Fallout

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 18 Nov 2008, 12:42

There isn't a PC version, it's a console game that also works on the PC. What system they made it for doesn't matter, console is a state of mind. I am of course comparing 3 to 1 and 2... character creation and customization is dumbed down so the masses who have played oblivion but not Fallout won't be confused, while the ingame fonts and screens are huge and ugly so they will work on a tv screen.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 18 Nov 2008, 14:02

yeah its basicly Oblivion but with guns and nukes, its a shame that consoles have taken over gaming like they have, no-one seems to be develop pure PC games anymore, most of the time they just do a console - PC port. :disagree:

vanilla Oblivion was epic fail, but with a motherload of homebrew mods it is awesome and enjoyable to play. but still it is noticeable that it was first designated for console release.

vanilla Fallout 3 isnt exactly epic fail, but the story got huge plotholes and the ending was just sad. hopefully Beth will release mod tools so the fans can fix the broken parts.

hopefully GTA will not go the "bad console port" way altough i am abit wary about it.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 19 Nov 2008, 11:55

Talin_Trollbane wrote: vanilla Fallout 3 isnt exactly epic fail, but the story got huge plotholes and the ending was just sad. hopefully Beth will release mod tools so the fans can fix the broken parts.
Agreed, it's much better than Oblivion out of the box. And fortunately, skillfull people have already made great progress in improving at least the game mechanics through hex-editing. Modding tools is a must, if and when they releases them the game can be made to shine.

Haven't played through to the end yet, but I've enjoyed the bits of storytelling so far, at least from sidequests. The main plot if fairly predictable, but what main plot isn't.

Read some funny arguments on other boards where people complain about some stuff, like the Tenpenny tower quests. Not to give too much away, but you'll be hard pressed to device a fairytale happy ending to that set of quests. Which is upsetting some people. Aww... GO BACK TO *insert fluffy game here* :D

And the same goes to you "the graphics are too bleak"-people :tongue:
- Duke

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 19 Nov 2008, 14:15

Hey, little curious right now. What kind of mods make Oblivion better?
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 19 Nov 2008, 14:45

Just check the most downloaded mods and you'll see. ;) A heavily modded Oblivion with both expansions is an entirely different game compared with the vanilla edition.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 19 Nov 2008, 16:43

I like the Vanilla one very much, if I could enhance that, itwill be awesome!

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 19 Nov 2008, 16:48

darknessfood wrote:I like the Vanilla one very much, if I could enhance that, itwill be awesome!
Heresy! 8|

This mod adds item descriptions to Fallout 3, and it looks surprisingly good. So good in fact, that one wonders "Why isn't this in the game in the first place."

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=430
- Duke

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 19 Nov 2008, 16:52

Sorry Ethric :P...

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 19 Nov 2008, 19:05

Ethric wrote:
darknessfood wrote:I like the Vanilla one very much, if I could enhance that, itwill be awesome!
Heresy! 8|

This mod adds item descriptions to Fallout 3, and it looks surprisingly good. So good in fact, that one wonders "Why isn't this in the game in the first place."

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=430
I bet it wasn't very hard to create it, just modify some Oblivion files or an already existing mod with Construction Set and there you have a Fallout 3 mod. :tongue:

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 19 Nov 2008, 19:13

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting it; I have no idea how hard it was to do. But the result is good, and it's a pity even such a basic thing as item descriptions have to be modded into the game.
- Duke

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 19 Nov 2008, 19:16

What he meant was that its basicly the same engine that Oblivion used, just tweaked a bit...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 19 Nov 2008, 21:45

Yeah, if only they'd tweaked a bit more.
- Duke

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 23 Nov 2008, 03:35

Well I've been playing Fallout III. I must say, it's a lot more impressive than I thought it was going to be. :)

I love blowing people's heads off. :devil:
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 23 Nov 2008, 14:06

winterfate wrote:Well I've been playing Fallout III. I must say, it's a lot more impressive than I thought it was going to be. :)

I love blowing people's heads off. :devil:
till you encounter the ending and the many plotholes and very strange situations. (Little Lamplight anyone?)
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 23 Nov 2008, 19:12

My new Warrior of the Wastes:

The biggest problem of this game is that it ends too fast, too suddenly and without the option to keep playing after the main quest is done. Not being able to level past 20, also makes it shorter: after a while you won't feel motivated to explore. Nevertheless it's 50-60 hours of fun.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Nov 2008, 20:44

Wow, she look homely even...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 23 Nov 2008, 22:51

Looks like a weary prostitute.

About the leveling thing, it was one of the first things to be modded. And there are lots of other good correctifying mods too. Go to fallout3nexus and get yours today! ;)
- Duke

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 24 Nov 2008, 04:52

So are we supposed to look at her with lust? :tongue: She looks like a female Rambo.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Nov 2008, 07:33

Ethric wrote:Looks like a weary prostitute.
But a homely one... the kind you go to because she reminds you of that motherly lady you used to know, just a lot slutty-er.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 25 Nov 2008, 16:55

So is the game buggy?

Edit:
Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax Media company, today announced plans to make both its editor and downloadable content available for its award-winning game, Fallout® 3 in the coming weeks. The official editor for Fallout 3, called the G.E.C.K. (Garden of Eden Creation Kit), will be available for free download in December and will allow Games for Windows® users to create and add their own content to the game.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”