Miracle Warriors

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Troller
Big Nose
Big Nose

Miracle Warriors

Unread postby Troller » 31 Mar 2017, 09:41

So I just went on a nostalgia binge and played thru Miracle warriors on my old Sega master system.
I love this game – It is both casual and brutally hardcore. You start out so weak that even though you don't do anything wrong you might be killed before reaching the first town.
On the other hand the equipment is simple it is only weapon, shield and armor and with only two or three tiers i.e. knife->sword->legendary weapon.

The music is great and the artwork creates an atmosphere where I conjure tales of adventure in my mind.
It is an open world though entering some areas will get you killed. There are a few quests but no help, no quest log but it is simple enough that you don't need it. The only thing is that there is no map you get a small 5x5 grid of your current surroundings so you have to rely on an external map.

This play thru was actually the first time I beat the game :D

Have any of you tried Miracle Warriors or do you have your own old favorite nostalgia game besides might and magic?
Wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_W ... _Dark_Lord
RPG classic shrine: http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/sms/mira ... ndex.shtml

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Re: Miracle Warriors

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 06 Apr 2017, 17:41

My biggest problem with the game was trying to figure which town was actually "Medi's Town" so I could follow the directions to the hidden monuments. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 06 Apr 2017, 17:42

It was also one of the first games where I learned to exploit -- using a Sacred Nut when you had your max of 9 would allow you to get 3 more for a total of 11. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Troller
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby Troller » 07 Apr 2017, 08:54

Bandobras Took wrote:It was also one of the first games where I learned to exploit -- using a Sacred Nut when you had your max of 9 would allow you to get 3 more for a total of 11. :)
Yeah the same way you could get 24 herbs.
I used to sit on the floor with the map that was included with the game and place pins where there was something interesting... And then plan where to go next from what looked interesting on the map... Ahh the good old times ;-)

And the dungeons where scarry especially in the beginning...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Apr 2017, 13:05

Today we take maps and quest logs for granted, while back in the days everything had to be done on paper. The amount of paperwork I had to put together for my Ultima games was crazy. But somehow it felt good to look away from the screen for a while, if only to write down some notes or clean up that map of a dungeon a little. And by the time I finished a game, I really felt like I accomplished something. It was hard work, but it felt better than following a walkthrough on Youtube! The kids these days have it so easy. :)
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 07 Apr 2017, 13:25

Try playing Battle Brothers and see if you find it easy. :) ;)
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

Troller
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby Troller » 19 Apr 2017, 07:27

Angelspit wrote:Today we take maps and quest logs for granted, while back in the days everything had to be done on paper. The amount of paperwork I had to put together for my Ultima games was crazy. But somehow it felt good to look away from the screen for a while, if only to write down some notes or clean up that map of a dungeon a little. And by the time I finished a game, I really felt like I accomplished something. It was hard work, but it felt better than following a walkthrough on Youtube! The kids these days have it so easy. :)
True, but I don't even think I would give a game without those quality of life features a chance today...
I think that walkthroughs are terrible, it makes games feel flat and more like following a recipe than having fun! But they are there and you know you are missing secrets or there is a more optimal way to play so it is so hard not just to take a small peak and find out that you just missed getting the ultimate sword in the game or that the skill you just invested in is useless in the long run... Aargh but that is also poor game design...

Troller
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby Troller » 24 May 2017, 07:21

I just tried Dragon Quest I and it was great.
  • No choices where the consequences are impossible to predict.
    No secrets where I have to search all the walls in every dungeon to find.
    No complex skill system where I chose wrong twenty levels ago.
    No map – this was both good and bad.
    No I'm a simple peasant that picks a sword to defend my farm.
All in all I had a lot of fun :-)

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”