Starcraft vs Warcraft

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Apr 2006, 20:24

Not necesarly. They just can't do anything against the Overminds will, but that doesn't mean they don't have a mind of their own. Like when the Overmind died Kerrigan got back her free will, not her personality.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Apr 2006, 20:26

ThunderTitan wrote:Not necesarly. They just can't do anything against the Overminds will, but that doesn't mean they don't have a mind of their own. Like when the Overmind died Kerrigan got back her free will, not her personality.
But thats exactly what I meant.And there were rouge cerebrates even while overmind was alive.And with split peronalities,its not always the original person that has the complete control of the body.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 21 Apr 2006, 20:31

Orfinn wrote:Yeah that fits very well. Are there other Protoss words and sentences out there?
I might recall something like: "Eka vashhata" I might be wrong of course, long since I have played SC now.
Here's a page that contains unit quotes from StarCraft:
http://dlh.net/cheats/pc/english/brood+war/faq8.html
Protoss is on the second page. I don't think it has everything though. Also, I distinctly remember some Protoss unit says "power overwhelming" (one of the cheats) when you click it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Apr 2006, 20:35

theLuckyDragon wrote:Also, I distinctly remember some Protoss unit says "power overwhelming" (one of the cheats) when you click it.
Archon says that.
"I told you my name, it's Duran! Duran!"
"Please, please! Tell me now!"
I wonder if they came up with these quotes or the name first.Its hillarious :rofl:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Apr 2006, 20:51

DaemianLucifer wrote: But thats exactly what I meant.And there were rouge cerebrates even while overmind was alive.And with split peronalities,its not always the original person that has the complete control of the body.
That's just it. The Zerg aren't like the Tyranid Hive Mind. He's not formed from all the biomass that is the Zerg, he actualy has a body of it's own, so it's a distinct entity. The Cerebrates are more like his children, they share a part of his knowledge, which shapes their personality, but it's more like learning than having split personalities.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Apr 2006, 20:57

ThunderTitan wrote:He's not formed from all the biomass that is the Zerg, he actualy has a body of it's own, so it's a distinct entity.
Actually,thats not true.Overmind had no body until the zerg took over Aiur.Thats when he got a body.And thats why the templar(forgot which one) had to sacrifice himself in order to kill overmind.Otherwise overmind would continue to live withouth the body like before that.He says once that when the xel-naga(spelling?)created protoss and zerg(himself actually),they gave the body to protos,and the mind to him.

Oh,have you guys heard the special overmind secret song?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Apr 2006, 21:07

Huh?! Remember the cinematic where he hit the planet? And the Eye in the comm chamber before every mission? Why would he want a body that could be destroyed, especialy after he knew that the Dark Templar could kill Cerebrates?! He probably didn't have such a huge body, and could regenerate it no problem, makes more sense that way. En Taro Tassadar!
Of course this is all interpretable, but the SC backstory says that he was created by the Xel'Naga after they made the Zerg to guide them.

And the Prottos where supposed to be perfect in body, but a failure in mind (them rebeling against the Xel'Naga and all), and the Overmind considered itself perfect in mind, cause the Xel'Naga decided to make a perfect mind after the failure of giving perfect bodies to the Protoss.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Apr 2006, 21:23

So,en taro does mean long live.Or eternal glory to.

We wanted to merge himself with the protos,thats why he needed a body on aiur.And the cinematic with the carier hitting the overmind shows tassadar transforming himself and the whole ship into pure energy.Now why would he need to do that if he could kill the rest of the cerebrates with no problem?And one of the cerebrate that got killed by terrans was ressurected.That means that cerebrates dont need physical bodies to love.Thus the overmind doesnt as well.

