Fallout

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Apr 2007, 12:15

Campaigner wrote:Changing core mechanics should require that the number is not used and instead a name.
C&C: Generals?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 15 May 2007, 19:49

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 22 May 2007, 12:03

I don't trust Bethesda as far as I could throw something really really heavy, and expect them to make a complete mockery of the concept that will infuriate old fanst but nevertheless sell well because of the famous brand and thus be regarded a success. But we'll see, they've mentioned dropping a teaservideo in a few weeks.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 22 May 2007, 18:16

Visit http://fallout.bethsoft.com/ for new art & soundtrack.

ps: soundtrack sucks, i hope it won't be in the game.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 22 May 2007, 21:08

You mean that soundtrack playing at the page? It's... thoroughly generic. It's not really worth having an opinion on.
- Duke

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 23 May 2007, 02:08

I wonder, how many of you have played the Fallout games? I've only tried them last year for 10min and wasn't impressed. Looked SO OLD! But I'll certainly try Fallout 3 though.

Ethric: Boy, do you sound negative :S Got ganked in WoW or something? :p

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 23 May 2007, 02:18

They are old but they are classics. You have to give them more than 10 minutes.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 23 May 2007, 04:32

Yeah, you have to give it more than 10 minutes! You aren't even close to being out of your starting village in Fallout 2 in 10 minutes!

The combat is tactical, turn based, which I like. Thre are some interesting characters and I like the skill system. You can put together lots of different kinds of characters and there is a wide variety of weapons.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 23 May 2007, 13:11

Campaigner wrote: Ethric: Boy, do you sound negative :S Got ganked in WoW or something? :p
I have never tried or even seen WoW played, and proud of it :proud:

Assuming you meant world of warcraft and not winds of war that is, but hard to get ganked in winds of war ;)

As for my negativity, well we see time and again how companies screw up games, being optimistic about any sequel seems quite naive to me, at least before you have extensive information about it.

And as said, Fallout requires more than 10 minutes. Personally I've only played Fallout 2, the old graphics doesn't bother me because they are so well made. All the various death-animations, like being melted by a plasma rifle, having your innards shot out or being splatted point blank by minigun :D The story, the scenery, the details, it's all great and replayability is huge. Quests have plenty of ways to be completed, there are so many variables involved when talking to people, which means you really get a sense of what you doing having an effect.

However one big reason it requires more than 10 minutes is because you'll be spending those 10 minutes in the starting temple of trials, which admittedly is rather dull. But that's the one dull part :)
- Duke

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 23 May 2007, 17:33

Fallout and Fallout 2 are definitely among the best, if not the best, RPGs ever made. They may not be flashy by today's standards, but they are still playable. I still love the death animations.

I eagerly away Fallout 3, but like E I have some reservations until I learn more.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Monteniger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Monteniger » 23 May 2007, 20:52

I also played just Fallout 2 and it's one of my favourite games...
I remember when I saw intro and got hooked up immediately!!! Also loved mutants,skill system and the whole atmosphere...

I worried about 3 because it's made with oblivion engine (which is just fine for medieval - magic RPGs but for guns and post-nuclear era...) , and the music on the site is just too oblivion-like (what about some really dark music without the whole epic-orchestra) ...
And also I doubt that F3 will be turn-based ...

And I would like if they'll include some original creators of Fallout...

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 23 May 2007, 23:07

If they don't make Fallout3 turn based then it will not be Fallout.

It would be kinda like making HOMM6 real time. Then it wouldn't be HOMM anymore.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 23 May 2007, 23:30

Don't jinx it for us GOW.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 24 May 2007, 06:11

Monteniger wrote: And also I doubt that F3 will be turn-based ...
Did anyone ever saw game with elements of TB gameplay and First Person view ?

Monteniger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Monteniger » 24 May 2007, 08:40

MistWeaver wrote: Did anyone ever saw game with elements of TB gameplay and First Person view ?
I didn't ... Maybe there is one ... and they can make it to be in First Person View until combat? ... Then the game could zoom-out and TB part could begin... just a thought...

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 24 May 2007, 09:08

Monteniger wrote:
MistWeaver wrote: Did anyone ever saw game with elements of TB gameplay and First Person view ?
I didn't ... Maybe there is one ... and they can make it to be in First Person View until combat? ... Then the game could zoom-out and TB part could begin... just a thought...
I think that would be totally weird for a party based game that has tactical turn based combat. If you only see you most of the time the game will lose a big part of the party "flavor", at least for me.

Showing all the characters as you are moving lets you for example pause a couple of characters to provide cover for advancing characters in areas where you suspect you may encounter hostile forces, so you can use tactics and position your party before the combat starts.

GOW

Monteniger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Monteniger » 24 May 2007, 09:40

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: I think that would be totally weird for a party based game that has tactical turn based combat. If you only see you most of the time the game will lose a big part of the party "flavor", at least for me.

Showing all the characters as you are moving lets you for example pause a couple of characters to provide cover for advancing characters in areas where you suspect you may encounter hostile forces, so you can use tactics and position your party before the combat starts.

GOW
I agree ... It would totally loose that flavour that I love in RPG games... That way of playing reminded me of MM games :) ...
We just have to wait until the trailer and hopefully we'll know what to expect...

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 May 2007, 12:16

MistWeaver wrote:Did anyone ever saw game with elements of TB gameplay and First Person view ?
Wizardry 8.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 24 May 2007, 12:20

Gaidal Cain wrote:
MistWeaver wrote:Did anyone ever saw game with elements of TB gameplay and First Person view ?
Wizardry 8.
You're right. And .. hell, M&M. But fights in these games were more about close combat, while F more about guns :) .
And they had no tactics in meaning how F 1/2/BOS had it.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 28 May 2007, 02:34

I really liked Wiz 8, but the combat graphics were not so good. The monsters just formed ranks and kind of danced their way up to you.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”