BattleLord - how some things should have been done in HoMM-V

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 23 Jun 2006, 11:25

Hmm, i don't know!

battle banner, the windmill.... those look very Heroes like!
And personally i'm not that RTS fan anymore, the only genre i can stand real time yet are some RPG's!

And do you find the graphics that outrageous?
Especially the creature models in battle don't look too good to me.... it is sometimes STILL a pleasure for me to zoom towards my Heroes creatures only adoring their appearance.... but those Battle Lords creatures look ok but a little bit generic!
And some of the textures are too blurry for a 2007 game, IF it has to be 3D graphics then please good ones... or switch back to 2D (of course a good one too :-D)!

Gameplaywise hard to tell, maybe it will contain some game mechanics and features superior to H5 though don't believe it..... but being surprised is always a good thing!

But one thing mentioned in the gamespot article:

quote: " ....treasure chests directly on the battlefield, which yield treasure if you manage to open them before the battle ends. Most turn-based combat systems reward you for holding your troops back and waiting for your enemies to come to you, and the treasure system is designed to encourage people to be a bit more aggressive in the turn-based combat system."

THAT'S really something longing to have in Heroes 6
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

Indral
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Indral » 23 Jun 2006, 12:48

DaemianLucifer wrote: Really?So it wasnt HIV that I played all this years?Interesting...HIII lost its thrill?Oh,its good to know,since I just got the urge to play it,but now I wont,because the thrill is gone.
so you do post senseless posts, after all.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 23 Jun 2006, 14:11

Enough of that. if you want to argue over H3 vs H4 do it here.

And calling other's posting for senseless and leave it at that is certainly senseless.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 23 Jun 2006, 22:35

I don't understand why making such a fuss about it.
In my opinion, its a very obvious heroes rip-off. It has nice menues and good adventure-screen graphics (really not sure that its better than HV's though) but the battlefield and the creatures' models look very mediocre and outdated (and I bet its much more dense and crowded than HV's - yet some people here complain about HV's Battlefield and praise this one's). Reading BattleLord's description, I understand there is much less depth in the game as well (though time will tell).
Kind of funny that some people say "Thats how Heroes 5 should have looked like" when they actually know nothing about the game except seeing a few nice pics.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 23 Jun 2006, 22:55

Perhaps they like what they see in the pics compared to similar parts of H5...
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Jun 2006, 23:02

Metal Wolf wrote: Kind of funny that some people say "Thats how Heroes 5 should have looked like" when they actually know nothing about the game except seeing a few nice pics.
Notice the bolded part? Screens are usualy good in tellng you how a game looks like. How it plays can be determined later.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 23 Jun 2006, 23:10

Well, HV has many bugs and some say its not original enough but its hard to believe that graphics is a negative side of HV... some may say its not enough "HEROES" but surely its very detailed, accurate and overall very good-looking - unlike the batllefield of Battle Lord, IMO.

And all I'm saying is that some people (and its really doesnt matter who)declaring that "thats how HV should have looked like" seems a bit odd to me.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Jun 2006, 23:25

Metal Wolf wrote:its hard to believe that graphics is a negative side of HV...
Don't get me started... tastes differ about that one too. Damn Blizzard.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 23 Jun 2006, 23:53

get you started?
hm....
:disagree:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jun 2006, 07:09

HV has a dumb WCIII style of graphics.Sure,it looks flashy and shiny,but it also looks chubby and to shiny.Not to mention the look of the gargoyle :disagree:

Indral
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Indral » 24 Jun 2006, 07:40

DaemianLucifer wrote:HV has a dumb WCIII style of graphics.Sure,it looks flashy and shiny,but it also looks chubby and to shiny.Not to mention the look of the gargoyle :disagree:
for once, i totally agree with you. when i first got to the menu, and saw that fighting animation - i thought of the horrid WCIII.

i would be interested, however, where they got the idea to make the gargoyle look like this.. a hardly-flying-2-page-stone-book. :ill:

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 24 Jun 2006, 11:09

I simply adore HV's graphics... imo it creates the fantastic atmosphere form H2 - a critical aspect which H3-4 didnt have - it does resemble WCIII's looks but I dont think thats bad - its definately HEROES for me...

However, about the gargoyle - I totally agree - HV's version of the gargoyle is the ugliest in the series... its awful! So I guess Nival wanted it to look more as a mechanical and not as a "living" creature - H3's version with a little tweak could have done the job.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jun 2006, 11:33

Metal Wolf wrote:I simply adore HV's graphics... imo it creates the fantastic atmosphere form H2 - a critical aspect which H3-4 didnt have - it does resemble WCIII's looks but I dont think thats bad - its definately HEROES for me...
Similar to HII?Check the evolution polls then.It has nothing similar to HII.HIII resembled HII,but with a bit more lighter theme.HV slightly resembles HIII,but with much more flashy theme.