Oh,and here you can find all of the quotes from starcraft.
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 21 Apr 2006, 21:40, edited 9 times in total.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 Apr 2006, 21:34

He says once that when the xel-naga(spelling?)created protoss and zerg(himself actually),they gave the body to protos,and the mind to him.
Huh? I thought the humans have created the Zerg in labs by taking some lizard, parasitic like creatures from some nearby planets :| But that seems all wrong I see, because as you said I have also heard that the xel-naga created both protoss and zerg.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Apr 2006, 21:41

So,can someone translate these:

Issah'tu!
Gee'hous!
En Taro Adun!
Gau'gurah!
Galahoslos?
Zok Khalados.
Lok pii.
Metonah.
Nagat Zuul.
Khassar'Detemplarii...
Zerah'hah...
Zzz'togh.
Thorasoh'cahp!
Adun Toridas.
Zerashk Gulida.
Neraz Gulio.
Ner'Mah.
Joh'giiv?
Koh'koh rii.
Loh'Klahs?
Ischk'nu?
Kokal'tulah!
Gau'ju!
Ju'ros?
Dunad'wynn.
Nihn'kas Neehn.
J'tokoh Zohl.
Gou'ron.
Nach nagala.
Terra Khala!
Khas Naradak!!

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 21 Apr 2006, 21:47

DaemianLucifer wrote:So,en taro does mean long live.Or eternal glory to.

We wanted to merge himself with the protos,thats why he needed a body on aiur.And the cinematic with the carier hitting the overmind shows tassadar transforming himself and the whole ship into pure energy.Now why would he need to do that if he could kill the rest of the cerebrates with no problem?And one of the cerebrate that got killed by terrans was ressurected.That means that cerebrates dont need physical bodies to love.Thus the overmind doesnt as well.
But the cerebrates are ressurected, made anew. They had their existance ended, and then started again. The Dark Templar energies kept them dead. It doesn't mean that they had an existance in between being 'killed' and ressurected. We simply don't know.

And the new Overmind being formed by the cerebrates. They are creating a new one, out of themselves. A little like breeding. It's not like the Zerg collective consciousness is being remade.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Apr 2006, 21:47

DaemianLucifer wrote: We wanted to merge himself with the protos,thats why he needed a body on aiur.And the cinematic with the carier hitting the overmind shows tassadar transforming himself and the whole ship into pure energy.Now why would he need to do that if he could kill the rest of the cerebrates with no problem?And one of the cerebrate that got killed by terrans was ressurected.That means that cerebrates dont need physical bodies to live.Thus the overmind doesnt as well.
But they need bodies to be able to think. Remember that the Cerebrates we're just resurected by the Overmind, and in the game if you din't use a Dark Templar on them they would just reform if U kill them with other units.

Tassadar destroyed his "soul" or something, as his body would just regenerate. If he was just the conscious of the Zerg wouldn't they lose consciousness when his "spirit" got killed?

The actual mechanics were kinda vague though, so who knows. I wonder if Blizzard even cared about this.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Apr 2006, 22:15

innokenti wrote: But the cerebrates are ressurected, made anew. They had their existance ended, and then started again. The Dark Templar energies kept them dead. It doesn't mean that they had an existance in between being 'killed' and ressurected. We simply don't know.
Well,that sound like what I said:They are split personalities of the overmind and thus when their bodies disappear they return to him.
innokenti wrote: And the new Overmind being formed by the cerebrates. They are creating a new one, out of themselves. A little like breeding. It's not like the Zerg collective consciousness is being remade.
Its more like rebuilding the whole from the bits that got left over.
ThunderTitan wrote: But they need bodies to be able to think. Remember that the Cerebrates we're just resurected by the Overmind, and in the game if you din't use a Dark Templar on them they would just reform if U kill them with other units.
Read the above.
ThunderTitan wrote: Tassadar destroyed his "soul" or something, as his body would just regenerate. If he was just the conscious of the Zerg wouldn't they lose consciousness when his "spirit" got killed?
Ah,but the parts of concienceness of the zerg remained(the cerbrates).
ThunderTitan wrote: The actual mechanics were kinda vague though, so who knows. I wonder if Blizzard even cared about this.
You know very well that they think about it every waking hour :devil:

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 Apr 2006, 22:18

DaemianLucifer wrote:So,can someone translate these:

