BattleLord - how some things should have been done in HoMM-V

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

BattleLord - how some things should have been done in HoMM-V

Unread postby Dalai » 05 May 2006, 09:07

We did not receive hexes on battlefield in HoMM-V. It was too complex to create good interface. Manga turned out to be some ugly disproportional style.

Check this project:
http://www.ag.ru/screenshots/battle_lord/165545

Only few screenshots are available so far. And a few comments from developers. It's not a Heroes clone, it's Adventure/RPG/Tactical. Heroes do not have castles, mines are locations, not just flaggable source of resource.

Game is planned for 2007.

P.S. To save image, you should right-click a tiny image below the big one, not the big one directly.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 05 May 2006, 09:40

Looks suspeciously like Heroes if you ask me...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 May 2006, 13:05

Marzhin wrote:Looks suspeciously like Heroes if you ask me...
Looks like HV shouldve looked.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 05 May 2006, 13:16

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Marzhin wrote:Looks suspeciously like Heroes if you ask me...
Looks like HV shouldve looked.
Well that's your opinion... I like the way H5 looks. It's back to its cartoonish roots.
Dalai wrote:Manga turned out to be some ugly disproportional style.
And by the way, enough of that. There's nothing "manga" in H5. "Cartoonish", maybe, even "comics-like", but if you think H5 is manga-like you obviously never saw a manga...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 05 May 2006, 13:17

Yeah, my thought exactly. It deosn't look like H5; it looks good :-D

Sword of Light: increases attack of hero on 5

Sounds like they plan to have fighting heroes, though the sentence is odd. Anywho, looks like something worth keeping an eye on for sure.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 05 May 2006, 13:56

Marzhin wrote:And by the way, enough of that. There's nothing "manga" in H5. "Cartoonish", maybe, even "comics-like", but if you think H5 is manga-like you obviously never saw a manga...
I even saw a textbook of Manga. I agree - H-V doesn't look like Manga, but that's what Fabrice sais. ;| I don't know why he insists on it. ;|
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 05 May 2006, 14:23

Dalai wrote:
Marzhin wrote:And by the way, enough of that. There's nothing "manga" in H5. "Cartoonish", maybe, even "comics-like", but if you think H5 is manga-like you obviously never saw a manga...
I even saw a textbook of Manga. I agree - H-V doesn't look like Manga, but that's what Fabrice sais. ;| I don't know why he insists on it. ;|
I can't remember Fabrice saying that...

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 05 May 2006, 15:14

Marzhin wrote:I can't remember Fabrice saying that...
It was shortly after first screenshots appeared, and people started talking about anime.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 May 2006, 16:50

Too me it looks French, not anime/manga. And anime is basicaly animated manga, so whatever.

And while that game does look better (IMHO) the HoMMV it doesn't look that great. The hexes do make me nostalgic... they just look so much better than the squares.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 May 2006, 21:24

Marzhin wrote:Well that's your opinion... I like the way H5 looks. It's back to its cartoonish roots.
What?!You call that abomination cartonish as previous versions?Blasphemy!
Marzhin wrote: And by the way, enough of that. There's nothing "manga" in H5. "Cartoonish", maybe, even "comics-like", but if you think H5 is manga-like you obviously never saw a manga...
No,its not manga,its a mixture of styes.It has anime in it(angels and elves for example),toilet graphics(mostly inferno),and some other lousy styles.It looks nothing like HI-III.Hell,even the HIV graphics is better in most cases.Although towns and map do look nice,heroes and units are mostly very bad.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 06 May 2006, 00:58

Hey! That looks cool! :-D I immediately thought about Heroes when I saw those hexes, the creatures lineup side by side, stacknumbers, the spellbook with pictures of the spells, cost and descriptions, the picture of the army, hero with the lvl meter and the blocky graphics :butterfly:
When I think about it, almost everything looks like Heroes!

The graphics on the adventuremap doesn't look superb though. But I think that's because they haven't added (FS)AA, AF and various other graphics enhancing technologies yet. (If memory serves, the open beta of Heroes V haven't incorporated AA and AF).

Thanks for the news though Dalai (Lama) :p

But the devcomments are in russian dammit! We need a translator!
Last edited by Campaigner on 09 May 2006, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 06 May 2006, 08:40

Campaigner wrote:Thanks for the news though Dalai (Lama) :p

But the devcomments are in russian dammit! We need a translator!
Welcome. But I have nothing to do with Lama :D

Where did you find devcomments? I found some in other place - the scarce info in top post is from there. And yes, I can ranslate from Russian. :proud:

Hey, I found some more info:
Developers (Katauri interactive, new name of the team that developed "Space Rangers 2") are working on at least two projects. One of them - Heroes-like game, and the other - BattleLord. The later will be presented on E3 and one more Russian game developers exibition. In one week there will be more information.
Source in Russian - here: http://www.ag.ru/news/05-05-2006#16133

So, no info on Heroes-like game, except it is being developed.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 06 May 2006, 11:19

Ok...so the heroes-like game we just saw isn't the heroes-like game while the secret game is the heres-like game....ok....:|

There was some text directly below each picture and I thought that was the devcomments. Or maybe it's just desciptions?

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 06 May 2006, 11:55

Campaigner wrote:Ok...so the heroes-like game we just saw isn't the heroes-like game while the secret game is the heres-like game....ok....:|
Frankly speaking, the news I was referring to, is not very clear even in Russian :(
I'll try to get comments from developers directly.
There was some text directly below each picture and I thought that was the devcomments. Or maybe it's just desciptions?
I translated this text in p.s. in the first post.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 06 May 2006, 14:36

Yeah that does sound odd, with 2 games... I mean, the pictures above weren't really to similar to Heroes to cause raising of eyebrows in a meaningful way, but if they have a project that is more similar than this, that would likely be "to similar".

Of course, a few pictures are far from the whole story of the game.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 09 May 2006, 16:30

DaemianLucifer wrote:What?!You call that abomination cartonish as previous versions?Blasphemy!
Well, it IS the Hall of the Heretics after all... ;)

But you should be careful before calling "blasphemy" when someone have a different opinion than you. It's a game, not a religion :P

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 May 2006, 17:42

Marzhin wrote: It's a game, not a religion :P
Heretic... :tongue:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 09 May 2006, 17:51

ThunderTitan wrote:Heretic... :tongue:
No wonder I always play Academy :P

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 09 May 2006, 21:08

The Spell book looks fantastic! Much better than the H5 one, (mainly) because it's not tilted; it's also clearly organized and very aesthetic.
The Hero screen also looks very good. The various information is all in one window (no annoying tabs...), and I especially like all the little ornaments that fill some of the empty spaces.
The hex-grid doesn't impress me very much... I really don't see what's with all the fuss with hex vs. squares...
As for the Adventure Map screenshots... I am speechless. (@TT: now I have something to compare H5 with!) The graphics are miraculous and, again, the interface looks great.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 May 2006, 12:38

Marzhin wrote:It's a game, not a religion :P
Youre right,its not a religion,its a way of life :devil:

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”