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 24 Jun 2006, 11:57

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Similar to HII?Check the evolution polls then.It has nothing similar to HII.HIII resembled HII,but with a bit more lighter theme.HV slightly resembles HIII,but with much more flashy theme.
What? Check the evolution polls? I dont need any evolution polls, I've played every game of the series (including King's Bounty and with an emphasis on H2) for more than just a few months or whatever, I know exactly how every title of Heroes looks like.
Similarity depends much on a personal view/reasoning, and even more so when speaking on ATMOSPHERE - and I am not the only one saying that H5 reminds him of H2 (though it wouldnt matter even if it was the case).
And speaking of similarity, many would say that H3 had a DARKER theme than H2 (and not the contrary as you've said) - what only proves the notion that every one has a different opinion about, again - atmosphere and feel - of every game.
So dont you tell me what's similar and whats not, cause its a matter of opinion and there are no facts when discussing similarity.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Jun 2006, 12:47

Metal Wolf wrote:I simply adore HV's graphics... imo it creates the fantastic atmosphere form H2 - a critical aspect which H3-4 didnt have - it does resemble WCIII's looks but I dont think thats bad - its definately HEROES for me...
One mans meat...

Frankly, while they tried to make it more "cartoony" it's a different style then the H2 one, and just because it's shiny and flashy doesn't mean it's the same.

And in WC3 what i didn't like is the graphics engine, the creature art wasn't that bad (well some creatures were). With H5 i disliked the creature art even back when it was just artwork.

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 24 Jun 2006, 13:05

ThunderTitan wrote: Frankly, while they tried to make it more "cartoony" it's a different style then the H2 one, and just because it's shiny and flashy doesn't mean it's the same.
Well, In my opinion there is a cartoonish feel in H5 (and thats one of the main reasons it reminds me of H2), I could just enjoy the view while traveling across the adventure map in H2, as I can now in H5 (surprisingly H4's adventure map was really nice as well - and I say surprisingly cause I didnt Like H4). Some humor regarding creature's designs from H2 is back in H5 too, for example-
H2 had the vampire with its famus "Meehhh!" shout while attacking, or the Dwarf dropping his axe theatrically when falling down...
H5 has the gremlin dropping his weapon on his forehead while dying or the skeleton with his throbbing jaw...
Some may call it nostalgia but for me its part of the magic that Heroes is all about...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Jun 2006, 13:16

Metal Wolf wrote: Well, In my opinion there is a cartoonish feel in H5 (and thats one of the main reasons it reminds me of H2),

Like I said, i don't disagree about the cartoony part, I just don't like the style, which is different then H2, but maybe closer to it then H3 and 4.

Metal Wolf wrote: H2 had the vampire with its famus "Meehhh!" shout while attacking, or the Dwarf dropping his axe theatrically when falling down...
H5 has the gremlin dropping his weapon on his forehead while dying or the skeleton with his throbbing jaw...
Those are nice touches, and i enjoy them in spite of the graphics. Death animations are mostly done well. Wish they would have paid as much attentions to other details.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jun 2006, 15:18

Metal Wolf wrote:Well, In my opinion there is a cartoonish feel in H5 (and thats one of the main reasons it reminds me of H2), I could just enjoy the view while traveling across the adventure map in H2, as I can now in H5 (surprisingly H4's adventure map was really nice as well - and I say surprisingly cause I didnt Like H4). Some humor regarding creature's designs from H2 is back in H5 too, for example-
H2 had the vampire with its famus "Meehhh!" shout while attacking, or the Dwarf dropping his axe theatrically when falling down...
Some may call it nostalgia but for me its part of the magic that Heroes is all about...
There are different kinds of cartoony.Theres serious and dark cartoony(HII),and theres flashy and glowy cartony(HV).About the death animations,I already said once that those things are almost the only thing I like about the creatures.Extremly nice.Especially the undead and colossi/titan.

And dont you mean the vampires going "Bleh!" :devil:

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 24 Jun 2006, 15:47

DaemianLucifer wrote: There are different kinds of cartoony.Theres serious and dark cartoony(HII),and theres flashy and glowy cartony(HV).
Serious and dark cartoony in HII? Tell me please, have you ever played this game at all? Because I dont recall any "dark cartoony" from that title. Whats exactly dark over there? Is it the joyful elf? or maybe the bright-red phoenix? or is it the chubby boar? What about the Djinn, he was "very dark and serious" indeed. I wont even start talking about the overall castle looks or the bright-coloured adventure map. Perhaps YOU are the one who should "Check the evolution polls".

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jun 2006, 16:05

Maybe its from the small number of pixels,I dont know,but all of those look just...rigid to me.But rigid in a good way.Somehow natural.And dark.Even the flashy phoenix looks darker than this one.But hey,like you said,everyone has his own view.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”