Issah'tu!
Gee'hous!
En Taro Adun!
Gau'gurah!
Galahoslos?
Zok Khalados.
Lok pii.
Metonah.
Nagat Zuul.
Khassar'Detemplarii...
Zerah'hah...
Zzz'togh.
Thorasoh'cahp!
Adun Toridas.
Zerashk Gulida.
Neraz Gulio.
Ner'Mah.
Joh'giiv?
Koh'koh rii.
Loh'Klahs?
Ischk'nu?
Kokal'tulah!
Gau'ju!
Ju'ros?
Dunad'wynn.
Nihn'kas Neehn.
J'tokoh Zohl.
Gou'ron.
Nach nagala.
Terra Khala!
Khas Naradak!!
Riiiiight :| Someone call in a protoss for those wild words.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Apr 2006, 22:21

They could be just using the ol' genetic memory thing for bringing back the cerebrates. The Overmind just regenerates the bodies and jump starts their genetic memory (ala Dune).

Also, note my previous statement about the Zerg being made before the Overmind. The Cerebrates are actualy just really big versions of the original Zerg bug/worm. The Overmind just made them smarter (using the Xel'Naga knowledge he got when he destroyed them).

Also, the reason that Tassadar had to kill the Overmind is because when a Dark Templar killed a Cerebrate (which died for good, so it must have had a distinct something that died) the Overmind could read that DT's mind. That's how he got the location of Aiur, from Zeratul's mind. But the Cerebrate killed by a DT would stay dead.

@Orfinn:
The Overmind: Now shall the events set into motion so long ago be made complete. For the Protoss, too, were created by the Xel'Naga. They were the first creation, gifted with a purity of form. And we were the second creation, blessed with a purity of essence. Indeed, our two species are but opposite facets of a greater whole.
I have no ideea where you got the ideea that the Terrans made the Zerg. They did know about them before Chau Sara, and had some to study, but they didn't created them.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 29 Apr 2006, 16:48

By all the noobs on this board, why didn't I find this thread earlier??

StarCraft is among the very best games I've ever played. In fact, I still play it (with people I can chat with afterwards, don't like random games).
Any of you people up for a fight? :) I prefer regular StarCraft though....

DaemianLucifer wrote: Oh,and here you can find all of the quotes from starcraft.
The dialog between Zeratul and Duran from the secret mission in the Zerg campaign isn't there. I got a savegame just before the dialog starts though :)

You people also believe that the "thing" that gets discovered in that secret mission will play a major role in the story of StarCraft 2?

Oh, WarCraft III....It's designed for multiplayer and focus on herounits. As Blizzard themselves say: "Heroes are everything!"

I don't like that since it doesn't pay off to split your army to do drops in your enemies base and such. In StarCraft you have alot of small skirmishes. In WarCraft III there is always big army vs big army....

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Apr 2006, 17:24

Campaigner wrote:You people also believe that the "thing" that gets discovered in that secret mission will play a major role in the story of StarCraft 2?
But of course it will.If they ever make the sequel,that is.
Campaigner wrote: Oh, WarCraft III....It's designed for multiplayer and focus on herounits. As Blizzard themselves say: "Heroes are everything!"

I don't like that since it doesn't pay off to split your army to do drops in your enemies base and such. In StarCraft you have alot of small skirmishes. In WarCraft III there is always big army vs big army....
Well you have a very small pop cap in WCIII so you cant make that many armies in the first place.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 29 Apr 2006, 17:55

DaemianLucifer wrote:Well you have a very small pop cap in WCIII so you cant make that many armies in the first place.
Hate that cap....that's what forces you to have your entire army with your hero all the time....wanna play StarCraft? ;)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Apr 2006, 18:12

Yes,I hate that cap as well.Thats why I enjoyed playing EE so much.Almost unlimited army.And cossacs I adore,because there really is an unlimited army.

Never played any game over the net,just in LAN.I always lacked the internet power at my home :( Hmmm...Maybe I could try it now that I finaly have the apropriate tool.Now to find my oldies...

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 29 Apr 2006, 21:57

wc3 is a lot more about micromanaging, that's why the small cap

as for which game i like better it's starcraft a.....all the way :hoo:
I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure...
:oex: winner of the the worst riddle ever :tonguehands:

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”