and his stack. You never focus on two or three heroes that way (Sure, may not do it in HoMM either but there it's more viable).

The news looks promising though. Good times for TBS games ahead! :-D

Got 30% of the movie and downloading at 213kb/s. (Had 10/1 connection before and that would have been like 1.2MB/s)

TT: What's your connection speed? Guess that communication infrastructure isn't that well developed in balcan :/

Daemian: The Disciples III devs or Strategyfirst wanted 7 races but that would have taken way too much time. They'll add two in two expansions though (Undead Hordes and Mountain Clans).

Cold Fingers
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Disciples III video. Compare graphics, art and other det

Unread postby Cold Fingers » 16 May 2006, 20:04

karacha wrote:224 MB, 6-minute DiVX AVI video
All i can say is : Ever heard of compression? :|

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 May 2006, 20:08

Mod Note: Thread moved to Hall of Heretics
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 16 May 2006, 20:10

Cold Fingers wrote:
Not my fault, that's how they did it. The resolution is 1024 X 576 @ 1411 kpbs. Looks great if you play it fullscreen.

I was downloading at ~200 kb/sec, so it did not seem that large to me. But if you have a modem, I can feel your pain. Listen, if I find a way to make it smaller, I will upload it somewhere, ok?

Those demons... screenshots don't make it justice. When you see their leader with human bodies growing out of his back... :| 8| .

I hope to see your comments here guys.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 16 May 2006, 20:33

I'll try to download the movie, can't wait to see it!

Disciples is my second favourite TBS game series after Heroes.

There were a lot of comparisons between those two series but I think that Disciples is the best alternative for Heroes.

I wonder how dragons look in the next Disciples instalment, because they were a bit messed up in Disciples II...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 May 2006, 20:34

Campaigner wrote: TT: What's your connection speed? Guess that communication infrastructure isn't that well developed in balcan :/
Most likely 128 kbs. Which translates to 20-30 KB/s real speed.

@DL
SC had how many races again?! At least we'll get 2 more in the Exp, not just half a campaign... :devil:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 May 2006, 20:39

Campaigner wrote:I like the dark theme of Disciples. Much more serious than cartoon HoMM. Heroes is like Nintendo where Disciples is Resident Evil 2 (when it was brand new).
HII was very dark,even though it was cartoonish.It has the best style Ive ever seen in a game.
Campaigner wrote: Gameplay wise I've always considered it mediocre since it's all about leveling up your hero and his stack. You never focus on two or three heroes that way (Sure, may not do it in HoMM either but there it's more viable).
Except for HIV,it was always about leveling up just one hero.In desciples you could at least level up your creatures as well,so its more diverse then heroes(except HIV),in a way.The only thing that bothered me is the lack of movement.

Cold Fingers
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cold Fingers » 16 May 2006, 21:24

karacha wrote:
Cold Fingers wrote:
Not my fault, that's how they did it. The resolution is 1024 X 576 @ 1411 kpbs. Looks great if you play it fullscreen.

I was downloading at ~200 kb/sec, so it did not seem that large to me. But if you have a modem, I can feel your pain. Listen, if I find a way to make it smaller, I will upload it somewhere, ok?

Those demons... screenshots don't make it justice. When you see their leader with human bodies growing out of his back... :| 8| .

I hope to see your comments here guys.
You got me wrong, i was referring to guys who made the demo :)
Size is not really that much of a problem i ve got bout 110-120 kb/s dl speed, it just plain dumb that 6 minute video can fill one third of CD.

@ThunderTitan
128 kbps would be about 12-15 kb/s

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 May 2006, 21:30

ThunderTitan wrote: SC had how many races again?! At least we'll get 2 more in the Exp, not just half a campaign... :devil:
Starcraft went out,what,some 10 years ago?Besides,when you make a sequel,you dont kill of a whole race without an explanation(HIV did that,but the explanation was excelent).
Cold Fingers wrote:You got me wrong, i was referring to guys who made the demo :)
Size is not really that much of a problem i ve got bout 110-120 kb/s dl speed, it just plain dumb that 6 minute video can fill one third of CD.
Its DVD compression.About 50 MB for each minute.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 16 May 2006, 21:31

Watched it now and it's obvious that they adhere to fans of the series with the information instead of nice pictures but no info like the first Heroes V pictures were.

Mapeditor seems to be finished (unlike some other game) and the hero stats screen looks good too.

