Fallout

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 25 Nov 2008, 17:19

Not really buggy, though the occasional freeze/lockup isn't unheard of. Had a blue screen once, which fubared my quicksave and my autosave, meaning I had to go back 8 hours.

And good news about the editor, now the game can be made right.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 25 Nov 2008, 22:15

But a homely one... the kind you go to because she reminds you of that motherly lady you used to know, just a lot slutty-er.
...is there something we need to know here, ThunderTitan? something you would like to tell us? :| ;) :D
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Nov 2008, 14:27

Yeah, Freud called... stop pretending you're not like the rest of us...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 26 Nov 2008, 15:32

ThunderTitan wrote:Yeah, Freud called... stop pretending you're not like the rest of us...
bwahaha! relax, i was just kidding with ya, this isnt serious business :rofl:

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 26 Nov 2008, 15:37

TT's jokes: Serious Business.

On topic: some quests are a bit bugged in how they work, meaning things can screw up if you do it in the incorrect order or so. Making a save once in a while that isn't auto or quick is a good idea.
- Duke

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 26 Nov 2008, 15:44

*SPOILER*

the Grayditch quest was broken for me cuz the doctor had died from ants when i got there, and the boy was stuck in a corner in some ruins being beaten bad by 3-4 ants. (well he is immortal like all kids is in Bethesda games so he didnt get hurt but he was trapped.)

so i couldnt fix the ant problem cuz the doctor couldnt give me the quest so i just killed everything in the ant tunnels (including Queen Ant).

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 26 Nov 2008, 17:58

Can't you use the doc's computers and finish the quest that way? There's usually an alternative solution possible.
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Nov 2008, 19:37

Talin_Trollbane wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Yeah, Freud called... stop pretending you're not like the rest of us...
bwahaha! relax, i was just kidding with ya, this isnt serious business :rofl:
but... IT'S THE INTERNET.... 8|
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 29 Nov 2008, 15:16

Here is a good vent about the massively stupid plot. I finished the game last night, and share just about all of the guys frustrations.

Do I have to tell you there are spoilers? I hope not :tongue:

Anyway, a fun thread to read. Random example comment:

"That radio play on GNR should have been the main plot."

SPOILER:

The thing at the very end was the absolute worst IMO: you can't get any of the radiation-immune henchmen available to turn on the purifier. I had the big mutant guy with me, and him telling me that dying in there was my destiny when I ask him to do something that'd take him 5 seconds and with no danger to him whatsoever proves beyond doubt that those who wrote the main plot haven't the slightest idea what Fallout is all about. Most of the side quests are way better written.

... I mean, destiny, for crying out loud! That's for games like knights of the old republic or neverwinter nights.

Now I'm going to play through it again and be 110% more evil, just because. Let me just find a "killable children"-mod first...

"Lol I read somewhere Uwe Boll is going to make a movie based on this game because he thought the story was good."
:D
- Duke

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 29 Nov 2008, 16:39

Yeah, I agree with a lot of his points - the main plot was just stupid. I too couldn't understand what was the reason to so resist the Enclave if their goal was basically the same. In fact, I really liked Eden's plan to kill all the mutants and purify the water but dad couldn't even have known about the plan to kill mutants which makes even less sense. But noes, dad had to "heroically" kill himself including a bunch of Enclave troops, and instead of a dramatic moment and complete shock the good doctor yawns "Listen, we have to run, forget about your dad". Vault dweller responds: "OK, as a puppet who has no free will I must obey, let the dad rot there, who cares about him anyway".

I just had to laugh about this one. :D
"Also, funny how you have to die in a full radiation suit and Rad-Away'd up and Moira survives a nuclear blast a small 50 meters from her house. "

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 29 Nov 2008, 18:15

Well to be fair, the plan wasn't just to kill the mutants (and ghouls), the chemicals would kill everyone tainted by radiation or FEV, meaning everyone who had ever spent time outside a vault. This was their plan in Fallout 2 as well, so hardly imaginative. But the colonels resistance (implied, anyway) to that plan makes sense; there wouldn't be anyone left to lord over.

And while the good doctor James wanted free pure water for all, the Enclave/col. Autumn wanted to control the purifier to control the people. That too makes sense, but refusing to hand it over at all doesn't make too much sense. I mean, pure water for those who obeyed the enclave should be better than no pure water at all. Could always rebell afterwards. I guess daddy doc wasn't as pure and noble afterall: if he can't get the glory from making the purifier, nobody will...
- Duke

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 30 Nov 2008, 00:05

hopefully there will be a huge mod that totally reworks the main quest and add some better endings.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 01 Dec 2008, 00:52

Talin Trollbane wrote:the Grayditch quest was broken for me cuz the doctor had died from ants when i got there, and the boy was stuck in a corner in some ruins being beaten bad by 3-4 ants. (well he is immortal like all kids is in Bethesda games so he didnt get hurt but he was trapped.)
Doctor's fault for hacking their DNA in the first place... :devious:

I would've liked to kill him for all the pain those ants caused me...:S
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 01 Dec 2008, 11:03

yeah i know, i completed the main quest last week, now im just walking around and completing the map.

is it me or is this game boring after the majority of the quests is done?

i found and completed the Nuka Cola collection and now i guess ill look for mods or something.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 27 Apr 2009, 19:37

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I just realised that Fallout 3 promotes shooting kids in the gut. Since they are invulnerable and all, there's no harm... can stab them in the ear too, no problem. What if someone were to believe this to be true, eh. Tsk tsk tsk, the irresponsibility of it...
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Apr 2009, 19:59

I liked it better the way you told me the old games worked; you could shoot kids, but you'd be stamped as a "child killer" and hunted wherever you went; i.e. the game would be almost unplayable unless you were Superman. Right?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 27 Apr 2009, 20:20

Not unplayable (which would be rather stupid), but you will be bugged by bounty hunters (can be fatal at the wrong time, or just a source of free stuff and xp if you're good), and miss out on some lucrative quests.
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Apr 2009, 20:26

Yes; a logical, probable and realistic consequence. Luvvin' that.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Apr 2009, 07:10

Yeah, just look at all those bounty hunters running around Africa after all those child murderers...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 02 May 2009, 11:14

They do often have people trying to kill them, though not necessarily bounty hunters.
- Duke

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”