Fallout

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 28 Oct 2008, 16:35

Yes. The fallout games are "free roaming" games that let you explore and go wherever you want to. Of course you can get yourself way in over your head too. :)

There are lots of quests. If you don't spoil the game with walkthroughs you'll have lots of game play in each game. Plus with all the different skills you can make different kinds of characters so there is lots of replayability. My favorite way to make characters are as snipers or martial artists.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 28 Oct 2008, 16:39

Gamespot gave Fallout 3 a 9/10. I'm totally psyched for this game. The first two were some of the best games I ever played.

@AS

You can play the games in whatever size chunks you want. They're long RPGs, of course, but (IIRC) you can save whenever you want, so if you only have 20-30 minutes at a time, it's not a problem. The older games have aged well. As a fan of RPGs, you should pick them up.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Oct 2008, 16:47

It's just that with short playing sessions, it's easy to lose track of what you need to do in a RPG. It was a problem for me in Morrowind (a game that I otherwise enjoyed). Things would be different if I didn't already spend 7+ hours a day in front of the computer at work.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Oct 2008, 17:27

Ethric wrote:Seems the collectors edition will be available, and they offered me fastest shipping cost-free.
Yeah, the fastest shipping... meaning they'll stick it in an envelope, put a stamp on it and post it. :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 28 Oct 2008, 17:36

Angelspit wrote:It's just that with short playing sessions, it's easy to lose track of what you need to do in a RPG. It was a problem for me in Morrowind (a game that I otherwise enjoyed). Things would be different if I didn't already spend 7+ hours a day in front of the computer at work.
Fallout isn't as "bad" as Morrowind with regard to loosing your track (just crawling out from some nameless dungeon far into the sticks, full of loot but wondering "Where was I on my way to again..."). I only played through Fallout 1 once so can't recall for sure, but at least in 2 you have a simple to use overview of current quests broken down by area, and you got your map.

Overall excellent games, rock-solid design and storytelling, with a refreshing lack of moralization.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Oct 2008, 17:44

Thanks for the info. I feel like giving it a try. Classic gaming FTW.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 28 Oct 2008, 18:06

Angelspit wrote:It's just that with short playing sessions, it's easy to lose track of what you need to do in a RPG.
True, but that's why I like when the Quest Book or Journal or whatever explains what you have to do, and reminds you what the quest is about :D
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 28 Oct 2008, 22:02

A major difference between Fallout and Morrowind in this regard is that in Fallout, the wilderness is just something you travel through on the overland map, while having the occasional random encounter. It's nothing there to get lost in, as such.
- Duke

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 29 Oct 2008, 17:03

Because this game is SO good, people buy it everywhere. Even on STEAM (from Valve), where thousants of people bought it, and so they may download it. Problem is that the servers can't handle such a big ammount of downloaders from 1 file, and people now have to go with downloading a 7 gig file with 50kbs.
Bottomline: BUY THE FREAKING REALL THING RETARDS!!!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 29 Oct 2008, 17:10

The Half Life 2 preloading/release was a pain as well (four years ago already!). But after a little while it got better.

My girlfriend was looking everywhere for her Sims 2 CD last night, and I couldn't help but think how Steam can be handy.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 29 Oct 2008, 17:14

STEAM is great, I really like the idea. You can play your games ANYWHERE. Bought Counter Strike Source in store, installed STEAM, put in the code, and the game is mine. No bullshitting, really simple and it works great :)!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 31 Oct 2008, 01:37

Does anybody have this game yet?I do, and it's AMAZING. The whole atmosphere, characters, gameplay elements visuals, music. All is good on this game. To run it you don't even need a big pimped up computer. It detects what you can handle and you are good to go. I play it on a Intel Celeron 2.2 ghz, 2 gig memory, OS: XP, Radaon X800/X850 series, and it runs GREAT!

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 31 Oct 2008, 07:17

Yeah I played through up to where you escape from the vault tonight so I'm not very far along. The "early years" were funny. Hopefully I'll have more time this weekend.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 31 Oct 2008, 13:44

darknessfood wrote:I play it on a Intel Celeron 2.2 ghz, 2 gig memory, OS: XP, Radaon X800/X850 series, and it runs GREAT!
Makes me wonder if it would run on a Pentium 4 2.2 Ghz, 1 Gid, Radeon 9800... :D I nearly wish that my computer would die and force me to replace it. I need it for work after all *cough cough*.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 31 Oct 2008, 15:02

Angel, I think you might be able to ru it. Maybe not at FULL FORCE, but it's about the game itself, an not the graphics. I would say,pick it up and try it out, or be naugty, download it and see if you can handle it, and then buy it :)!

Yeah the early years are done pretty nicely, really set the atmosphere good...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Oct 2008, 16:29

I just watched the ending videos. A bit boring.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 31 Oct 2008, 16:36

Maybe for now, but when you played the game, I think it makes more sense...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 31 Oct 2008, 17:01

Kalah wrote:I just watched the ending videos. A bit boring.
Without having actually played through, I presume? Seems little point in that.
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Oct 2008, 18:28

Yeah, I'm not going to play it, so I just thought I'd watch the videos and see what's what. Didn't give me much, but I'm sure they'll be better for someone who has played the games and is a fan of the series. Graphics was all right.

My biggest problem with the videos is something else. They have this "alternate ending" thing, but the majority of the different videos are alike. I set otu to watch two completely different endings, and end up watching the same video twice, with thirty seconds of it being different. Most games with alternate endings are like this, they're usually not completely different from one another.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 02 Nov 2008, 07:53

My grumpy old sniper is now level 6. Here he has taken town a super mutant and is preparing to loot him. He doesn't have a sniper rifle yet, he is using a hunter's rifle in the picture. He wears leather armor because heavy armor hinders sneaking.

I'm not building him exactly like I had planned to start off with, but pretty similar.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”