It looks promising. Will certainly try the demo.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 May 2006, 21:40

DaemianLucifer wrote: Starcraft went out,what, some 10 years ago? Besides,when you make a sequel, you dont kill of a whole race without an explanation (HIV did that,but the explanation was excelent).
Ahem... Mortis got her revenge on dear ol' Gallean, so she's probably chilling a bit with the whole undead army thingy, and the dwarves lost two kings in a very short while, barely survived Ragnarok, and had elf problems. They'll both be back in the expansion. Hopefully with a vengeance.

I don't like having only 3 races either, but it will have to do.

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 16 May 2006, 21:45

Campaigner wrote:Watched it now and it's obvious that they adhere to fans of the series with the information instead of nice pictures but no info like the first Heroes V pictures were.

Mapeditor seems to be finished (unlike some other game) and the hero stats screen looks good too.

It looks promising. Will certainly try the demo.
Glad you liked it. I always liked Disciples. Sure, the combat was more... static... which had its charms, but creatures are going to move this time. I don't know if it's going to be just like HoMM, but they are definitely going to be mobile.

I also liked the editor very much. It will be possible to make scenarios and full campaigns in it; also, that paperdoll with stats and items you can actually see on your hero was very nice.

Expansion pack will have Horde (Undead) and the Clan (Dwarves). Heroes will also cast magic from those cards in combat this time.

And the art on those cards really impressed me. They have some famous artist (forgot the name, sorry) doing that. 100% hand drawn! B-)
Last edited by karacha on 16 May 2006, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 May 2006, 21:45

ThunderTitan wrote: I don't like having only 3 races either, but it will have to do.
No it wont!Its exactly because of that attitude that we have big squares in HV,small BFs,no flaging,no descriptions,and sev. other probs! :disagree:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 May 2006, 22:03

DaemianLucifer wrote: No it wont!Its exactly because of that attitude that we have big squares in HV,small BFs,no flaging,no descriptions,and sev. other probs! :disagree:
Nope. Races can be added, and they promised that they would be. It also makes sense story wise. They actualy have good excuses for the lack of the other races.

The ART: It was better in Disciples I and Disciples II. Not bad, just not as good. I do hate the way the Demons look. The ones in the previous games actualy looked evil, as opposed to mindless and brutish, as they do now.

I still dislike 3D in strategy games. It never looks good enough, and there are no real advantages to it either. But it's better than in H5 IMHO.

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 16 May 2006, 22:09

Hey guys, I just realized that Richard Therrien, one of the creators, is posting on the Discpiples III forum almost regularly. He also seems to be very open about this game, will answer questions, will even listen to some suggestions. The forum is located here:

http://www.strategyfirst.com/forum/cgi/ ... forum;f=48

I already asked about copy protection there. If they plan to use SF, thanks - but no thanks. Any other protection will do.

You can also read an interview with Richard here

http://www.level7.nu/texter/read.php?id=95032

Summary:

7 races are planned at this time. Although they will not all be playable from the first installment, they will still be represented and participate in the first storyline. They will eventually be added as playable races.

The mood will remain foreboding and somewhat dark, especially when in relation to the 'evil' races. Battles will remain fast by not oversizing the battlefield while there will be many more options to units so that they are not as unidimentional as they used to be. Some units will also have much more detailed profiles and the player will have more control over their evolution, making them even more 'unique' and close to the player.

Originally they planned the release for Fall 2006 I think, but Richard then suggests it might be 2007. When people in forum asked him about this, he answered:

"Depends on how much quality AND polish you want. Poll anyone?"

I can tell you this - this game might be great, or perhaps it will suck hard. But you have to respect these developers that will talk to you, and listen to their fans. I respect that. :yes:

Also, here's a picture (concept art) Richard posted as a teaser on the forum. It was only temporary, but I have it on my hard drive. Don't think you can find it anywhere else:

Don't know who the artist is, but he certainly earned every penny. :-D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 May 2006, 22:53

I wonder who the other 2 races will be?!

Greenskins? Barbarians? Merpeople? Lizards? Hope they don't pull some DE crap on us. You want to have 5 diferent elf factions, make sure all the other races also have more then 1-2 factions.

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 16 May 2006, 23:53

ThunderTitan wrote:I wonder who the other 2 races will be?!

Greenskins? Barbarians? Merpeople? Lizards? Hope they don't pull some DE crap on us. You want to have 5 diferent elf factions, make sure all the other races also have more then 1-2 factions.
My guess is this: they will first go with Undead and Dwarves, and then Wood Elves (noble elves will be playable from start) and Greenskins. So many people requested greenskins, and I'd like to see them too, except if they come up with a new race.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”